walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Chuirn

Beinn Chuirn

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:23 pm

Route description: Beinn Chuirn, Dalrigh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Chuirn

Date walked: 05/06/2015

Time taken: 4.25 hours

Distance: 16.31 km

Ascent: 980m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was to have been Val's Compleation weekend, we were based at Kinlochleven Bunkhouse and the three of us had decided to meet up at Tyndrum to pick up this Corbett and maybe adding the nearby Graham on the Friday if the weather was fine. Saturday the proposed Compleation date had been moved to the Sunday because of the horrendous weather forecast. After tucking into a Green Wellie bacon roll and coffee we headed off to Dalrigh just South of Tyndrum, the start of the walk. There is quite a wide access road to the North of the dwellings sufficient for parking.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
It looks like the bad weather has come early, another soaking on the way
2.JPG
Lodge house and the Corbett in the gloom with other buildings at Cononish. We met at least three estate vehicles on our way, I think the activity had been caused by the very recent apparent attempt to steal from the gold mine. We were not carrying anything remotely like bolt cutters, but it did seem that the owners were on red alert
3.JPG
Further up the track about to start the climb up the South East shoulder keeping well clear of the cliffs on our right, looking back down towards Cononish
4.JPG
The camera was not out much during the ascent because of the dire weather, this is one of the summit streams running full bore, which in normal conditions would be a step over
5.JPG
At the summit cairn, no views so decision made, No Graham, just head back down
6.JPG
Heading off bypassing the South top on the East side
7.JPG
Giving the saturated area and missing the burn crossing a wide berth this time
8.JPG
Picking the driest way down
9.JPG
Signs of the sun trying to break through, and getting warm with all these layers on, Ben Lui in the background
10.JPG
Rain now stopped and heading down the glen
11.JPG
Found a feint ATV track so just headed down to the track off the wet grass
12.JPG
Meall Odhar the Graham which will have to wait for another day
13.JPG
Our Corbett looking a lot more compelling now
14.JPG
Ben Lui in the distance with the track we followed
15.JPG
Lodgehouse on way to the mine shafts between the Corbett and Graham
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Beinn Chuirn

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:58 pm

Im surprised you werent stopped and searched for knicking the gold as you do look a bit dodgy :lol:

When i climbed that one i was wishing i had taken a bike on it. its an ok track to cycle on if i remember rightly
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Re: Beinn Chuirn

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:21 pm

mountain thyme wrote:Im surprised you werent stopped and searched for knicking the gold as you do look a bit dodgy :lol:

When i climbed that one i was wishing i had taken a bike on it. its an ok track to cycle on if i remember rightly

:lol: :lol: Yep the track very bikeable, might just take it when I return for the Graham :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland