walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers. Munros no 1 & 2.

Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers. Munros no 1 & 2.

Postby nathan79 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:52 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 26/04/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 860m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a few months training over autumn and winter in the Lomond Hills and the Ochils, i felt i was ready to start tackling Munros.

I booked a weeks holiday off and spent the first couple of day in Killin to tackle Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers. The car park was quite busy, but not too full seeing as it was a Monday.
DSCF1352.JPG
On the way up from the visitors centre via the nature tral. Gives a good idea of the weather that day. It was clear enough, but there was drifting cloud higher up and it was breezy even at lower levels.

Even though i've been putting in some lower level hill time i was huffing and puffing pretty quickly and had to take teh odd breather, leap-frogging a couple of walkers who set off just before me most of the way up.
DSCF1352.JPG
On the way up from the visitors centre via the nature tral. Gives a good idea of the weather that day. It was clear enough, but there was drifting cloud higher up and it was breezy even at lower levels.

I met the couple who'd set off before me on their way back down, they'd got to the top of Beinn Ghlas but Ben Lawers was still shrouded in cloud so they gave it a miss. I figured i might as well continue and get the 1 Munro.
By the time i got up to a point where i could see the summit of Lawers, i was happy to see that the cloud had moved on.

DSCF1369.JPG
Beinn Ghlas summit.

DSCF1373.JPG
Triumph in silhouette

I felt pretty damn glad i'd made it to the summit, but the low level breeze was a lot nastier up this high and i can't say i was enjoying it. A couple and their dogs caught me up at this point and continued on to Ben Lawers so i figured if they were doing it, why shouldn't i.

So, braving the wind i continued on to Ben Lawers. Got to say i was quite glad of the generous width of the adjoining ridge.
DSCF1374.JPG
Ben Lawers from Beinn Ghlas.

More huffing and puffing up to the summit of Ben Lawers ensued. Again glad to reach the summit of Lawers, but the wind was horrendous. Didn't have my gloves on and the wind chill was getting to my hands pretty quick. Quckly snapped a couple of pics then escaped the wind as quick as possible.
DSCF1379.JPG
Summit of Lawers

One of my knees started giving me gyp on the way up Beinn Ghlas so i knew it wasn't going to be a fun descent. I decided to take the easier route back and cut down and round the north side of Beinn Ghlass. I think i made the right move, even that route involved a lot of pain.

All in all an enjoyable first experience of Munro-bagging. Even with the frequent rest stops i was pretty happy with 5hours 21minutes.

On an additional note, rather than heading straight back down the road from the visitors centre back to Killin, i took the long route and drove down Glen Lyon. It was well worth the detour, a beautiful drive i recoomend.
Attachments
DSCF1364.JPG
The view down to Loch Tay and Killin on one of my breath-catchers.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Re: Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers. Munros no 1 & 2.

Postby monty » Tue May 04, 2010 2:18 pm

Well done Nathan,
Looks like the weather was kind to you (no rain or snow :D ). Don't worry about times just enjoy. Some lovely pictures too.
monty

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue May 04, 2010 7:33 pm

Nice report Nathan welcome to the world of munro bagging,theres no way out :)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Paul Webster » Wed May 05, 2010 8:21 am

Congrats on those first two peaks. Have you got the bug? :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland