walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Return to the Sgurr nan Clach Gaela Ridge

Return to the Sgurr nan Clach Gaela Ridge

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:11 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Clach Geala, Sgùrr nan Each

Date walked: 30/05/2015

Time taken: 8.4 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1525m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Dad and I were forced off this route in November 2014 after the first Munro Meall a'Chrasgaidh due to high winds. We then went and did the Western two Munros and were left with these two and the Eastern four to do in the Fannichs. To combine these six remaining Munros would be a hard slog for dad without a wild camp so we reluctantly decided on the route below, which meant we were repeating parts of routes already done, neither of us like this but so be it.
I had been looking forward to SNCG as it was the monster of the ridge but not as big as Sgurr Mor.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked up reasonably late in the layby off the A832 and set off. The weather started claggy around the summits but the reason for the late start was 'Heather with the weather' predicted it to get better the later in the day it got. The plan was to ascend up the col between Meall a'Chrasgaidh and SNCG and head up from there and then over to Sgurr nan Each and then drop back into Cadha na Guite and then into the glen and follow the WH route Northwards and out. We did exactly that.

photo 1.JPG
Looking up the valley we'd be heading up with Sgurr nan clach geala on left

photo 2.JPG
Dogs swimming in outflow from Loch a' Bhraoin

photo 3.JPG
Our first target on left (Sgurr nan clach geala)

photo 4.JPG
A strange place for a wee bridge half way up towards Clach Mhor na Beuchdaich on ascent to bealach between SNCG and Meal a chrasgaidh

photo 5.JPG
Looking over to Sgurr Breac

photo 7.JPG
The bealach were aiming for

photo 8.JPG
Sgurr Breac again

photo 9.JPG
On the ridge up to SNCG

The only real points of note were the fresh snow above 1000m that caused problems as it was well over ankle deep and we also had to be careful of the cornicing on the Eastern and South Eastern faces of SNCG. I won a tenner off dad on the summit as he said he'd like to wait and see if the clag shifted to get views, I firmly believed it would not so we bet a tenner, of course it did not shift after ten minutes, he's still not payed up. :crazy:

photo 10.JPG
Taking photo of dad beside the wrecked trig point

photo 11.JPG
Dogs on summit SNCG

photo 12.JPG
Sgurr nan each trying to break through the clag

photo 13.JPG
Brilliant, we can see our route ahead

photo 14.JPG
And again closer

photo 15.JPG
Over to Sgurr Breac

We descended down out of the clag into the Creag an Fhuarain and then made the easy ascent up to Sgurr nan Each, this little Munro sure was a nice surprise and gave great views into the Deargs, Torridon, Fisherfields and Strahfarrar. Wonderful, dad likened it to the feeling you might get being on the front of the Titanic, the feeling was of exposure but looking back giving great views to the two Fannich Giants of SNCG (Sgurr nan Clach Gaela) & Sgurr Mor.

photo 16.JPG
Summit ridge to Sgurr nan each - a fabulous wee mountain

photo 17.JPG
Dogs win the race to the summit cairn as per usual

photo 18.JPG
Posers on summit Sgurr nan each

We reluctantly headed down to the col and then down the steep grassy slope to the outward Glen, this was to be the second time we'd used this glen as an exit but it was still very pleasant.
I am a bit behind with the TR's so still to come the Arran Corbetts and the Arran Graham :wink:
Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Return to the Sgurr nan Clach Gaela Ridge

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:10 pm

These are brilliant hills. Sgurr na Clach Geala, holds many memories, some suprising, some frustrating and some sad, but enjoyed each and every one.

Heather with the Weather...tell me more :D and make sure you get your money :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:46 pm

Love the dogs, and your Dad, posing :lol: :lol: Like Spiderweb these are special hills for me too, played an important role in getting me hill fit after some stupid accidents that resulted in broken bones. Hope to be back up here shortly on a charity fundraiser. :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby martin.h » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:33 pm

These are really nice mountains Matt, well worth the effort.
We're up in the area in July, hoping to do the four eastern Fannichs, fingers crossed for good weather :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:00 pm

Mix feelings on the Fannich ...... to go with the mixed weather I had on them :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:00 pm

spiderwebb wrote:These are brilliant hills. Sgurr na Clach Geala, holds many memories, some suprising, some frustrating and some sad, but enjoyed each and every one.

Heather with the Weather...tell me more :D and make sure you get your money :lol:

Yeah Dave I can understand some of your emotions on these. Och it's just the old weather bird Heather Reid, she was the best weather woman as all the new ones are always wrong, plus she was nae too shabby :lol:

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Love the dogs, and your Dad, posing :lol: :lol: Like Spiderweb these are special hills for me too, played an important role in getting me hill fit after some stupid accidents that resulted in broken bones. Hope to be back up here shortly on a charity fundraiser. :D

Thanks HnP, all the best for the fundraiser :clap:

martin.h wrote:These are really nice mountains Matt, well worth the effort.
We're up in the area in July, hoping to do the four eastern Fannichs, fingers crossed for good weather :D

Hope the weather is good for you Marts, my July is full with weddings this year, I'm going to struggle for weekends this summer......

Collaciotach wrote:Mix feelings on the Fannich ...... to go with the mixed weather I had on them :wink:

I've had fairly mixed weather too, hope the Eastern ones are the best yet...
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:32 pm

Only one weather girl Sian Lloyd...if she pops round, the hills will have to wait :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:28 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Only one weather girl Sian Lloyd...if she pops round, the hills will have to wait :D

I'll see your Sian Lloyd and raise you Cat Cubie :lol: :lol:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby basscadet » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:44 pm

That looked fun :) Some really good photos of the neck of Sgurr nan each there too.. Most each's are named after places they used to breed, graze or keep horses, but this one is so called because the ridge looks like a horses neck.
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland