walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Dearg Mor and Glen Feshie

Carn Dearg Mor and Glen Feshie

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon May 03, 2010 12:29 pm

Route description: Leathad an Taobhain and Càrn Dearg Mòr

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn Dearg Mòr

Date walked: 02/05/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 570m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There is not really much to be said about Carn Dearg Mor. It is a fairly uninteresting lump on the west side of Glen Feshie. However, it's position means it offers a wonderful 360 degree panorama - east to the nearby Cairngorm massif and Lochnagar, south over the glacier sculpted Mounth, west to Creag Meagaidh and the Monadhliath.

The route I took is straightforward. Follow the path up the glen and cross the river at the now only bridge. Shortly after, head up the hillside next to a small stream and plantation to reach a landrover track. From here, follow the crest of the ridge over short heather and paths to the summit. The shortest route back is simply to retrace the outward route but a much better way is to drop down to the landrover track above Lochan an t-Sluic and walk back along beautiful Glen Feshie. The sun had come out for me and it was a stunning evening

GlenFeshie.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Glen Feshie 1.jpg
Mounth looking to An Sgarsoch and Carn Ealar.jpg
distant Creag Meagaidh.jpg
magical upper Glen Feshie.jpg
Lochan an t-Sluic.jpg

looking back to Upper Glen Feshie 2.jpg

Carnachuin bridge.jpg
Mullach Clach a' Bhlair.jpg
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: Carn Dearg Mor and Glen Feshie

Postby monty » Mon May 03, 2010 12:48 pm

Some lovely pictures there LS.
Some of these Corbetts are a long walk for a short ascent :D And there seems to be so many of them :shock:
Like me you made the best of the good weather on Sunday.

Carnachuin bridge should now be called Carnachuin Jetty :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon May 03, 2010 4:40 pm

Yeah, it was a good day - I could see your hills in the distance. Great thing about the Corbetts is that, although the carpark was full, I did not see another soul all day once I left the main track in the glen.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby kinley » Mon May 03, 2010 5:16 pm

Looks like the river levels have dropped a bit in a week :)

It's a wee cracker for views this one - mad a great winter walk last year.

Cheers for that - enjoyed the report :D
kinley

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland