walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Rinnes

Ben Rinnes

Postby Dhugs » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:49 pm

Route description: Ben Rinnes ascent

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Rinnes

Date walked: 30/05/2015

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 541m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I decided to revisit Ben Rinnes for the first time in fourteen years. The last time was my 1st ever winter walk back when I was at university. This time round there was no snow on the ground but the top looked to be wreathed in cloud. It was cool & overcast, so on the plus side there was little danger of overheating or sunburn.

I left the car park and headed up the path. On the way up there's a nice flat rock that's perfect to have a sit down on & enjoy the view. I took a five minute breather before heading on.

2.jpg

1.jpg
Looking up to Roy's Hill. The water in this puddle was only one inch deep.

I found the path to be in a decent state and was able to make good time. I found Round Hill & Roy's Hill to be natural stopping points (for me, anyway) to rehydrate & take the weight off my boots. The Black Banks were much more challenging. As I ascended it got noticeably cooler & as I got into the cloud the temperature dropped again.

3.jpg
This looks pleasant...

The rain stopped & started before finally deciding to come on in sheets. Well, that's what the waterproofs are for & so suitable garbed I kept at it (albeit head down under my hood).

On top of the hill visibility was down to maybe 60', so having arrived at the trig point roughly two hours after setting off I gave it a friendly pat on its top then descended into the lee of a rock formation. Out of the wind I had a snack & a sit down for a short time. Due to the weather & lack of visibility I didn't hang about. I said hello to a couple who arrived shortly after me I began to descend.

The rock formation Scurran of Lochterlandoch looked interesting, but I wasn't hanging about due to the weather.

About a third of the way down the weatehr improved for a while. Hopefully the next time I climb Ben Rinnes I'll be able to get some nice pictures from the top.

5.jpg
The Black Banks. A good work out for the leg muscles.

4.jpg
Glen Rinnes

Just after I got back to the car the heavens opened up again, so I was grateful for having arrived when I did. I'd passed a family of five just five minutes from the car park, so had to feel a bit sorry for them still out in the downpour.

After some lunch it was time to head back into town.
Dhugs
Mountaineer

Munros:15   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1

Re: Ben Rinnes

Postby Phil the Hill » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:16 pm

I was admiring this hill from Aberlour the evening before your ascent, so it's nice to see a report for it. I'd have been up it myself that Saturday if I hadn't had to start the long drive home :( The summit tors looked interesting.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby teaandpies » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:31 pm

I have also only looked at it from afar

Ben Rinnes from the Craigellachie bridge (690x388).jpg
Ben Rinnes from Craigellachie Bridge
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby PeteR » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:22 pm

Nice one :clap: :D This little hill is on my to-do list as part of a day in these parts ticking off a few Corbetts on a long summers day.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby dogplodder » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:00 pm

A nice hill this. Took my grandkids up and they loved scrambling on the rocks at the top. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland