walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Miserable in Glen Douglas

Miserable in Glen Douglas

Postby malky_c » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:02 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac (Loch Lomond), Tullich Hill

Date walked: 31/05/2015

Time taken: 3.1 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 870m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grahams: Beinn Bhreac, Tullich Hill.
Date: 31/05/2015.
Distance: 8.5km.
Ascent: 870m.
Time taken: 3 hours, 10 minutes
Weather: Mostly in cloud, windy, persistent miserable rain.

The final installment of last weekend's trip to the Loch Lomond area. Having driven over from Loch Arklet to Glen Douglas the previous evening, I slept in the car and planned to make an early start on this pair, hopefully followed by Beinn Dubh later on. It rained all through the night and was still unpleasant in the morning, but as I'd made the effort to get here rather than go back to Glasgow the previous evening, I thought I'd stick to the plan. Maybe it would brighten up :?: :wtf: :crazy:

Douglas.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

West along Glen Douglas from Invergroin:

The parking area is a little east of Invergroin, but I just followed the edge of the forestry plantation up rather than walking along to the house. The rain had eased but there was nothing to see. At one point a rather eerie ferry announcement from the cruiser at Inverbeg drifted up.

On the summit, the rain came back with a vengeance. I had fancied this as a morning walk as the best light would be on the Arrochar Alps then, and Beinn Reoch would probably be the best place to see them from. With no views, I decided to miss out Beinn Reoch altogether and get this over with as soon as possible. A steep downward traverse took me through An t-Sreang, where a combination of the low elevation and drifting clag made Tullich Hill look massive. As well as the rain, the wind had now increased. Great!

A weave up through potentially interesting crags took me onto the plateau and to the summit cairn. There was a hint of a clearing here, and suddenly I could see down Loch Long. Views of some description remained for the descent of the grassy south ridge, including of the extensive MOD enclosure on the other side of the glen (missing from most maps).

Glen Douglas from Tullich Hill:

Across to the MOD depot in Glen Douglas:

Down Loch Long:

I was down at Invergroin shortly after 10am and back at the car a few minutes later. Although now clear, an ascent of Beinn Dubh would probably take me past my lunchtime deadline. It still didn't look great anyway and I was soaking. Instead I drove down to Luss, dried off and got changed in the public toilets, had a coffee and threw out a weekend's worth of accumulated rubbish from the car. As I drove back into Glasgow, the sun came out :roll:

Great weekend, rubbish ending. If you've just read all of this report, apologies for wasting your time :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Miserable in Glen Douglas

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:11 pm

Great report Malky, best yet :wink:

I did these hills in nice warm weather, but underfoot was very wet. Can only imagine how crap they would be in those conditions.

I read your Ben Lomond report last night, wonderful stuff :)

Oh, and I liked your Ben Venue report. I've actually asceneded that shoulder to the summit :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:50 am

Looks a nice route..... but doing it in that?

Bonkers. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:36 pm

hmmm - all you mad baggers are the same....out in all weathers just to get some ticks :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: can't see me ever doing that sort of thing :wink: :wink:
Good loop for a nice wander - maybe one for a winter's day for me - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:45 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:33 pm

Well that's a bloody miserable ending Malky, though I confess I still enjoyed reading it. Had a good hill drenching myself recently and it reminded me of home :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:49 pm

Lol, your sum boy Malky :lol:
I'm sitting in a cottage on Arran with sunburn reading this :lol: :lol:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland