walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Paid the Devil & his 3 neighbours a visit, from Linn of D

Paid the Devil & his 3 neighbours a visit, from Linn of D

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:10 pm

Munros included on this walk: Braeriach, Cairn Toul, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 15/06/2015

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 41.5 km

Ascent: 1825m

28 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

These four hills have been on the radar for quite a while and I gave them a good look over on my recent trip to the Cairngorms when I did Carn a' Mhaim & Ben Macdui 8)
So it was just a matter of waiting for the weather to give me an opportunity to head back to Linn of Dee.
I did my usual research & not many folk tackle these four from Linn of Dee which I find surprising, unless the walk from the north is more pleasant :roll:
As usual with any walk from the Linn of Dee car park the bike has to accompany me, so it was stashed away in the back of the car & I arrived at the car park at 8.15.
The plan was to cycle past Derry Lodge and park/abandon the bike on the edge of the forested area, just before the path becomes unfriendly for cyclists, especially ones of my ability :lol:

Bike park

The way ahead

One thing that I did notice on my wee cycle was how much drier the ground was, bike got rather dirty on my last visit.
After parking the bike it was just a matter of getting into the usual walking routine and that would get plenty of practice :lol: I don't know what other folk thing of whilst pounding out the miles, but I find my mind wanders and one thing I always try and come up with is a decent heading for the WR. Another thing that occupies me is Naismith and the timings, I knew I would BEAT him today as I was using my 2 wheeled machine, having said that I think I still would have beat him, so am quite smug :lol: :lol:

It was just a matter of following the path and the first big decision I had to make was, do I try and cross the Luibeg via the ford or walk an extra 400yds or so north and cross by the bridge. I opted to try the ford, especially as the ground appeared to be much drier, as it turned out crossing the ford was easy 8)

Luibeg

The way ahead, uphill unfortunately

4 locals keeping an eye on me

The path skirts round the southern slopes of Carn a' Mhaim and then swings right into Glen Dee. The first target then appears The Devils Point and it really does look pretty impressive and you kind of think how am I going to get up there :lol:

Devils Point

Bridge over the Dee

Looking back at Corrour Bothy

The path splits in two just to the east of Devils Point, I took the left hand one which took me down towards Corrour Bothy and over the Dee on a shuggly bridge. I guess the bothy must have been full as there was a tent up outside. I didn't stop and continued on my way following the path which was now heading seriously uphill. One thing that I was keeping an eye on was the snow that appeared to be clinging to the ridge almost along the full length. Having experienced a similar problem in the Mamores a few weeks ago, as I got closer I was trying to work out the best and safest option.

The snow line

A closer view

As I was closing in on the ridge I noticed a guy ahead of me who had also been working out the best way ahead, we would later meet on the summit of Devils Point. Hi Andy hope you enjoyed the day and managed to catch the train OK :wink:

Snow feature

The preferred way onto the ridge

Looking back down into the glen

A local

Looking south down Glen Dee

Corrour Bothy

Looking up Glen Dee with Ben Macdui on the far side

Most of the day there had been plenty of helicopter activity, presumably training exercises they were never low enough to look down on them, here are a few shots :wink:

Once the Devils Point has been reached you would imagine it would be easy after that, wrong. Alright you have gained the majority of the height, but as DP is by far and away the smallest of the hills there is still plenty of ascending to be done and the majority of it is over boulder fields.
The Devils Point as you expect is a fantastic viewing point, after eating part of my piece and chatting to Andy I bid him farewell :wink:
The next port of call was Cairn Toul and to highlight the above point, you descend about 100m or so before climbing the 300m up to Cairn Toul.

Looking back to Devils Point

Looking across to Cairn Toul

There are 2 cairns on Cairn Toul, paid them both a visit, mainly because the path takes you that way but the northerly one is the true summit.

Great view down Glen Dee with Carn a' Mhaim on the other side

Still a few snow patches littering the hills

Next stop

The distance to the next Munro, I'll call it Angels Peak as I can pronounce that, didn't seem very far :o It also didn't involve too much descending/ascending which is even better :lol: There was plenty of avalanche evidence in the corries with plenty of snow still clinging to the eastern slopes.

Lochan Uaine

Lochan zoomed with some interesting 'icebergs'

ImageLooking NE

The way ahead

After Angels Peak it was then quite a trek to the next and final summit Braeriach, this involved following the path round the very broad ridge, however very large snow fields soon interfered. I opted to skirt round the snow as the edges of the snow were very icy and it wasn't too much of a detour. Whilst wandering towards Braeriach I saw a gathering to the west of Pinnacles Buttress and wondered what was going on. Not long after I met more members of the group and it turned out to be a Duke of Edinburgh navigation expedition :clap:

Navigation Course

Snow easing inching away from the edge

Snow fields on the approach to Braeriach

Looking down

Braeriach cairn

Lochan Uaine

Aviemore?

Arty shot with nice snow bank in the foreground

Lochan Uaine zoomed

Once I reached my final destination it was just the small matter of descending, this turned out to be a bit of a nightmare and I worked out that it took me just under an hour to descend 500m. In my defence the terrain was either very loose small stones or boulders, I was just glad to reach the bottom safely, it was then a matter of heading east across tufty grass to pick up the path.

The descent route

Angle of descent & terrain

The way down

During the descent I just about stood on this bird, she had about 6 young chicks which scattered, I was too slow with my camera & just managed to photo her. She was also leading me away from her young :clap: :clap:

Looking back and it doesn't look difficult or steep

Once on the safety of the path it was then a matter of ticking off the miles, I knew once I reached the turn off for the Bothy it was less than 2 hours to the car 8) Before that I reached my bike and was glad of a sit down, albeit not the comfiest of seats :lol: The cycle from Derry Lodge is almost a matter of freewheeling and I was certainly glad I didn't have to use much more energy as I didn't have very much left :(
Arrived back at the car bang on 9 and half hours after leaving and that had been one long walk.
When I got home, the sitting in the car had made my legs object to any form of movement.
The bad news is my right knee is really sore today, slightly swollen and every step is not much fun, especially going down stairs :( I am hoping a bit of rest will ease the soreness, especially as I am heading NW on Friday, was intending to tackle the Sisters :roll: Then on Saturday join basscadet for her compleation. Fingers crossed :wink:
The Cairn Toul traverse is a fabulous walk and for anyone who resides south of Perth I would recommend the Linn of Dee route 8)
Last edited by Fife Flyer on Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Paid the Devil & his 3 neighbours a visit, from Linn of

Postby teaandpies » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:58 pm

That first helicopter looks like it may (I'm guessing) be filming the other for a TV possibly?

I never tire of seeing peoples reports of this walk, something I can't wait to do.

Enjoyed this report :thumbup:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby quoman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi FF,
Nice report and picture's man you were Flying round there, hope the knee gets better for the sisters and basecadets last one.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:36 pm

Another BIG dayout Martin bet your glad you had a bike :clap: :clap: :lol: I compared it with the Lochaber Dirty Thirty and I note that has more distance travelled and more ascent, amazing I would never have thought that. Good luck with your knee recovery, get the ice pack on it, hope you ok for the Sisters, but I reckon if your wanting to go to the Compleation the Sisters might have to wait, lots af ascent :( :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby davidh » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:21 pm

Thanks FF for another excellent TR and photos that give others like me who aim to do (some of) this walk in the near future a good idea of current conditions.
Hope your knee recovers in time for your next planned outings.
davidh

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:36 pm

Another monster trip that mate, well done, you must be gaining some level of fitness from latest trips :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby AJNicholls » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:42 am

Every time I read your reports I end up jealous of all the free time you have. Can hardly wait to retire too although I think it's a fair way off for now!

Good stuff as always. Hope your knee improves soon.
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby mostlyhappyfeet » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:47 pm

Hi Andy here, thanks for the mention. I did make the train with 20 mins to spare, though I had to motor a long way back through rothiemurcus. Man, you're quick, you were way past angel's peak by the time I topped Cairn Toul.
Brieriach is my new favourite place ever, I cannot describe the air, the view, the atmosphere up there that day.
mostlyhappyfeet
Mountaineer

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:49 am

The Monadh Ruaidh

Big country indeed :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:59 am

Really enjoyed that. I was planning to do the 4 together as well and it helps to know about the boulder fields to cross :? Thanks for sharing!! :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby basscadet » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:09 pm

Brilliant Photos - You make the gorms look exciting, which is tricky usually, as there is too much foreground most of the time.. Although have been up all of these twice, and never got any kind of view at all :lol:
Aye, long walk that though.. Wouldnie fancy it myself :shock:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:21 pm

nice one, FF - I do like a good bike 'n hike :thumbup: still a lot of snow around, looking forward to getting back up here for our holidays - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:50 am

Superb, pictures this amazing landscape really well.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby dogplodder » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:13 am

That was useful as planning to walk from Linn of Dee to Devil's Point next week. It looks like there's no need for winter gear? Also wonder how much longer it will take without bikes but I guess you won't know since you had one! :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby ancancha » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:36 pm

Great photos :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

28 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland