walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Postby jac the lassie » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:05 pm

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 19/06/2015

Time taken: 24 hours

Distance: 38.83 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decided to go for my first camp up a hill and thought the hills to the east of glenshee might be easy enough, from other reports they looked like grassy lumps. That and the high start point would make carrying the bigger pack up a bit easier :lol:

558_754915560.png
The route

I set of on Friday at 6pm from the ski resort. First up Glas maol. Easy peasy
690_754916076.JPG
Glas maol

Next up cairn of claise, also easy peasy
690_754916033.JPG
Carn of claise

Sun was beginning to drop but I managed Carn an tuirc
690_754915987.JPG
Carn an tuirc

I decided to just track round towards tolmount, but find somewhere to camp before hand. Made camp just over before ca whims below some little tors.
I had a terrible night sleep because I had made the stupid mistake of leaving my inflatable mat in van to save a bit of weight. Big mistake as the moors tried to suck the heat out of me all night. Then at early o clock ptarmigan decided to start calling on the tor above the tent :(

Next morning I woke up easy enough but couldn't be bothered getting up :lol:
After making a coffee, I finally got up and 10 hours after making camp I finally got going again. 30 mins later I was on tolmount

690_754915897.JPG
Tolmount

But then the clag rolled in
690_754915933.JPG
The clag!!!

This was the point at which it got tricky. I dropped down to the glen between here and the knaps of fafernie. Only to find snow blocking the gulley.
690_754915755.JPG
Taken on the way back

I had no clue how deep or solid and it seemed to stretch in to the distance in both directions. In the clag I could see no end to it. Being by myself there'd be no one to help me out if I fell through. I started heading south looking for a suitable crossing point. Finally found a suitable bit below tom buidhe. After that it was a long bog slog through the knaps of farfernie to Fafernie then over to cairn bannoch.
690_754915854.JPG
Cairn bannoch

I thought about nipping round to do the three at lochnagar but knowing the terrain that waited on the way back I figured I'd leave those three for another day. I headed on to broad cairn. The clag was finally lifting!
690_754915790.JPG
Broad cairn looking down loch muick

Another bog slog back to crow craigies then up tom buidhe
690_754915717.JPG
Tom buidhe

Finally began making a bee line back towards glas maol. It was at this point I saw my first humans! All heading towards tom buidhe :lol:

By now I was running out of oomph but wanted to get my last one Creag leacach. Stopped for some munches on glas maol and looked over. Seemed like a nice easy shoulder then up the best looking hill I'd seen in the last 20 hours. Not the grassy lumps I'd been on. This gave me the perk I needed.

690_754915545.JPG
Shelter only for in desperation

690_754915667.JPG
Lovely path up

690_754915626.JPG
Creag leacach

At the top I looked down at the road and decided I didn't like the look of walking along it. There was another path below but it looked like quite an ascent on tired legs with a heavy pack.
I headed back towards glas maol and at 920mtrs I contoured round to pick up a faint sheep track onto Meall odhar. It got a bit steep and hairy at some streams but I made it ok. Back down to the van for 6pm. 24 hours but 8 munros and by some miracle, no ticks! :shock: :lol:
jac the lassie
Hill Bagger

Munros:73   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:24   

Re: 24

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:11 pm

Now that's a walk :clap:

the photo of the snow looks like a glacier :D :D

Well done !
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:59 pm

Nice long walk, and lots of Munros bagged! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pity about the sleep. Semi-inflatable mattresses don't seem to weigh very much (mine's 3/4 length), and the cost-benefit equation is very much in their favour: I slept on rock on the top of the Cuillin Ridge on mine, and it was so comfortable that I overslept the dawn!! I can recommend them!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby jac the lassie » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:09 pm

I had a 2 rd length multimat but left it in a bothy doing the whw a few month ago. I got a full length as a replacement, it only weighs about 500g and works great. It just seemed like such a good idea to leave it at the time! :lol:
lesson very much learned :D
jac the lassie
Hill Bagger

Postby JimboJim » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:41 pm

jac the lassie wrote:I had a 2 rd length multimat but left it in a bothy doing the whw a few month ago. I got a full length as a replacement, it only weighs about 500g and works great. It just seemed like such a good idea to leave it at the time! :lol:

I bet you slept very well the next night :lol:

Great report. Great hike! Might inspire me to get the tent out, but, then again ........
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby ancancha » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:08 pm

Nice one :clap:
I haven't camped yet, but if I get round to it will take your advice and get an inflatable mattress :lol:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby jac the lassie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:47 pm

JimboJim wrote:
jac the lassie wrote:I had a 2 rd length multimat but left it in a bothy doing the whw a few month ago. I got a full length as a replacement, it only weighs about 500g and works great. It just seemed like such a good idea to leave it at the time! :lol:

I bet you slept very well the next night :lol:

Great report. Great hike! Might inspire me to get the tent out, but, then again ........

Yip slept like a log! :lol:
Trouble wi the camping is the carrying the gear. Ma packs only about 9kg but still........
I'll probably be using this method a bit though as it's good for getting a lot done and seen when time is limited! :D
jac the lassie
Hill Bagger

Postby jac the lassie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:58 pm

ancancha wrote:Nice one :clap:
I haven't camped yet, but if I get round to it will take your advice and get an inflatable mattress :lol:

The stupidest thing about that is I've been camping for about 18years at all times of the year! I do know better but had a momentary lapse of judgement. :lol: :lol: :lol:
jac the lassie
Hill Bagger

Postby ancancha » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:11 pm

jac the lassie wrote:
ancancha wrote:Nice one :clap:

The stupidest thing about that is I've been camping for about 18years at all times of the year! I do know better but had a momentary lapse of judgement. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guess we have all had those, we live and learn sometimes :roll:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby edinburgh36 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:54 pm

Another great report Jac! Well done you :-) 8 munros in one go - you'll be at 50 soon!
I'm planning my first solo trip in August... not sure which one yet though.
edinburgh36
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   
Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:10   

Postby jac the lassie » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:58 pm

edinburgh36 wrote:Another great report Jac! Well done you :-) 8 munros in one go - you'll be at 50 soon!
I'm planning my first solo trip in August... not sure which one yet though.

Thanks laura! :D
Gotta wait a week or two but hoping to make bidean my 50! Not that I've planned it that way or anything, hehehe :lol:
You'll manage your first solo easy peasy! Have you thought about ben lawers? It was one of my first and really got my confidence going. You actually do beinn glas first so two for the price of one. Nice path all the way, cracking view and plenty folk about. There's also lomond or schiehallion. All easy peasy with your level of fitness. Hope you get a great day for it!
Jac :D
jac the lassie
Hill Bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland