walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dearg to Seanna Bhraigh

Beinn Dearg to Seanna Bhraigh

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:56 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Ullapool), Cona' Mheall, Eididh nan Clach Geala, Meall nan Ceapraichean, Seana Bhràigh

Date walked: 14/06/2015

Time taken: 12.5 hours

Distance: 41 km

Ascent: 2300m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Tha mi a tighinn faisg gu an deireadh agus abair rathad ........ Moving onto the final straight with these Munros and with a decent finishing run to complete of good groups to reach that magic number decided to undertake this round on Monday.

Set of late 11am and decided on anti clockwise route via Gleann an Sguab and an idea to overnight on Eididh Clach na Geala or Seanna Bhraigh ,take in the sunset with a beer or two before walking out the next day .

Ach dhìochùimhnich ... but I forgot it is only Summer yet !

IMG_4784.JPG
Gleann an Sguab

An easy route up to the Bealach with weather overcast more like the back end than Summer but dry.

IMG_4785.JPG
Lochan

IMG_4786.JPG
Meall nan Cnapraichean

Bha an sgothan a' bristeadh ...... cloud was coming and going by the time I reached the Famine dyke and the shoulder of Beinn Dearg

IMG_4787.JPG
Gáradh Gort

An easy shift up onto Beinn Dearg having dumped the pack at the dyke , although no views to be had other than the cárn

IMG_4788.JPG
AN Cárn

A quick return down saw the views begin to clear nicely although Beinn Dearg held onto most of the day and a clear route over to Cona Meall , into Coire Grunda and distant Seanna Bhraigh

IMG_4793.JPG
Seanna Bhraigh

IMG_4791.JPG
Coire Grunnda

An easy enough first two and we found ourselves back on the Bealach and heading up Meall na Cnapraichean all straightforward enough and decent views all round

IMG_4792.JPG

IMG_4793.JPG

A long haul form here to Eididh Clach na Geala and I had thoughts of maybe pitching for the night on the Bealach between her and Meall na Cnapraichean but I could see a bank of cloud heading our way and decided to push on to the summit with the mist not taking long to reduce visibility to zero !

IMG_4794.JPG

From the summit I took a NE bearing which eventually took me out of the ceo and above the Cadha Ruaidh avoiding crags either side which looked pretty fierce , pleased to site the Cadha and time to look for a camping spot lower down

IMG_4795.JPG

Abair rathad fada .... a long enough haul , damp ground and with wind strengthening but more smirry showers we soon pitched up in a hollow by the a burn

IMG_4796.JPG

A reasonably comfortable night saw me asleep by 9.30am with only the noise of the water and the wind fairly brisk but not hitting us in our wee spot which was well sheltered .

Up and off at 8am in what looked like another misty day but I could tell the cloud was likely to break .... it did just as I took a bearing from the North top to Seanna Bhraigh itself

IMG_4807.JPG

IMG_4808.JPG

IMG_4806.JPG

IMG_4804.JPG

IMG_4805.JPG

We spent a fair while on the summit and a fine mullach and enjoyed the grand coire ,she is and a hard spot to reach Seanna Bhraigh , fairly remote indeed .

The walk out was long and a wee stop for tea helped break the exit up at the halfway mark. This is a good round and we were lucky enough with the weather , I guess navigation could be tricky if in constant mist /cloud especially around the Cadha Ruaidh below Seanna Bhraigh and I was glad I ticked Am Fhaoghach off in the Winter ! .

IMG_4802.JPG

Fuadaichean nan Gàidheal .............

Wester Ross suffered greatly between 1845-49 and the significance of An Gáradh Gort (the famine dyke) should not be underestimated , having being built by destitute Gaidhealachd families to mark sheep walks on land stolen from them in previous years, in return for meal to keep them alive .

It is a reminder for me not to forget the British State sponsored ethnocide of our people , nor the theft of our land and assets .

One day we will have our reparations .... thig an latha .

IMG_4790.JPG
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Re: Beinn Dearg to Seanna Bhraigh

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:09 am

Nice trip,shame the weather wasn't better.
Please fix the time on your camera I was confused :wink:
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:25 pm

Collaciotach wrote:A reasonably comfortable night saw me asleep by 9.30am ....
:? :lol: :wink:

Not many to go now.
Great walking area and also for a camping trip - one of my favourites - just a pity about the weather - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby BoyVertiginous » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:55 pm

Aye, pity you didn't get the views or weather your efforts deserved. A nap hand to soften the blow though.

You'll soon be able to pick and choose the days to revisit the ones that didn't give up the views first time around (or not) :wink:
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:17 pm

Your getting there Colla, a fine way to see these mountains :clap: Just the wee walk into Seanna left for me in the Deargs now :shock:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:04 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:Nice trip,shame the weather wasn't better.
Please fix the time on your camera I was confused :wink:

It has been removed :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:05 pm

BoyVertiginous wrote:Aye, pity you didn't get the views or weather your efforts deserved. A nap hand to soften the blow though.

You'll soon be able to pick and choose the days to revisit the ones that didn't give up the views first time around (or not) :wink:

Going to pick n choose the days for the last ones ..... sunny and clear only ....could take a while to "complete" :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland