walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Biod an Fhithich

Biod an Fhithich

Postby Riverman » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:09 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Biod an Fhithich

Date walked: 31/05/2015

Time taken: 2.43 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 642m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having been out of action for much of the spring after overdoing things a bit over the winter I wasn't sure how much I'd be able to do over this week in Kintail. Getting out on to some Welsh Hewitts the weekend before gave me some encouragement and I decided to kick things off in Kintail with this great little Graham.

It was a perfect hill on which to recover my confidence after injury problems. Good path all the way up and a prominent mountain. Scarcely higher than the Hewitts I bagged in Wales the weekend before but so much more of a "mountain" feel to it. As others have written, I think this would be a great intro mountain for a new hill walker. Also a great mountain to do if you're in Kintail and conditions preclude going much higher.

Ascent path

On reaching the bealach the view over to the Saddle and Forcan ridge is impressive. As I glimpsed it I actually let out a wee whoop of joy. It felt good to be back among the big hills. That said, the black rock and surprising amount of snow up there did not look terribly inviting and I was glad only to be heading up to the Graham.

Saddle and Forcan ridge

Towards Shiel Bridge

The return was straightforward though I stumbled across a sad scene. What is it with dead deer this year? I seem to keep running into them!

This guy didn't make it

A quick outing was perfect to start the week. I was still quite tired after the 9 hour drive the day before. Returning with Dad back to the cottage by Loch Alsh I was just so relieved not to be hobbled with that awful IT band pain that had struck earlier in the year.

Biod an Fhithich

The weather forecast for the rest of the week ahead was pretty mixed though this didn't bother me too much. I knew I wasn't fit enough yet for any of the really big Kintail routes (they will wait). But there was still plenty to get stuck into over the next few days....

Kintail clouds
Attachments

fithich.GPX Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Riverman
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:4   Islands:4

Re: Biod an Fhithich

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:21 pm

Nice one Sean, won't be long before you are climbing the 'big boys' again :wink:
Have to confess when I saw the title I did think, where or what is that :oops: Not done many Grahams :(
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Riverman » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:44 pm

Cheers Martin. Was a good little hill. Won't be long before you compleat. Which munro are you saving?
Riverman
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:4   Islands:4

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:13 pm

Riverman wrote:Cheers Martin. Was a good little hill. Won't be long before you compleat. Which munro are you saving?

Hopefully compleat summer (ish) next year, Ben More (Mull) :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby AJNicholls » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:37 am

Well done fella. Keep on trekking. :clap:
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland