walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Reaching 100 on the Creag Meagaidh circuit.

Reaching 100 on the Creag Meagaidh circuit.

Postby martin.h » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:37 pm

Route description: Creag Meagaidh circuit

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Glen Spean), Càrn Liath (Creag Meagaidh), Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Àrdair

Date walked: 10/06/2015

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1520m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Today our route included my 100th Munro, up until July 2013 I'd managed to collect 19 Munro's, not a massive tally by any standards considering my first munro was Beinn Dorain in 1974 but I've managed to increase this tally to 103 by the end of this walk so 84 munros in less that two years isn't to be sniffed at I guess. Our next target is to get Denise to 100 and hopefully by the end of this holiday we should need 5 to get her there, I'm lucky to be married to someone who wants to achieve similar goals and hopefully we'll get her there when we have our next trip up to Ullapool in July, fingers crossed.

The Creag Meagaidh Circuit was today's objective and we had the most fantastic weather you could wish for.

Our son Richard ferried us to the car park at the start of the walk because we wanted to have no restrictions as to how to finish this walk as I had a plan if we felt we had some energy left on Creag Meagaidh.

The walk from the car park starts on an excellent path
DSC00634.JPG
View from the car park

About 1.5 km further on as the W.H. description says, look out for a small cairn that indicates the start of a rough path through the trees, we found it no trouble and it does go over some tricky ground but it soon clears the trees and is clear all the way to the summit of Carn Liath.
DSC00635.JPG
As height is gained the views get better, Loch Laggan

DSC00637.JPG
Coire Ardair and the Window.

Carn Liath was the "special" munro for me, number 100, and, although not especially spectacular, it was a nice Munro to start my second century on and I got to have my photo taken, woohoo!.
DSC00639.JPG
Denise Carn Liath summit

DSC00641.JPG
100 up and the weather couldn't be better

DSC00643.JPG
Looking North, many mountains still to do.

From this summit the walk to the next Munro Stob Poite Coire Ardair is along a lovely broad grassy ridge which is very easy going although in clag I reckon it could be hard to navigate.
DSC00644.JPG
So we must continue, our route ahead, Creag Meagaidh and Stob Poite Coire Ardair

The view of the cliffs on Creag Meagaidh became better and more spectacular the closer we got with plenty of snow high-lighting the rock.
DSC00647.JPG
Snow and Cornices on the cliffs around Coire Ardair

DSC00650.JPG
The summit cairn on Stob Poite Coire Ardair, we nearly missed it!

From Stob Poite Coire Ardair there's a descent into the window and then the pull onto Creag Meagaidh itself but this is not a particularly steep pull up just loose and a bit eroded compared to the terrain already covered.
DSC00651.JPG
Creag Meagaidh from STPA you can see the climb up in the middle of the photo.

We stopped at Mad Megs Cairn for a quick photo and then set off for the summit, there was still a lot of snow up here, more than you'd expect when we are nearing midsummer but I think this year is an exception as far as late snow is concerned.
DSC00652.JPG
Denise on her way to Mad Megs Cairn, loadsa snow.

DSC00653.JPG
Mad Denise's cairn oops, Megs Cairn.

DSC00654.JPG
Looking to Creag Meagaidh from Mad Meg, more snow.

DSC00655.JPG
Nearly there, winter in summer.

DSC00657.JPG
Great views all around, towards the Grey Corries and the Ben

DSC00659.JPG
Just about there.

At the summit the plan came into play, we'd taken 4.5 hours to reach Creag Meagaidh's summit so I asked Denise if she fancied adding another munro to the walk and suggested Beinn a'Chaorainn, it looked along way but looking back at the distance we,d walked from Carn Liath it didn't seem to be too far so, all agreed, we set off, well we might as well take advantage of the brilliant weather.
DSC00660.JPG
The summit at last.

The walk over to Beinn a' Chaorean was over similar terrain as to what had been walked already, we headed for Bealach a' Bharnish which is a bit wet then started the steady climb up to the summit,this was steady away and 1.75 Hours after leaving Creag Meagaidh we were at the summit, not bad.
DSC00661.JPG
Approaching the summit of Beinn a'Chaorainn

DSC00662.JPG
Denise on the Summit, Creag Meagaidh behind.

DSC00663.JPG
Big cornices, looking over to the second cairn on the 1049 m top

DSC00664.JPG
1049 m cairn.

DSC00666.JPG
Looking West

DSC00667.JPG
Looking back at the route, its quite a walk and that's not all of it.

We phoned Richard at the summit and told him we'd be at Roughburn in about two hours so please come and get us, great things these mobile phones they help when plans are changed especially when you can let folk know.
After another long descent (much easier than the one off The Ring of Steall) we were down at the roadside exactly two hours after leaving the summit and Richard was there waiting for us with a couple of cans of Lager and a change of foot wear, brilliant.
Another fanatstic day in the Scottish mountains, We've been lucky so far this year, not bad considering the recent weather patterns.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: Reaching 100 on the Creag Meagaidh circuit.

Postby simon-b » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:33 pm

Well done for getting to 100, Martin :clap:. A nice route.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:23 pm

Well done Marts great achievement, next stop get Denise there too :clap: :clap: :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby trederdog 100 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:32 pm

Lots of snow up there, must of had a lot at Creag Meagaidh this year. That's nice circuit for the 100!
trederdog 100
Munro compleatist

Munros:158   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:1

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:36 pm

Congrats on the 100, and what a brilliant day and route :clap: :clap: - I'm pondering an adaptation of that - thanks for the ideas :D :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:45 pm

congratulations on getting to #100 :clap:
great way to do it and such a good day for it - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby martin.h » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:39 pm

Thanks everybody,
I'm hoping it won't take another 41 years to reach the 200 mark because, if it does,at this rate I'll be 127 yrs old by the time I compleat,... hang on a mo,.......... the oldest ever person to compleat.......now there's an idea....... :lol:
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland