walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A week in the Uig hills - Part 2

A week in the Uig hills - Part 2

Postby petelynn » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:11 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cracabhal (Lewis), Mealaisbhal (Lewis)

Date walked: 03/06/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 960m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another reasonable days weather between gales and rain enabled me to complete the western group of the Uig hills. Today Mealaisbhal and Cracabhal

meal1.jpg
Mealaisbhal (right) and Cracabhal from Uig

2015-06-03 16_30_19.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I parked at the north end of Breanais and walked up the old peat road until it petered out then headed across the boggy ground towards the N end of Mealaisbhal skirting loch Sanndabhlat.

meal2.jpg
Mealaisbhal from start of Walk

meal3.jpg
Bog bean in pool

meal4.jpg
Northwest over Loch Sanndabhlat

A steady climb over grass and rock slabs led to the increasingly bouldery minor top at 460m with great views.

meal5.jpg
Mainly blocky boulders higher up

meal6.jpg
Mealaisbhal summit from minor top

meal7.jpg
Tahabhal across Loch Raonasgail

meal8.jpg
Suaineabhal and Tarain (right)

meal9.jpg
Uig sands and Gallan head from minor top

meal10.jpg
View NE - Gt Bernera behind Suaineabhal

Then just a matter of picking a way through the boulders up to the summit of Mealaisbhal. The view to the SE now showed the route over to Cracabhal and the Harris hills beyond.

meal11.jpg
Mealaisbhal summit

meal12.jpg
SE from summit

Cloud came down in a brief shower as I descended to the col between Mealaisbhal and Cracabhal. The words in Richard Barrett's 'Walking in Harris and Lewis' formed a debate in my head as I made my way down to the col. 'Ascending the steeper rock on the north face of Cracabhal looks more difficult than it actually is but if you're inexperienced and lack confidence in moving on steeper ground ...'. The thought of a detour and never knowing whether it was easier than it looked meant I finally resolved to go straight up.

meal13.jpg
Cracabhal N ridge

And it was easier than it looked. The grassy bits, sodden and slippery with peat were worse than the rocky bits. I wouldn't have wanted to come down this way and there was no space to stop for photos. But twenty minutes later I was up and a bit relieved, a bit pleased with myself. Then it was on to Laibheal a Tuath and back to the road by a similar route to the Grimobhal walk.

meal14.jpg
Back to Cracabhal from Laibheal a Tuath

meal15.jpg
Harris hills from Laibheal a Tuath

meal16.jpg
Mealaisbhal from Laibheal a Tuath

On my way down I saw a couple of mountain hares, one still in the process of moulting its white winter coat, a couple of red grouse, noisy greenshank and grey plover and, rarest of all a person. This turned out to be a lady from Essex just moved to Breanais and hoping to convert a stone barn to a hostel.

I didn't get to climb anymore of the Uig hills in my weeks stormy weather but I'll post a final report on a couple of low level walks.
petelynn
Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:11
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:32
Wainwrights:11   

Re: A week in the Uig hills - Part 2

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:23 pm

Wow! Looks really wild and remote - one to do on one's own, definitely. I'd no idea that Harris had hills .... 8) :oops:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby petelynn » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:06 am

Yes, these hills definitely have an edge of the world feeling to them and are too remote and not high enough to be much walked. From here in Norfolk it took 36 hours to get there. The solitude you get from walking alone here is real - but there is no help at hand and almost never a mobile signal so I was well aware of the need to be careful. I now prefer to walk without the help of paths - at least it removes the anxiety of losing the path!
petelynn
Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:11
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:32
Wainwrights:11   

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:19 am

An amazing looking part of the country. Thanks for sharing. I love the Norse influence on the names up there, mixed in with the Gaelic.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland