walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wasdale Horseshoe 12: Yewbarrow to Scafell - & clear sky!

Wasdale Horseshoe 12: Yewbarrow to Scafell - & clear sky!

by Alteknacker » Mon May 04, 2015 11:22 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Esk Pike, Great End, Great Gable, Kirk Fell, Lingmell, Pillar, Red Pike (Wasdale), Scafell, Scafell Pike, Scoat Fell, Yewbarrow

Hewitts included on this walk: Esk Pike, Great End, Great Gable, Ill Crag, Kirk Fell, Kirk Fell East Top, Lingmell, Pillar, Pillar - Black Crag, Red Pike (Wasdale), Scafell, Scafell Pike, Scoat Fell, Yewbarrow, Yewbarrow North Top

Date walked: 01/05/2015

Time taken: 11.5

Distance: 27.2 km

Ascent: 3099m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Wasdale Horseshoe 12: Yewbarrow to Scafell - & clear sky

Postby stevesey » Fri May 29, 2015 10:45 pm

Well done! I did the Woolpack Walk last year, had the excitement for Lords Rake to keep me going on the final up, another 500m to that on top of that would probably have killed me off. I am much fitter this year, might have to have a go one day (need to get to 214 first)!
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:18 pm

dav2930 wrote:Great report of what has to be one of the best big walks in the Lakes! This is one I had planned a couple of years ago and never got round to. Good fitness training for Cuillin Ridge I reckon. I'd say 11 hours is a pretty good time - I'm sure it would take me rather longer than that. Good effort! :clap:

Thanks Dave. Funny you should say that it's good training for the Cuillin Ridge, because that's exactly what it was intended to be!!! I'm planning to do the Ridge again this year as soon as there's a high over Skye! So you could whisper a little prayer for me....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:14 am

stevesey wrote:Well done! I did the Woolpack Walk last year, had the excitement for Lords Rake to keep me going on the final up, another 500m to that on top of that would probably have killed me off. I am much fitter this year, might have to have a go one day (need to get to 214 first)!

I'd never heard of the Woolpack Walk, but, having looked it up, it looks interesting! - 2 intersecting horseshoes ( Woolpack and Wasdale). Next time...

As you'll have seen from my WR, I can really recommend the Wasdale Head horseshoe (provided the weather is quarter way reasonable); but what's this about getting to 214??? Is this some kind of esoteric code ..?? ... :?: Should we all aspire to get to 214? (I haven't even reached a third of that yet.... :problem:)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby stevesey » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:47 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Funny you should say that it's good training for the Cuillin Ridge, because that's exactly what it was intended to be!!! I'm planning to do the Ridge again this year as soon as there's a high over Skye! So you could whisper a little prayer for me....

Hmm - that's what I've been getting fitter for as well. More of a dream at present - need to work out a proper plan. Have a couple of friends who were trying to get a weekend in last year (nearly went with them - but after a practice in Wales I dropped out - they are fitter and good climbers and I'm novice - didn't want to hold them back). They never got the weather break last year and things aren't doing much better this year. They are looking for a window where they can travel on Friday, do it Sat/Sun and come back on Monday - I'm getting doubtful about those sort of plans - think you need to go for a week when the weather looks promising and then work around the weather you get.

Off to Wasdale on Wed - for a Mosedale horseshoe (having a look at Pillar Rock) and a couple of wild camps (9kg pack to get up 550m in <2hrs will be a good fitness benchmark), then a 15 Wainwright Kentmere horseshoe.
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:50 pm

stevesey wrote:Hmm - that's what I've been getting fitter for as well. More of a dream at present - need to work out a proper plan. Have a couple of friends who were trying to get a weekend in last year (nearly went with them - but after a practice in Wales I dropped out - they are fitter and good climbers and I'm novice - didn't want to hold them back). They never got the weather break last year and things aren't doing much better this year. They are looking for a window where they can travel on Friday, do it Sat/Sun and come back on Monday - I'm getting doubtful about those sort of plans - think you need to go for a week when the weather looks promising and then work around the weather you get.

Off to Wasdale on Wed - for a Mosedale horseshoe (having a look at Pillar Rock) and a couple of wild camps (9kg pack to get up 550m in <2hrs will be a good fitness benchmark), then a 15 Wainwright Kentmere horseshoe.

I've been incredibly lucky with the ridge on the 2 previous occasions I've done it - essentially I didn't fix the date, but just waited for a high pressure area over the North West Highlands, and then raced off up there! And that's my plan this time also.

As regards the Mosedale and Kentmere horseshoes, I look forward to reading your reports - and especially seeing a picture of the 9kg pack that will accommodate gear for a wild camp :shock: You must be doing it in running gear and a bivvy!!! I plan to be up Ben Starav and adjacent hills on Thursday...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby alexpdjdj » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:08 am

Great report mate, fantastic pics and what a route. Might have to try that myself sometime if I can persuade my mates to have it!
alexpdjdj
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:86
Wainwrights:156   

Postby stevesey » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:00 pm

Alteknacker wrote:As regards the Mosedale and Kentmere horseshoes, I look forward to reading your reports - and especially seeing a picture of the 9kg pack that will accommodate gear for a wild camp :shock: You must be doing it in running gear and a bivvy!!! I plan to be up Ben Starav and adjacent hills on Thursday...

Added a rucksack update here: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=53026&p=285314#p285314

Didn't get to Kentmere - suspected I had a cold brewing before I left home. After covering about 35 miles and nearly 5000m in 4 walks in a shade under 48 hours - it was coming on strong so I took it easy just filling in a couple of stray Wainwrights on Sat and then came home. Next time :-)
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:51 pm

stevesey wrote:
Added a rucksack update here: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=53026&p=285314#p285314

Didn't get to Kentmere - suspected I had a cold brewing before I left home. After covering about 35 miles and nearly 5000m in 4 walks in a shade under 48 hours - it was coming on strong so I took it easy just filling in a couple of stray Wainwrights on Sat and then came home. Next time :-)

I've just realised that I didn't thank you for your rucksack contents expose: very interesting and useful (copied, image and all, in my "challenging future possibilities" folder!). I really appreciate it. What it shows me is that, if you're focussed and careful, you can build an overnight pack that's no heavier than a day scrambling pack!

Thanks again, and apologies for my very late acknowledgement.

See you in the hills one day :thumbup:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland