walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A'Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire

A'Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire

Postby bigbertie » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:23 am

Route description: A' Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire

Munros included on this walk: A' Chralaig, Mullach Fraoch-choire

Date walked: 27/02/2008

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Climbed on Tuesday 19 Feb 2008, a stunningly clear sunny day. I left the layby near the Cluanie Inn at 8.00 am and switched my brain off for the unrelenting climb up to the south ridge of A'Chralaig. I had brought crampons & axe so was a bit disappointed to find very little snow. The top of A'Chralaig yielded fantastic views in all directions - I got so engrossed in photography that I dropped a glove and just managed to grab it before the wind whipped it over the snowy east face.

The ridge to Mullach F-C is more scenic than I had imagined, and I did have to use the crampons briefly on leaving the summit of A'Chralaig where a very hard snowfield straddled the ridge and dropped steeply on both sides. I took a risk and left my sack at the col before the ridge up to Mullach F-C as it appeared to be snowless. However the pinnacles turned out to have patches of hard snow which obscured some of the path, so I was obliged to do some scrambling - including a few moves more exciting than I had expected from reading route descriptions. But with good holds and dry rock it was very enjoyable.
2008_02_19_013_small.jpg
View from Mullach F-C back to A'Chralaig

More photography on top of the Mullach, then back to the sack and a quick descent down Coire Odhar and back to the road at 3.00 pm. As always after a good day I was already thinking of alternative routes for another visit.
bigbertie

Re: A'Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire

Postby canisp » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:10 pm

Good photo, if only the weather could be like that every day. I remember struggling over them pinnacles, as a novice 20 odd years ago. I smiled :) when you said you took a risk and left your rucksack, see the forum “Discuss walking and scrambling” (Bad hill days)
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby bigbertie » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:51 pm

hi canisp, yes I've just had a look at Bad Hill Days - I have a few I may add there! when I said I took a risk I was thinking of the risk of needing my crampons on the pinnacles, rather than the risk of losing the sack (I hadn't even thought of the wind blowing it off). I seem to remember a story years ago of someone who left his sack below a Munro and couldn't locate it again - as a result I take a GPS reading if I leave a sack in winter with heavy snow & wind.
bigbertie

Postby rocket-ron » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:53 pm

could you tell me if this vwalk is dog friendly
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland