walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Magnificent Seven...2 Milestones at Glen Shiel Ridge

The Magnificent Seven...2 Milestones at Glen Shiel Ridge

Postby Petr Dakota » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:50 pm

Route description: South Glen Shiel Ridge: 7 Munros

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhàim, Creag nan Dàmh, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg, Sgùrr an Doire Leathain, Sgùrr an Lochain

Date walked: 20/06/2015

Time taken: 8.49 hours

Distance: 26.4 km

Ascent: 1927m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Finally weekend free and it means for me to afford some longer trip. Close to the milestone of 100 Munros ( 93 done before this trip ), I was thinking about the South Glen Shiel Ridge, where I can reach the 100 in one route - 7 Munros on the ridge :) 8) Originally I planned complete the 100 in Torridon, especially get the 100 on Liathach, but sumer looks busy for me, working a lot of weekends...not sure when I will be able to do some longer trip, bagging some munros during a week day sometime... and also my Brother will come visit us on september and it would be great to go to the Torridon with him together. The decision about a mountain we will climb is still open yet, but I offered him one of these: Liathach, An Teallach, Suilven, Ben Hope, Bla Bheinn, Aonach Eagach or Crib Goch-Snowdon-Y Llywed. Hope the weather will allow to do some of them 8) :D
So now it looked good for me to go to Glen Shiel and complete my 100 Munros, before my oncoming holiday. 8) :D :wink: Despite the fact that the weather forecast was not so good for the saturday, I was looking forward to go. The forecast showed clouds, sometime some drops of ligt shower, visibility between moderate and poor, but not wind....Not the best weather, but not so bad as You can't be sure that it will be better in the future and there is not many more free - long days for me to do something bigger :roll: :? :roll: :) Also if I will return there to the area some day later to climb The Brothers and The Sisters opposite side of the Valley, there is still a chance to catch some nice views from Glen Shiel in the future 8)
With the hope and because all the reasons above, I prepared all my stuff for the saturday's trip on friday night, checking the forecast often during the time. Woke up very early I left home at 02:15 headed to the Nort-West via Stirling, Perth, Dalwhinnie and Invergarry. Daylight is early in this time of year so I spent more time on the way - some enjoyable stops to catch some views in the Highland 8) :D

DSCF1590.JPG
Parked here, near the Cluanie Inn at the end of Loch Cluanie. I started the walk at 7:10, all the mountains covered by clouds, hidden in the mist
:roll: 8)
DSCF1596.JPG
Looking back to the start point, Cluanie Inn in the background on the left
DSCF1613.JPG
Creag a'Mhaim summit, the First Munro on the ridge - means 1/3 of total done
:D 8) :wink:
DSCF1616.JPG
Between no.1 and no.2: the walk to the nowhere...misty on the ridge
DSCF1621.JPG
...still misty around
:roll: :? :crazy:
DSCF1625.JPG
2nd Munro on the route - Druim Shionnach
DSCF1642.JPG
Munro no.3 Aonach air Chrith, the highest summit on the South Glen Shiel Ridge. Steepy ascent there over hard snow near the top...

Not rain, but continuous drizzle all the time on the ridge made the dillemma if keep the camera out - ready for any shot or put it in my rucksack. I decided to risk it and walked with the camera in the wet condition, keeping wiping... :crazy: The camera was still working, but after time the self-timer stopped. Since the time I made only shots of the summits, most part of way no visibility and nothing to snap by camera. :roll: :( :?
DSCF1653.JPG
Looking down from the misty ridge
DSCF1660.JPG
Visibility still the same on the top...
DSCF1663.JPG
Maol chinn-dearg, Munro no.4
DSCF1668.JPG
the summit of Sgurr an Doire Leathain - Munro no. 5, another steepy ascent before got here...
DSCF1673.JPG
Some rocky parts of the ridge
DSCF1676.JPG
Munro no.6 - Sgurr an Lochain summit
DSCF1677a.jpg
a baby Hare scared on the ground very close to the last summit
DSCF1686.JPG
Creag nan Damh, he Last Munro on the ridge means 100 Munros done and the route completed
:D :D 8) :D
DSCF1692.JPG
The West side of Glen Shiel, zoomed during the descend
DSCF1700.JPG
Boggy , sliding areas on my way down. Crossed this stream many times
:crazy:
DSCF1704.JPG
Looking back to the misty tops, you know or guess they are there
:lol: :lol: :lol:
DSCF1713.JPG
Finally down, near the road
DSCF1730.JPG
Finished and looking back to the Mountains...the South Glen Shiel Ridge is not visible, hidden in the mist behind
DSCF1732.JPG
on the road...
8) :D 8)
20150620_165519.jpg
Cluanie Inn
:wink:
z3.jpg
South Glen Shiel ridge from Cluanie Inn - still in clouds, but much better visibility now
20150620_173138.jpg
Looking back towards Glen Shiel over Loch Loyne on the way home...Great visibility now, can't compare it with morning
Last edited by Petr Dakota on Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Re: The Magnificent Seven...2 Milestones at Glen Shiel Ridge

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:59 pm

Report completed now, sorry for the incompletely short version before :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Wanderlust7 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:13 pm

Petr well done you on getting to 100 so quickly and also showing great dedication too, getting up at 0215!!! My wife thinks I am mad getting up at 0430, still I am sorry you did not have a great time of it and the weather was poor, but as you know such is life in this country. I am going there tomorrow and was hoping for the brother and sisters too on a 3 day camp which would take me exactly half way, but the weather is only good for 2.

You have offered your brother some great hills and I have often looked at Crib Goch myself, if you are going to Skye why not consider Sgurr Mich Chonnich as an option, it is a great hill and fantastic scrambling?

Anyway, congratulations on getting to 100 Petr, hope things improve for us all this summer as it has been rubbish so far. Thanks for sharing your report again.

Steve
Wanderlust7
Stravaiging

Munros:229   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:18 pm

That's better the full version now, already read the shortened one :lol: :lol: Pity you didn't get a better day to record your 100, Congratulations on the ton, now for your Holiday break, Enjoy :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:23 pm

Well done Petr and many congratulations, quite a way to bring up the ton :clap: :clap:

We had similar conditions when we did the ridge a couple of years ago, always said I would return if decent weather was on offer.

Hope you have a good time with your brother, am sure he will love the hills as much as you :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:21 pm

Wanderlust7 wrote:Petr well done you on getting to 100 so quickly and also showing great dedication too, getting up at 0215!!! My wife thinks I am mad getting up at 0430, still I am sorry you did not have a great time of it and the weather was poor, but as you know such is life in this country. I am going there tomorrow and was hoping for the brother and sisters too on a 3 day camp which would take me exactly half way, but the weather is only good for 2.

You have offered your brother some great hills and I have often looked at Crib Goch myself, if you are going to Skye why not consider Sgurr Mich Chonnich as an option, it is a great hill and fantastic scrambling?

Anyway, congratulations on getting to 100 Petr, hope things improve for us all this summer as it has been rubbish so far. Thanks for sharing your report again.

Steve

Hi Steve and thank you for your words and I hope and wish you have a good weather condition on your camping there. Enjoy the mountains as the visibility will be better for the 1st two days and especially monday 8)
I am planning the Crib Goch since I was in Snowdon 2013 and then also 2014 again to finish The Three Peaks Challenge there with my Brother and we saw the great ridge from a distance...
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:26 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:That's better the full version now, already read the shortened one :lol: :lol: Pity you didn't get a better day to record your 100, Congratulations on the ton, now for your Holiday break, Enjoy :D

Thank you Rod :) Some refreshment on the holiday, but also two nice mountains in my schedule :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:28 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Well done Petr and many congratulations, quite a way to bring up the ton :clap: :clap:

We had similar conditions when we did the ridge a couple of years ago, always said I would return if decent weather was on offer.

Hope you have a good time with your brother, am sure he will love the hills as much as you :wink:

Thank you :) I hope my Brother will enjoy the mountains and hope the weather will be good enough :roll: 8) :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:41 pm

DSCF1588.JPG
Here is the morning's pic from the same place as the last photo in the report...some different visibility. ..drizzle, wet, misty morning ( snap by camera ) and sunny, dry and clear evening ( by phone )
:roll: 8) :lol:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby jamesb63 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:47 pm

Hi Petr I hope to do this ridge early next month ,can you tell me will it be ok with the dog
and also will walking the road back be safe enough with him also
PS pity about the weather but I am sure the gods will be kind when you return to do the other side
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Petr Dakota » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:03 pm

jamesb63 wrote:Hi Petr I hope to do this ridge early next month ,can you tell me will it be ok with the dog
and also will walking the road back be safe enough with him also
PS pity about the weather but I am sure the gods will be kind when you return to do the other side

Hi James, I have not much experience of walk with a dog, but I think the route is ok if you will take care in the narrow rocky parts ( by the way go there in dry condition )...if your dog is following yours directions hope it would be ok. Maybe you can look at some reports if someone walked there with a dog...or ask Beaner001 or dogploger or Huff n Puff - they are walking with dogs often. On the road you must be really careful as there are some parts where some drivers are overtaking the others very fast and close to the side. Thank you for reading my report(s), glad if it can help you :wink: I wish you nice trip there next month, I am sure you will enjoy the beautiful area...hope and wish the weather will be as good as possible with better views than mine 8) :) :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:39 pm

DSC04171a.jpg
Here is the 7 Munros ridge - South Glen Shiel Ridge...this shot is made more than one year after the ridge walk...from the opposite side of Loch Cluanie. But it belongs to this report too - at least to see what I missed by the misty "views" there. Here is the whole range...
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland