walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Shee 6 (minus 1)

Glen Shee 6 (minus 1)

Postby mamoset » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:51 pm

Route description: Glas Maol Munros circuit, Cairnwell Pass

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Glas Maol, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 04/06/2015

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1090m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

If trip reports with witty prose & brilliant photo's of magnificent Scottish mountains is your thing, exit this report now. There is none of that here!!!! :shock: The day started ok, nice easy drive to Cairnwell and off walking by 07:45. Cloud seemed high enough and it was quite warm. Oh, how you can be fooled :lol:
IMG_6931.JPG
Vast Cairnwell parking area.
IMG_6933.JPG
Carn an Tuirc in the background.
IMG_6935.JPG
Looking back to Cairnwell.
IMG_6936.JPG
Route up to Carn an Tuirc.
IMG_6939.JPG
Nice bridge!!
IMG_6940.JPG
Looking back at The Cairnwell & Carn Aosda.
IMG_6943.JPG
From further up, cloud looking heavy above The Cairnwell.
IMG_6945.JPG
Garbh Coire below Cairn of Claise.
IMG_6952.JPG
Carn an Tuirc.
IMG_6953.JPG
Across to Lochnagar Munro's.
IMG_6958.JPG
Tolmount & Tom Buidhe.
IMG_6959.JPG
Tolmount.
IMG_6962.JPG
Down Glen Callater from Tolmount.
It was just after leaving Tolmount summit that the cloud descended, and stayed that way for the rest of the walk. Being on featureless ground didn't help, though we did manage to find paths now and again!!
IMG_6963.JPG
Tom Buidhe.
IMG_6964.JPG
Cairn of Claise.
Tom Buidhe & Cairn of Claise were located with not too much trouble, but Glas Maol proved to be a bit more elusive. We to'd and fro'd, following the GPS directions (and ignoring them at times :roll: ) until after an age we finally happened on the body of Glas Maol. We quickly ascended that, then headed off, hoping to make for Creag Leacach.
IMG_6965.JPG
Glas Maol.
But, luck wasn't with us, as through the cloud, we spotted some ski tows and set off for them, only to discover they weren't the ones to lead down to Meall Odhar. Getting well hacked off, we decided to call it a day and made for Meall Odhar, and followed the ski tow path back to the car.
IMG_6968.JPG
Route off Meall Odhar.
I'm sure these hills have much to offer, but i didn't see much of what it was :? :shock: :lol:
Last edited by mamoset on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Glen Shee 6 (minus 1)

Postby Wanderlust7 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:34 pm

That was unlucky for you as the last one is the only decent top with a nice ridge and looks good from afar, I am with you on the Cairngorms, they are generally (but not all ) quite dull, although when I done the 6 on 6th April I had a belter of a day and also managed to catch a lift to the start point, it's always nice to finish with your car waiting for you.

Beinn a'Ghlo 3 is worth a visit if you have not already been there, save the long walk back.
Wanderlust7
Stravaiging

Munros:229   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Postby mamoset » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:32 pm

Wanderlust7 wrote:That was unlucky for you as the last one is the only decent top with a nice ridge and looks good from afar, I am with you on the Cairngorms, they are generally (but not all ) quite dull, although when I done the 6 on 6th April I had a belter of a day and also managed to catch a lift to the start point, it's always nice to finish with your car waiting for you.

Beinn a'Ghlo 3 is worth a visit if you have not already been there, save the long walk back.

Hi Wander, yes it was a shame about Leacach, but just couldn't be bothered in the end haha :lol: . As for Beinn a'Ghlo, i did those 3 in August last year, where it started off not too good, but improved through the day. Long walk back to the car as well :shock:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:44 pm

As Wanderlust says Creag Leacach is by some distance the best of these hills.

Think yourself lucky, I've had to repeat Tolmount and Tom Buidhe. :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby mamoset » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:38 am

jupe1407 wrote:As Wanderlust says Creag Leacach is by some distance the best of these hills.

That is unlucky jupe, don't think i'll visit with those two again!!! :shock: :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby jupe1407 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:37 pm

mamoset wrote:
jupe1407 wrote:As Wanderlust says Creag Leacach is by some distance the best of these hills.

That is unlucky jupe, don't think i'll visit with those two again!!! :shock: :lol:

Tolmount's a decent hill when you wander across to look down Loch Callater. Tom Buidhe is atrocious, absolutely nothing going for it, other than a blue balloon :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland