walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Summer on Macdui on a special day

Summer on Macdui on a special day

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:22 am

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Càrn a' Mhàim

Date walked: 09/06/2015

Time taken: 7.15 hours

Distance: 29.6 km

Ascent: 1600m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Yet another period of checking the forecast daily and chomping at the bit to get out into the hills :( I had already planned to make Ben macdui my 200th Munro so now it was just a matter of being patient :(
Finally a decent forecast, high pressure and summer was finally arriving :clap: :clap:
Set off from Fife just after 6.30 and being so early the roads were nice & quiet, anyone who has driven from Blairgowrie to Braemar will know what I mean :wink:
Was surprised how busy the car park at Linn of Dee was, but as the car park is quite large finding a space wasn't a problem. Got the bike out of the car and set off at 8.15, even managed to cycle the uphill section just out of the car park :lol: The track/path that takes you towards the main track was rather muddy and damp, I could see quite a few folk had just ploughed straight through on their bikes, not me :lol:
The cycle to Derry Lodge is now becoming a familiar routine, having said that I still have another 2 visits before the Gorms will be done and dusted 8)
There were a few tents up near Derry Lodge, but carried on over the bridge with my bike. Don't know if anyone else has taken a bike over the 'new' bridge? It is a tight squeeze, don't know if my handlebars are extra wide but I had to lift the front of the bike across the bridge :lol:
Once across the bridge it is then a matter of joining the track about half a mile away, however that half a mile involves crossing a boggy grassy area, grass was damp and not ideal for cycling so pushing the bike was the only option :(
Once the proper track was reached it was back on the bike, I managed to cycle for about another mile or so - with a few dismounts for inclines and crossing water features.
I dumped/abandoned/parked the bike in a nice location, had to be somewhere I could find it, also decided to leave the pump and my gaiters with it. Had my gaiters on but my legs were getting rather warm and rather than carry them I opted to leave them.

ImageThe track

The bike park

Nice walk

As you go further west the path becomes a wee bit narrower

The day was progressing nicely I had covered quite a bit of distance by bike so I was beating Mr Naismith :lol: The next obstacle was going to be Luibeg Burn, I could hear it and it didn't sound like a little trickle :lol:
There is a path that cuts off to the left to cross the Burn by stones, but I didn't fancy that as it looked quite challenging, so I just continued on for a short distance and hey presto Luibeg Bridge appears 8)

Luibeg Bridge

Once across the bridge it was then a matter of following a rough path across boggy ground which then meets up with the main path that "fords" the burn. The path then heads up the shoulder of Carn a' Mhaim, not too steeply and very well maintained with quite a few large boulders which made it just like going up the stairs at home :wink:

The path going up Carn a' Mhaim

The way up, typical Cairngorms path

Local resident posing

As I gained height the views certainly improved and as I had now been out this way a few times, for a change I could actually name some of the hills :lol:

Glen Geusachan north

Glen Geusachan south

The summit of Carn a' Mhaim was reached in pretty good time and the views were superb, especially across to the Devils Point.

Summit selfie, got my nice brightly coloured base layer on :lol:

Zoom across to Mheadhoin

After a quick drink and a bite to eat it was onwards and downwards. I was looking along the ridge towards Macdui and it looked like being quite a bit of a drop :( The ridge itself was easy to descend along and the views on both sides were very impressive, I was paying special attention to the left hand side as Devils Point to Braeriach is an imminent target.

The ridge down

Nice shot of Carn Toul

Interesting snow formation almost sliding down the gully

Devils Point, with Corrour Bothy on the nice green patch

Corrour Bothy zoomed

During the descent down the ridge I was keeping an eye on the amount of height I was losing and it wasn't pleasant, by the time I reached the bealach I had descended 230m eek :roll:
Just before I reached the foot of the ridge I met a chap who was going in the opposite direction, he was staying in Corrour Bothy & was making his way through all 18 hills - good luck :wink: He had done the Braeriach 4 yesterday so we were chatting about the terrain and I was even contemplating (not for very long) tackling them after Macdui.

Looking back to Mhaim

Once across the bealach the real hard work began, there is a path initially up the side of Macdui, but once the boulder field is reached it obviously disappears. The boulders seemed to go on forever and it was just a matter of selecting the larger ones to push uphill from.

Looking back, also shows one or two boulders

After the boulder field was out of the way it was then a matter of turning left (ish) and heading up towards the summit of Macdui. There were a couple of large snow fields to cross, but the snow was soft and it was just a matter of following the foot steps already there :wink:

For anyone who hasn't been up Macdui, the summit plateau is huge and literally littered with shelters. What really surprised me when I reached the summit was the amount of fellow walkers who were wandering around, bearing in mind I had met one guy in almost 5 hours, there must have been about 30 folk taking photo's eating etc :shock: :o
I was hoping and expecting to have the summit to myself, wrong :(

A shelter about 400m from the summit

This highlights how many folk were on top, this is just one direction

Braeriach

Panning left from Braeriach

Further left

Further left

Further left

Aviemore?

The Barns zoomed

After taking plenty of photo's and the usual bite to eat it was time to head down :( I had 2 options for the descent, bear left down into the glen or down the shoulder past Sron Riach, I chose the 2nd option and as it turned out it was a pleasant gentle descent :lol: The initial part is over boulders but after that it was plain sailing.

The way down

Looking across to the ridge of Carn a' Mhaim

The way down to Glen Luibeg

Typical Cairngorms feature

Looking back up the shoulder

The only potential problem was the crossing of Luibeg Burn, in spate it would be a problem but not today. Once on the other side it was then just a matter of following the path which traverses the lower slopes of Carn Crom before joining up with the main path.
It didn't take too long to be re-united with my bike and the cycle back to the car park seemed to be much easier, maybe as there is more downhill and freewheeling is always a huge bonus after 6 hours in the sunshine :lol:
Arrived back at the car at 3.30 and after a drink etc it was time to head home. As I expected the traffic was the complete opposite of the trip north. The highlight was getting stuck behind 2 French campervans travelling in convoy, as I now know the road rather well I was able to nip past them fairly quickly :lol:
Really enjoyed the day and will probably be heading back again next week (weather permitting), but before that I am heading out again tomorrow having arranged a meeting via "Talk Highlands". I won't divulge where we are heading, watch this space :lol: :lol:

Edit carried out - thanks to Cairngormwanderer for his far superior knowledge :wink:
Last edited by Fife Flyer on Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Summer on Macdui on a special day

Postby Borderhugh » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:32 am

Nice wee report M. Looks like the weather gods have rocked up at last. I was up that way the other week and bagged 4 from the north inc. Macdui. Carn a Maim plus the Briariach 4 on are on my to do list. It looks like I will cycle in the way you went and stay the night at Corrour if I am lucky.
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:100   Islands:23

Postby tommyatr » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:03 pm

Well done on reaching the double ton martin.

Cracking walk report and pics as always. :clap:
tommyatr
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:24
Fionas:25   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:08 pm

Congrats on reaching your 200 landmark.

Nice report, some amazing views there. The zoomed ones are quite impressive.

My memory of Cairn a Mhaim is of how small this large 3400' peak felt when surrounded by 4000 footers, but what a nice "little" hill it was with its fairly distinct, non-Cairngorm-style ridge.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby simon-b » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:29 pm

Congratulations on the 200, Martin :clap: . I'm at work now so no time to read the whole report yet, but will have a look when I get home.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:45 pm

Congratulations on #200 - and a great way to do it :clap: :clap:
Have never been up this route having approached the Cairngorms from the north and west but does look good especially on a bike - maybe some time - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:11 pm

Congratulations on 200! :clap: :clap: :clap: And a lovely day to celebrate. So far, we had very little summer to enjoy, hopefully it's changing for better now!
Interesting route for McDhui. I did it twice, but both times from Coire Cas (shorter drive from Inverness side) :D Always fancied that ridge between McDhui and Carn a'Mhaim though, maybe one day...
We have 6 Munros in the Cairngorms left to do, Ben Avon from Tomintoul and the remaining five can be done from Glen Feshie, that saves us the drive around to Braemar.

Loved the photo of Devil's Point with the bothy building on the green patch :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:266   Corbetts:179
Fionas:134   
Sub 2000:74   

Postby skuk007 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:29 pm

Nice report and photos, bringing back the memories of when I did these - seems too long ago now.
Did pretty much the same route up the first two and then added Derry Cairngorm on for good measure!

I took the bike all the way to the Luibeg Burn crossing before stashing it and hiding my spanners/repair kit in the heather. Unlike yourself I jumped on the bike and left my other stuff hidden - it's probably still there, like a little time capsule, so one day when the need comes for a housing estate to be built here it might be discovered :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:08 pm

Congratulations on the 200, a wonderful mountain to achieve it on :clap: :clap: :clap: The first time I went up Macdui, in my long past youth we went up from Derry Lodge and like you was amazed at the number of people at the top when we'd seen no one on the way up, it was only when one of them congratulated us on combing up "the hard way" that I realised there was a gentle stroll to be had from cairngorm :shock:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby simon-b » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:46 pm

Back home now! A nice walk for your 200th. Ben Mac was a special one for me too; my first. Good luck with the Braeriach range.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby ancancha » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:29 pm

Congratulations on the 200 :clap: :clap:
Always a sore one to have to desend a long way after all the effort of getting up that high :(
Still nice to have the bike to take the sting out of the tail at the end.
Know what you mean about MacDhui summit, surprised no-ones opened up a snack bar yet :lol:
Nice photos :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:43 pm

Well done Martin, 200 is quite a feat :clap: :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:54 pm

That was great. The boulders up macdhui sound like hard work. But what a gorgeous day.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:10 pm

Well done on number 200 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

S'math a rinn thu
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby AJNicholls » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:39 pm

Great stuff FF and big congratulations from me too.

Glad you got a good day for it as I've only seen a view from Macdui via other people's pictures. I guess if and when I attempt Carn a'Mhaim I'll do it on its own, but I look forward to returning to the Derry Lodge path, that was quite a pleasant stroll.

Look forward to your next big milestone when you hit 300. Erm...wait a minute!! :)
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland