walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

THE MELL TRAIL Brig o Turk

THE MELL TRAIL Brig o Turk

Postby SCOTRAIL DRIVER » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:48 am

Route description: The Mell circuit, Glen Finglas

Date walked: 27/02/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

THE MELL , (BRIG O TURK)
Sunday 22nd Feb 2009

We started at 10.10 am from Brig ‘o’ Turk at the car park at the bottom of the road that the tea room is on , car pack very small only room for about 5or6 cars at most. It was a lovely day for walking ,dry and a little windy. There was a sign at the start saying this walk was called the Mell Trail and should take 7 hours. The route lead us to the Glen Finglas Reservoir and within 30 minutes we had reached the junction wherethe sign for the Mell and Balquhidder( hill walk)

After a few hours into the walk we began the long steep climb in three parts,at the top of the first section was the signpost pointing to Balquhidder, then two more steep and winding sections until we reached the cairn at 600mt.Stopped for a well earned fuel break.We continued downhill and for 2 hours or so,and crossed a small wooden bridge that is over the start of Glen Finglas Reservoir. The walk along the path thats beside the water is winding and of various inclines which makes it a tough final section before u go through a gate up a small hill , and then you are back to the junction were the sign is again . The walk back to the car was slow i think we were all feeling it now but we made it back to the start to finish. 14 miles in 6hrs with 2 stops the trail was busy with walkers , bikers and some campers near the top of the Mell. Just a small note on my day on the mell , but will be back to try the hill walk into Balquhidder. Sorry no pics ,but have you ever left the house in the morning of your walk or climb and you have packed everything you need for your day out , but there is just one thing you want to take but for the life of you ,you can not remember what it is and you remember five mins before you park the car to start your walk or climb? Well that was me last Sunday just as i was putting my boots on i rememberd camera D'OH.Will just add some links and look at the great pics on them

http://www.woodland-trust.org.uk/glenfinglas/home.html
http://www.incallander.co.uk/achray/brigoturk.htm
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/a ... index.html
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/b ... index.html
SCOTRAIL DRIVER
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: THE MELL TRAIL Brig o Turk

Postby Alan S » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:36 pm

this was one of my favourite walks for a few years back ive never actually made it right round but have walked for a few miles but usually parking at the car park about 1 mile from brig o turk and walking across from there.
pity about the camera ive done that on more than one occasion.
i took my son out a walk at the end of last year starting from the tea room and pushing him up to the viewpoint in the pram with the intention of going further.big mistake absoloutley knackerd.
i managed to save 1 picture from that day of my son liam taking a break after his hard slog up the hill :lol:
viewpoint to finglas reservoir.jpg
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby SCOTRAIL DRIVER » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:09 pm

HI ALLAN
Thanks for your reply, i find it a great walk in you are in training it has every thing you need.
Yes the hole camera thing and it was a great day 2 bright, dry with sunny spells, i missed my chance.
But your pic what a smile :D :D :D or was that more to do with the white/choc in his hand or the great
views from that point.
cheers mate Stuart ( scotrail driver)
SCOTRAIL DRIVER
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Alan S » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:04 am

hi stuart

yes the views in that area of the trossachs are pretty special sometimes my favourite area.
i was trying to get a good shot of the wee man smiling chocolate's the only thing that works.

alan
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland