walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Second time around with a great day on Beinn a' Ghlo

Second time around with a great day on Beinn a' Ghlo

Postby Jockstar » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:32 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 11/06/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1239m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was a great to be heading back to a past walk where we didn’t have a good day on our walk in Perthshire on the 12th June 2013 to walk Beinn a’ Ghlo which ended in a nightmare when I made an error in navigation which you can read what happened. So myself and Mark McGonagle joined up at the car park at Monzie to put this walk once and for all to bed. Knowing that I was in good company gave me a good feeling that this time it was going to be a good one. The conditions were perfect with bright sunshine and hardly a cloud in the sky. The sun lotion was out and Mark, myself and Ruby my border terrier set off along the road towards the clearly marked path up to the first of the munros
We set off across a marshy piece of ground but leaving that behind we soon got into a steady climb and got on with the walk upwards and as expected it soon showed how high we had climbed as the small hut at in the corner of the field quickly became a small dot. It was warm and I had to stop at times to draw breath and take on water as we slowly made our way towards the first Munro. And so we soon overcome a number of small false tops before eventually reaching our first Munro which was Carn Liath. From there you could easily see the way forward as the clearly marked path on the left was the way to Munro number two. So off we went down the path and then we had a pull up towards the next Munro Braigh Coire Chruinn - bhalgain. Without too much effort we reached the point where the last time we did the walk the weather turned and ended up with bad visibility with rain and gales which led me to making the mistake on navigation. This time it was perfect weather and the route was clearly seen as it made its way up to the third Munro. Only difficulty this time was a broad band of snow to get over. We just took the decision to jumped through the snow and walked towards the clear path up to the third Munro. There are two large cairns, the furthest one being Carn nan Gabhar, which is the third Munro. We then had a decision of how to get back to Monzie and we chose to go down Airgiod Bheinn as we found a path which was pretty rocky but with safety in mind we slowly went down off the hill until we reached a point where we could cross a small stream (which was heaven as we could fill up our water bottles and get rehydrated) and joined up with a path that was very clear and we walked the rest of the way until we met the road towards the car park. A fabulous walk and I have now put to bed that first attempt at Beinn a’ Ghlo.
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Second time around with a great day on Beinn a' Ghlo

Postby Jock McJock » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:12 pm

Nice one Brian! That really was a great day we had. Sunshine and clear skies all day :) 3 lovely hills, no bog to be seen (contrary to what a lot of folk get walking out of there!) and good company. Cheers mate :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Second time around with a great day on Beinn a' Ghlo

Postby lairdoharray » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:22 pm

Pleased that you had a great day. Honest man, too, in going back to do it 'properly'! I climbed the 3 in 1991 on the day that Motherwell won the cup. weather in Perthshire did as they forecast and it was only the skill of my late friend Colin that got us round. My instinct said one thing, his compass and map said another, and I wisely kept my mouth shut. A big lesson indeed. Maybe someday, I'll be back to do it properly. i saw it from Ben Vrackie and it is a beauty.
lairdoharray
Mountain Walker

Munros:105   Corbetts:14
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:14   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland