walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Rum Cool Yins

The Rum Cool Yins

Postby mountain thyme » Sun May 31, 2015 11:13 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ainshval, Askival

Fionas included on this walk: Trallval

Date walked: 19/05/2015

Time taken: 11.1 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 1668m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

These ‘wee hills’ (according to munro baggers ) have been on my to do list since last year. Headed over to Rum with the Glasgow Hillwalking Club on the Monday. £19.50 return on the ferry from Mallaig. The Rum Bunkhouse is a 10 minute walk from the pier and the Kinloch House Youth Hostel is about a 20 minute walk. There are folk from the accommodation available to carry your bags if required.

Felt knackered and was sleeping on the ferry from mallaig and then when I arrived at the bunkhouse. Arrggghhh. Seemingly had a viral infection. Not good especially when a long day lay ahead of us.
The Rum Bunkhouse was £23 each a night. Its lovely and very modern, with a huge kitchen, sitting area, showers and good size rooms.
Pulled myself together and went a wee wander with the others to see Kinloch House and the Otter hide.

Whilst sitting in the bunkhouse on the Monday night 4 fit guys in their 40s appeared from the Cuillins and could hardly walk. It took them 13 hours 30 minutes and they said the walk passed the Bothy and along the beach was over 2hours and was a bogfest. So the way I was feeling I knew then I wouldn’t be coming back that route so had a good look at the map to see other options.

There were 12/13 of us for the walk. We headed from the Rum Bunkhouse towards Kinloch Castle. Just before reaching the Castle theres a signpost for Rum Cuillins.
RUM1.jpg
Towards Kinloch House

RUM2.jpg
Start of the walk

We headed up this track passing the Castle on the right and passing a wee bridge on the left.
RUM3.jpg
Kinloch House

RUM4.jpg
Passing the Wee bridge

Continued on and passed a derelict house on the right and then onto the open country side.
RUM5.jpg
Waterworks

RUM7.jpg
Up towards Hallivall

RUM8.jpg

RUM9.jpg

We followed the Allt Slugan a Choilich south towards the north ridge of Hallival. We followed the path along to the summit of Hallival. From the summit of Hallival towards Askival involves a wee bit of a scramble. One of the girls struggled a bit here with a couple of us keeping a close eye on her.
RUM10.jpg
UP to Hallivall

RUM11.jpg

RUM12.jpg

RUM13.jpg

RUM14.jpg

Once south from Hallival, we stopped at the bealach for lunch before the ascent up towards Askival.
RUM15.jpg
Towards Askival

Theres a good path up the ridge towards Askival which involves a bit of scrambling or there is the bypass path on the left. A couple opted for the scramble along the crest, while the majority took the bypass path south towards Askival.
RUM16.jpg
Askival

Once at the summit Corbett of Askival, we stopped here for a quick picture and drink. There were cracking views over to Skye from the top. Here 2 of the guys decided to call it a day and headed back down the way they came.
RUM17.jpg
Askival

RUM18.jpg
Summit of Askival. Cheese Donnie

The rest of us headed west and steeply down to the bealach an Oir. Here we stopped for a quick refuel and admired the views over to Eigg. There were chats about skirting around the side of Trallvall to get to the Corbett Ainshval. The decision was made to take in the graham at this point and I was so glad I did. This was a total surprise to me.
RUM19.jpg
Towards trallval. Donnie leads the way

RUM20.jpg

RUM21.jpg
Trallval with muck behind.

We continued west towards Trallval. Again this involved a great wee scramble with one down climb and then another scramble up to the summit of the graham Trallval. This was a stunning wee hill, with great views towards Muck and over to Ainshval. Folk were keen to sit here for ages taking in the superb views.
RUM22.jpg
me on Trallval

RUM23.jpg
me again

RUM24.jpg
me again!!

RUM25.jpg
and again!!

From here we headed south down towards the Bealach an Ehuarain. From here another 3 folk decided to call it a day. I was feel a bit knackered, but the Corbett was in sight so I couldn’t resist :)

From the bealach 2 folk decided to scramble up the crest of the ridge. I wasn’t giving it a go as the rock was soaking and I was gubbed. The rest of us headed southwest and took the right hand path around the bottom of the Corbett up towards the ridge which crosses over and the path leads to the left hand side of the hill. A good path leads right up to the summit of Ainshval.

By this point I was knackered and was nearly lying on the summit, passing my camera to Donnie to take summit pictures. Well done to Donnie for keeping a fairly quick pace all day and me leading from the back again!!!

From here, the decision was made to retrace our steps to the bealach and then skirt around the east side of Trallval and back to the Bealach an Oir. Here we stopped to refuel and then skirted around the west side of ASkival, towards the Bealach Bairc Mheall and back to pick up the path towards Kinloch Castle. All in a long day taking 11 hours and 10 hours, saved time by avoiding the bogfest from the Dibidil Bothy.

A couple of well deserved drinks in the bunkhouse that night.

A few folk headed to Kinloch Castle the following day for the £9 tour of it. 5 of us kidded on we were from the east coast and juked on the ferry without paying at 12noon from Rum to Canna (and back to Rum and then Mallaig) and spent a good hour exploring Canna. Would definitely recommend a visit to Canna if time allows,
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by mountain thyme on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: The Cool Yins

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:20 pm

Great report. Rum looks amazing, must go there, as I have been telling myself for 20 years or more...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby basscadet » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:00 pm

Aye, looks amazing, I canny wait.. Felt soooo jealous reading that :lol:
Was supposed to be going recently but the weather looked atrocious, so ended up on Mallorca instead :?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Sunny Speyside » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi
Good report. I was over on Rum the first weekend in May but didn't manage Ainshval - we too were with a group and the day took longer than expected on Hallival and Askival and we didn't want to miss our dinner so had to choose between the Graham or the second Corbett . Trallval is a brilliant hill we so made the right choice. :clap: Though the long traverse back around the boulder fields of the Atlantic Corrie will live long in the memory.
Like you we did the mini Hebridean Cruise to Canna and I think it deserves a longer visit next time.
All in all Rum and its neighbours are brilliant wee islands to explore.
Cheers
Sunny Speyside
Stravaiging

Munros:253   Corbetts:62
Fionas:34   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:17   

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Nice one Theresa, those 'little' hills look rather impressive 8)
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:59 pm

Great report Theresa, that looks a great day out, all fine hills, pity I missed it. Some good information for when I do visit :D Glad you made the three tops considering you were not feeling your best, nice one! :) :clap:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:25 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Great report. Rum looks amazing, must go there, as I have been telling myself for 20 years or more...

Cheers Mal Grey. It was amazing. Defo recommend these hills. :D

basscadet wrote:Aye, looks amazing, I canny wait.. Felt soooo jealous reading that :lol:
Was supposed to be going recently but the weather looked atrocious, so ended up on Mallorca instead :?

Cheers Seana we were lucky with the weather. Had a wee bit of rain only. Majorca later in the summer for me.

Sunny Speyside wrote:Hi
Good report. I was over on Rum the first weekend in May but didn't manage Ainshval - we too were with a group and the day took longer than expected on Hallival and Askival and we didn't want to miss our dinner so had to choose between the Graham or the second Corbett . Trallval is a brilliant hill we so made the right choice. :clap: Though the long traverse back around the boulder fields of the Atlantic Corrie will live long in the memory.
Like you we did the mini Hebridean Cruise to Canna and I think it deserves a longer visit next time.
All in all Rum and its neighbours are brilliant wee islands to explore.
Cheers

Cheers Evie. Trallval is afantastic hill. I totally didnt expect that :shock: And youre right the wee islands are worth a visit :)

Fife Flyer wrote:Nice one Theresa, those 'little' hills look rather impressive 8)

Cheers Martin they are :lol: :lol:

The Rodmiester wrote:Great report Theresa, that looks a great day out, all fine hills, pity I missed it. Some good information for when I do visit :D Glad you made the three tops considering you were not feeling your best, nice one! :) :clap:

Cheers Rod. Shame you couldnt make it. You would have really enjoyed them :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Re: The Rum Cool Yins

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:07 pm

Nice one! Looks awesome :clap: Looks a big day :shock: wouldn't fancy carrying the tent over those though ..which i guess is the alternative?! I was on Rum and Eigg last year but the weather wasn't good enough for the ridge . Still enjoyed my time there exploring some of the wee outlying hills :D wouldn't recommend the ferry crossing in a storm though! :shock:
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby simon-b » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:13 pm

The Rum Cuillin always look good when you see them from the mainland or other islands. So I'm not surprised you wanted to climb them. Good stuff MT.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby malky_c » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:27 pm

You had good luck with the weather - can't wait to visit Rum 8) . Hopefully this is where the bagging nonsense is going to end for me, not too far in the future :wink:
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:21 pm

Nice one Theresa, they look great. That's another island I need to get to now :lol:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:30 pm

Ooooh I enjoyed that Theresa :clap: :clap:

Thanks for giving us such a detailed account of the Rum hills- I was completely clueless about what they were like :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:27 pm

Nice WR - does look a rather interesting place to explore esp with the an imposing looking Kinloch House. have been to quite a few of the islands but not here yet - maybe some day - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mountain thyme » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:45 pm

SAVAGEALICE wrote:Nice one! Looks awesome :clap: Looks a big day :shock: wouldn't fancy carrying the tent over those though ..which i guess is the alternative?! I was on Rum and Eigg last year but the weather wasn't good enough for the ridge . Still enjoyed my time there exploring some of the wee outlying hills :D wouldn't recommend the ferry crossing in a storm though! :shock:

Cheers Alice. Theres a campsite outside the new bunkhouse in Rum if youre looking to camp :)

simon-b wrote:The Rum Cuillin always look good when you see them from the mainland or other islands. So I'm not surprised you wanted to climb them. Good stuff MT.

Cheers Simon

malky_c wrote:You had good luck with the weather - can't wait to visit Rum 8) . Hopefully this is where the bagging nonsense is going to end for me, not too far in the future :wink:

We had a wee bit of rain only but yeah had a good day. Are you planning your last corbett and last graham here??

Beaner001 wrote:Nice one Theresa, they look great. That's another island I need to get to now :lol:

Thanks Matthew. Defo get yourself over there :D

pollyh33 wrote:Ooooh I enjoyed that Theresa :clap: :clap:

Thanks for giving us such a detailed account of the Rum hills- I was completely clueless about what they were like :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Thanks Pauline :)

rockhopper wrote:Nice WR - does look a rather interesting place to explore esp with the an imposing looking Kinloch House. have been to quite a few of the islands but not here yet - maybe some day - cheers :)

Cheers RH. Im sure youd be able to take in the cuillins and still make it back down in time to visit Kinloch House and the rest of the island in the same day :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:22 pm

One things for sure....theres no mistaking that 'At' :lol:

Great report T, looks a great place :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland