walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Sgritheall

Beinn Sgritheall

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:06 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgritheall

Date walked: 14/06/2015

Time taken: 3 hours

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first attempt at Beinn Sgritheall had been in the winter months, a gorgeous day that belied the weather higher up and more importantly the snow conditions underfoot, on the steep approach up its south ridge. Windslab forced a retreat. I also remembered the steep ascent not just the south ridge but the approach ascent too and it was pretty much straight up so the return would be by the northern approach, the route of descent on the WH route.
Now I’m no fair weather walker :lol: , as yesterday’s outing to Seana Bhraigh shows but I would suggest saving this one for a fair day. I knew the views would be good, its position right on the coast for starters, but before you even arrive at the start the journey via Cluanie and Glenelg over the Ratagan pass is a delight with sufficient views and photo opportunities you may not make it to the walk :lol:
View from Ratagan towards Beinn Fhada and A Glas bheinn.

WH1.jpg

The start point has no parking as such although there is a small pull in with enough room for a single car and a cairn marks the start of the path that leads directly up above, one look up will confirm it’ll be a steep one.
Steep in short measure is fine by me, it gains height quickly, the wonderful views open up, but I couldn’t help feeling a tumble here would land me on the roof of my car :(
The view to Knoydart.

WH2.jpg

You need make no excuses to stop on ascent the views are simply stunning, and even the ascent through the birch woods is delightful, and very soon over, although the ascent continues.

WH3.jpg

Out of the woods and the first glimpse of the summit, and yes it is steep. But with just under 45 minutes elapsed I was at the crest.
Views now opened up.
Knoydart and Barrisdale Bay zoomed. Checking out an approach by canoe for these hills.

WH4.jpg

North towards Skye

WH5.jpg

The ascent continues, well of course it does :crazy: , with a couple of level sections to ease it slightly, but before you know the final assault looms large above.

WH6.jpg

The view back to the small lochan where you first pop out

WH7.jpg

As you climb up the final slopes the steepness of this mountain reveals itself, plunging to the turquoise edged sea, inviting as it looked I had left the swimwear at home 8) .

WH8.jpg

The path is good all the way up, with a couple of small boulder fields and you arrive at the summit, and what a vista in all directions.
The Torridon peaks to the left Alligins multiple tops through the peaks of Kintail closer to hand.

WH9.jpg

South with Ben Nevis centre, and too many mountains to name even if I could.

WH10.jpg

The full route from road to lochan and up with Eigg and Skye.

WH11.jpg

Skye ridge zoomed, with Alisdair, the Inn Pinn right across to Gillean all clear today.

WH12.jpg

Knoydart with Ladhar Bheinn directly across, its two neighbours left and Sgurr na Ciche pointing to the sky across Barrisdale Bay.

WH13.jpg

The tiny village of Arnisdale below with the alternative ascent route.

WH14.jpg

The view down showing the steep flanks dropping straight to the sea. Cripes !!

WH15.jpg

So all smiles today, it had taken 2 hours to reach the summit :D :D

WH16.jpg

Despite the sun it had been fresh on top, jacket and gloves were needed, but descent underway things warmed up rapid and after the left turn at the cairn down into the woods which opened up more vistas not seen on ascent (head down I guess).

WH17.jpg

In an hour and 15 back at the sea.

WH18.jpg

And one last look back at Beinn Sgritheall.

WH19.jpg

So this is one for a fair day, yes you could scoot up and down, it only took me 3 hours 15 to ascend and descend, but I was there much longer and had Sgritheall all to myself with the wonderful drive out ahead. How many days wasted putting things off, delaying doing something or another for one reason or another...this most certainly was not one of those, I wondered why I hadn't been here sooner (but you had in winter :wink: ). Total bliss.
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Re: Beinn Sgritheall

Postby malky_c » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:18 pm

I was going to suggest you'd missed a trick by doing Seana Braigh on Saturday instead of Sunday, but you seem to have made up for it here :) . Great part of the world.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:40 pm

Beautiful mountain and some great photos :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:02 pm

Superb photos and a grand hill ,only got partial views on this so a return one day .
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby inca » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:11 pm

Nice read and cracking pics :clap:
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:19 pm

Fantastic Dave :clap: :clap:

What amazing photos, thanks so much for sharing X
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:40 am

Great report. Totally agree this is one you HAVE to do when there's a view.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:55 pm

malky_c wrote:I was going to suggest you'd missed a trick by doing Seana Braigh on Saturday instead of Sunday, but you seem to have made up for it here :) . Great part of the world.

It did improve on Saturday, just as was cruising back along the A96, skies brightened to the west. Timing is all :D

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Beautiful mountain and some great photos :clap:

Collaciotach wrote:Superb photos and a grand hill ,only got partial views on this so a return one day .
inca wrote:Nice read and cracking pics :clap:

pollyh33 wrote:Fantastic Dave :clap: :clap:What amazing photos, thanks so much for sharing X

Many thanks all, nothing to do with me, its just the scenery, speaks for itself :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland