walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Arran - Scotland in miniature & a Corbett Heaven

Arran - Scotland in miniature & a Corbett Heaven

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:43 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Tarsuinn, Caisteal Abhail, Cìr Mhòr, Goat Fell

Date walked: 08/06/2015

Time taken: 9.2 hours

Distance: 24.5 km

Ascent: 2174m

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My wife agreed to have a holiday in Scotland this year and I was playing with the idea of Arran. I had negotiated two hill days out of the week we were due to be there, one for the Corbetts and one for the single Graham on the Island. I read Tallstory's great report last year and this got me hooked on the idea of combining the four :clap:
As the holiday grew closer the weather was peaking, then the icing on the cake was when Eric (electricfly) confirmed he and his two Springers, Alfie & Tarsuinn would be joining me.
I picked up Eric and the dogs at the ferry terminal at 9.20am and we set off for Glen Rosa, there is not much parking but I was able to dump the car on the grassy slope next to the road and as it was on the slope I was not taking up any camping spots. The sun was shining and we set off along the glen.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

photo 1.JPG
Looking up Glen Rosa

photo 2.JPG
Cir Mhor with the witches step behind to the right

Our first target was Beinn Nuis as we wanted to try to see the scene of the American Bomber Crash. We crossed the Garbh Allt where it meets Glerosa Water and headed uphill on a nice path, it was however quite boggy but the late appearance of the sun this year is the reason for many bog walks this season.

photo 3.JPG
Beinn Nuis left with A'Chir ridge right

We met the deer fence and I believe Lochy my black and white dog lost his collar around about here as the dogs always try to squeeze through, Eric's Alfie is a master at this, I often found when I got to a difficult part Alfie was the other side of this and waiting for us, hes some dog = he's five years of age and has five Munros to do to compleat. Unless I am wrong I believe he'll be the youngest dog compleater. And he's done around 90 repeats :shock: His son Tarsuinn is only two and he's well over half way. Unreal these dogs :clap:
We started the ascent up Beinn Nuis and the views opened up over to Goatfell and the whole Corbett range, it really was a stunning location. Soon we were up at the small cairn on Beinn Nuis after a few zoomed photos of what's left of the plane wreck, such a shame as all the crew supposedly died in the crash and the wreckage was not found till 4 months after the incident :crazy:

photo 4.JPG
Beinn Tarsuinn

photo 5.JPG
Plane wreckage

photo 1 (2).JPG
Brodick with the holy isle to the right

photo 2 (2).JPG
Beinn Tarsuinn from Beinn Nuis

photo 3 (2).JPG
The old man of Tarsuinn

We started down to Flat Iron Tower then Tarsuinn got his picture with his old man (Alfie) and of course this was next to the old man of Tarsuinn :lol: Next were the two summits of Tarsuinn, we were not sure which was higher as it's a case of when on one the other looks the highest :lol: touched both and took a few photos then set off for Consolation Tor and the bypass below A'Chir.

photo 4 (2).JPG
All four dogs with Roy at the back

photo 5 (2).JPG
Dolphin rock

photo 1 (3).JPG
A'Chir ridge

I would love to go back to do this airy ridge walk without dogs. We found some real fresh clean water dripping off some slabs from the A'Chir ridge so we both took a well earned drink. The path below the slabs was adder country so we had to be cafeful, both us and the dogs.

photo 2 (3).JPG
Eric on by pass below A'Chir ridge

photo 3 (3).JPG
Looking back towards A'Chir ridge, ropes needed for that one

We were soon ascending up towards Caisteal Abhail and at Portcullis Buttress we got great views over to the Witches Step, another scrambling route that would be great to return to.

photo 4 (3).JPG
Caisteal Abhail

photo 5 (3).JPG
Photogenic Cir Mhor

We got to what we thought was the summit but realised it was the other side of a great notch which shot south into the Coire na h-Uaimh, we therefore took the bypass round towards the ridge towards the Withces Step and then cut back on ourselves to get the easier path up onto the Castle summit. Here we were joined by two men whom were staying on a boat in the bay at Brodick for the night. How the other half live, or don't depending on how good your sea legs are :lol:

photo 2 (4).JPG
Back along to A'Chir Ridge and Beinn Tarsuinn beyond

photo 3 (4).JPG
Eric on summit of Caisteal Abhail looking towards Goatfell

photo 4 (4).JPG
Cir Mhor right and Goatfell left

We said our good byes after a few photos and then set off back towards the picturesque Cir Mhor, it really is a wonderful looking mountain from all sides. It was here Eric started showing his fitness as he was not being affected as much as me with the steep ascents. There are flat boulders which aid the ascent up Cir Mhor and we were soon on the summit of the Corbett I was looking forward to the most. A raven was circling waiting on any crumbs we may leave, although this raven was not expecting 4 mad spaniels whom covered every blade of grass on Arran that day, there was no crumbs from sandwiches or the like after they had swept the summits :lol:

photo 5 (4).JPG
Lochy and Alfie with Glen Sannox behind

photo 1 (5).JPG
The saddle leading up to North Goatfell

The descent off Cir Mhor to the Saddle was giving me the most concern leading up to the walk but with Eric's experience he got us down safely and the dogs all did really well on some tough down climbs. Once we'd dropped about 150 meters we came across a red deer stag that was just frozen stiff on a ledge. He just wouldn't move so we got great pictures of him. Luckily none of our dogs are up for chasing a Stag of this size, even with Velvet covered antlers lessening the fearsomeness!! The route dropped below him and he stayed put long after we were gone, I wonder if he'd gone up too high and was not sure on how to get back down and then he got a scare seeing us and had nowhere to go so he was just seeing the situation out till he could get safely back down.

photo 2 (5).JPG
Frozen Deer coming of Cir Mhor

photo 3 (5).JPG
We came down that

Once on the Saddle we became aware of the time, we needed to get Eric back for the last ferry at the latest which was 19.20 so time was wearing on. Eric dropped a gear and blasted on, this was good for me as it made me go faster although not as quick as Eric. Some of the scrambles going up the Saddle were brilliant fun and airy in places. I had my poles out now as they were giving my knees some support, as did Eric, which just made him go faster :lol: :lol:

photo 4 (5).JPG
Ridge along to Goatfell

We overtook a family going up towards North Goatfell and then we zoomed along Stacach ridge towards Goatfell. We summited around 1720 so had around 1 hour 40 to get back to the car and then 10 mins to get to the ferry terminal.

photo 5 (5).JPG
Last summit of the day - Goatfell

Doable but our route down was tiring after all the ascent but we made the glen floor and realised we'd have to start running as we'd taken too long to descend. We pretty much ran most of the way back to the car arriving just before 19.00. I managed to drop Eric at the ferry terminal for 19.06 so he had made the last ferry by four minutes. An absolutely fantastic day in the most fantastic place, although I have not done many Corbetts these four must be up there with the best rounds I've ever done including Munros. Stunning. Thanks Eric and the dogs for a great day and in fact a day i'll remember for the rest of my life. Years ago after they honeymooned there my dads description was simple 'Its Scotland in miniature' then speaking with Eric on the day he came away with 'Its like Scotland in miniature' and I can concur with both - hence the Title :D
Cheers
Last edited by Beaner001 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Arran - Scotland in minature & a Corbett Heaven

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:02 pm

Great reading that and superb pics of the hills, the springers and Eric's back mostly :lol:

It is a wonderful island, been there 3 times now and never tire of it. Glad you got superb weather too :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby malky_c » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:15 pm

That's a lot of dogs on the summit of Cir Mhor :shock: :lol: . Been looking forward to seeing this report since you posted some photos in TH - it doesn't disappoint :D

Quite fancy A' Chir myself sometime. Missed it out because I hadn't done my homework and wasn't too sure how hard it was.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:16 pm

Wonderful stuff, I want to go there now.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby martin.h » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:25 pm

HI Matt, great report and thank you, we're thinking of visiting Arran sometime soon and this has helped to put a visit high on the agenda, they look great mountains and your route looks like you got the best of them in one outing.
Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:47 pm

Great report and wonderful pics :clap: :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:11 pm

I tell the wife where we are going on holiday :wink:

Grand pictures , not been to Arran yet .....soon :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:07 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Great reading that and superb pics of the hills, the springers and Eric's back mostly :lol:

It is a wonderful island, been there 3 times now and never tire of it. Glad you got superb weather too :D

Aye a Dave spent the latter part of the walk looking at Eric's heels :lol:
I really enjoyed Mull and Skye but Arran is just something else, being slightly further South it got better weather :D :wink:

malky_c wrote:That's a lot of dogs on the summit of Cir Mhor :shock: :lol: . Been looking forward to seeing this report since you posted some photos in TH - it doesn't disappoint :D

Quite fancy A' Chir myself sometime. Missed it out because I hadn't done my homework and wasn't too sure how hard it was.

Cheers Malky, I'll return some day for A'Chir too :thumbup:

The Rodmiester wrote:Wonderful stuff, I want to go there now.

Thoroughly recommend it Rod, best circuit I think I've done on the hills, bit of everything :D

martin.h wrote:HI Matt, great report and thank you, we're thinking of visiting Arran sometime soon and this has helped to put a visit high on the agenda, they look great mountains and your route looks like you got the best of them in one outing.
Cheers.

Thanks Marts, it's is a wonderful place :D

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Great report and wonderful pics :clap: :clap:

Cheers :thumbup:

Collaciotach wrote:I tell the wife where we are going on holiday :wink:

Grand pictures , not been to Arran yet .....soon :D

Lol, I bet you do, I do too as far as the outside world are concerned :lol:
Thanks, get there, don't put it off you'll love it :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Re: Arran - Scotland in miniature & a Corbett Heaven

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:11 pm

Enjoyed that Matt, as you say Arran really is a special place, been there umpteen times & it never fails to deliver :clap:
May just try your plan with my other half, sounds good to me :lol: :lol:
Like Malky, have also been waiting for your report after seeing your photo's on FB :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:35 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Enjoyed that Matt, as you say Arran really is a special place, been there umpteen times & it never fails to deliver :clap:
May just try your plan with my other half, sounds good to me :lol: :lol:
Like Malky, have also been waiting for your report after seeing your photo's on FB :wink:

Thanks Martin, my problem is picking the twenty odd photos for the report :shock: need to do flickr I think.....
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby electricfly » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:47 pm

You could start with posting less pics of my arse! :lol:

Was a brill day! Shame we had to rush at the end, though I did manage to get a cheeky wee pint on the ferry home! :wink:

Here's a few more photos featuring your good self that I took. :D

On Beinn Tarsuinn.
On Caisteal Abhail.
Last wee pull up Cir Mhor.
Roy is ready to traverse to Goat Fell.
Mad dash up to Goat Fell.

Cheers Mathew for a great day! :D
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:43 pm

Excellent Matthew. well done to you and electricfly.

Those corbetts are up there with one of my best days on the hills :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:46 pm

Your good choice for a holiday ! :clap:
Looks great there and makes me to plann some trip there in the future... :clap: :D 8) Thanks for sharing :wink:
You got also the right angle for the "Old Man" and the "Dolphin" :clap: 8) :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Sick Kid » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:02 pm

Did pretty much the same route last year and absolutely loved it, and had the same mad dash to the ferry :lol:
Going back for a week in August and planning to do some of it again. Don't have a crazy pack of mutts to take with me though :wink:
Great report and pics!
Sick Kid
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+50
Sub 2000:364   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:13   

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:19 pm

That looked like a great day out. Have to do that round at some point :roll: lol Great pictures too!! :clap: :clap:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland