walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Ghluasaid

Carn Ghluasaid

Postby Riverman » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:50 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Ghluasaid

Date walked: 01/06/2015

Time taken: 3.19 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 906m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first munro since injury problems struck in March. I think Carn Ghluasaid is often climbed with Sgurr nan Conbhairean and Sail Chaorainn but I decided to do it on its own, not wanting to push myself too hard after my injury. I will leave Sail Chaorainn and Sgurr nan Conbhairean until a later date and probably now climb them from the north (looks like they could be linked with A Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire in a big horseshoe over a weekend combining a wild camp with a stay at Alltbeithe) .

The only way is up

Looking back over the 'delightful' path

I think the WH route describes the land rover track up to Carn Ghluasaid as a "delight". I wouldn't go so far as to call it that. After the recent heavy rain it was quite a bog trot really. Straightforward though and no navigation difficulties. The summit of Ghluasaid is broad and flat and from the first cairn I couldn't see the true summit in the snowy clag so I walked north on a bearing until it suddenly appeared. The summit is right next to cliffs that fall away steeply into the corrie. Care is needed on this summit in poor visibility and in winter conditions.

Welcome to summertime - peering into the corrie from the summit

Being pelted with wind and fresh snow crossing the summit I couldn't believe that this was the first day of 'summer' in the calendar. Felt more like December! Returning to the car park at Lundie it was good to finally have another munro under my belt after two "munroless" months. Best of all was the descent being pain free. Such a relief after March's disappointment.

Descent - Loch Cluanie ahead

Most folk will still probably choose to climb this with the other 2 munros to the north but for anyone looking to pick off an easy-ish munro in a half day in Kintail, Carn Ghluasaid is a good bet.

Carn Ghluasaid
Attachments

ghlusaid.GPX Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Riverman
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:4   Islands:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland