walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Three Tyndrum Corbetts, plus part WHW

Three Tyndrum Corbetts, plus part WHW

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:15 pm

Route description: Beinn Odhar, Beinn Chaorach and Cam Chreag

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Chaorach, Beinn Odhar, Cam Chreag (Auch)

Date walked: 08/06/2015

Time taken: 5.6 hours

Distance: 17.8 km

Ascent: 1511m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Something that has been on my wish list for some time is to finish off these three Corbetts North of Tyndrum, with the weather forecasted to improve and already in the area gave me the opportunity to extend my Corbett count. Suited and booted already to go at 0815hrs, leaving the car just opposite the bridge over the railway at grid ref331318

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
Car parked and then crossed the road over the bridge over the railway crossed the WHW route and headed directly up the Southern slopes of Beinn Odhar in what could only be described as unrelenting
2.JPG
Looking back over Tyndrum towards Ben Lui Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig
3.JPG
Between 500m and 600m underfoot becomes more rocky, I passed it on the right
4.JPG
Looking back again higher up. Soon you come across what remains of a fence line and then a flatter section where there is a lochan
5.JPG
Lochan with VCorbetts Beinn Udlaidh and Beinn Bhreac-liath in the distance
6.JPG
Loch Lyon
7.JPG
View from the summit 1hour 5mins
8.JPG
Headed South and then SE following remains of an electric fence, past another lochan
9.JPG
That looks a very long way down, it took me 40mins to get to the Allt Cumhang at the base of the two corbetts
10.JPG
The remains of the fence up the West slopes of Beinn Chaorach are followed nearly to the summit, when suddenly the Trig point comes into view
11.JPG
Summit view looking North, North West to Beinn a Chaisteil and Beinn Odhar, time 2hours 30mins
12.JPG
Follow fence posts again down to the bealach where there is remains of a battery turbine which was used to power the electric fence, the posts also take you up to near the summit of the third Corbett Cam Chreag
13.JPG
Beinn Dorain and Beinn a Chaisteil from summit, summit time 3hours 40mins
14.JPG
Looking back to what has already been done, Beinn Odhar and Beinn Chaorach
15.JPG
Heading down to Glen Coralan to the South of Beinn a Chaisteil, time 4hrs 10mins
16.JPG
The track along the West flank of Beinn a Chaisteil shown on OS maps, this is followed to below the viaduct crossing the outlet of Allt Coralan which was pretty high due to all the recent rainfall, the concrete crossing made it possible to keep the feet dry
17.JPG
Turn South at this point to join the WHW route back along the West flank of Beinn Odhar
18.JPG
Beinn Dorain
19.JPG
The prominant Beinn Dorain
20.JPG
Cross under the railway by this tunnel marked WHW
21.JPG
Nearly back at the starting point 5hrs 40mins
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Three Tyndrum Corbetts, plus part WHW

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:37 pm

Another nice walk in the wonderful area :clap: :clap:
A lot of Hills counted in last a few days :clap: 8)
Great effort Rod, I see You love it :clap: 8) You are keeping yourself busy... :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:03 pm

I remember thinking Beinn Odhar was a bloody steep one and never ending too :(

If you were as fit as Johnny Corbett and I you would have climbed the 5 at the same time :lol: :lol:

Nice pics Rod easp the one of Ben Lui :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:37 pm

mountain thyme wrote:I remember thinking Beinn Odhar was a bloody steep one and never ending too :(

If you were as fit as Johnny Corbett and I you would have climbed the 5 at the same time :lol: :lol:

Nice pics Rod easp the one of Ben Lui :D

Hi Theresa, stirring again :lol: :lol: , I noted that JC and you took TEN HOURS, checkout my times, I was off the hill by 1355hrs, started at 0815hrs, are you not impressed? Beinn Odhar was one long climb, and the drop between BO and the second Corbett was something else :( :( Thank God the drop and the ascent to the third was nae bad.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:27 pm

Another good one Rod :clap: :clap:
You must have run round :lol: I remember when we did Odhar it was a never ending uphill trudge :wink:
At this rate you will have the Corbetts cracked :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:42 pm

Manny Gorman RAN past us on these hills in 2009 when he was doing his continuous non motorised round of the Corbetts in 70 days. Very dispiriting to see him and friend vanishing in the distance. He took aprox 8 hours less than us for the five.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:50 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Another good one Rod :clap: :clap:
You must have run round :lol: I remember when we did Odhar it was a never ending uphill trudge :wink:
At this rate you will have the Corbetts cracked :wink:

Martin there are things you just gotta do, a challenge has been set by you know who :wink: , so I have to give it my best shot :lol: . Feet still hot from this romp around and I was hoping to do the Dirty 30 this Saturday. Odhar was a bugger until the wee lochan where you got a breather, but when I saw the descent into the glen :roll: :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:54 pm

Sgurr wrote:Manny Gorman RAN past us on these hills in 2009 when he was doing his continuous non motorised round of the Corbetts in 70 days. Very dispiriting to see him and friend vanishing in the distance. He took aprox 8 hours less than us for the five.

Know what you Sgurr, I was overtaken at speed by a couple of fell runners when I did the round at Lawers a couple of years back. But hey if you were young and fit they would make a fantastic run with all that soft spongy grass on top, aye those were the days :wink: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby martin.h » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:24 am

We're going to have to start looking at doing some Corbetts Rod, reports like this show what we are missing.
We've been busy since we met you last Sunday, reports as soon as I can get this wi-fi to behave itself and let me download photos at normal speed instead of taking an eon to download each one.
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:40 am

martin.h wrote:We're going to have to start looking at doing some Corbetts Rod, reports like this show what we are missing.
We've been busy since we met you last Sunday, reports as soon as I can get this wi-fi to behave itself and let me download photos at normal speed instead of taking an eon to download each one.
Cheers.

Marrtin, like you when I started I did very little else than Munros, but if anything I am enjoying the Corbetts even more, but like this report the drops between can be a bit of a challenge. On the shorter Winter days there are 7 just up the road across the Border, none which I have done, go for it :D . Look forward to reading many muro reports in the meantime :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland