walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A remote-ly interesting alternative route

A remote-ly interesting alternative route

Postby Mrs Scoob » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:23 pm

Route description: An Sgarsoch and Càrn an Fhidhleir

Munros included on this walk: An Sgarsoch, Càrn an Fhìdhleir (Càrn Ealar)

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac, Leathad an Taobhain

Date walked: 27/06/2015

Time taken: 14.66 hours

Distance: 57.6 km

Ascent: 1875m

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mid-week weather watching had us weighing up various routes in different areas, but we finally settled on a 4-Corbett route from Glen Feshie to include one of the most remote summits, Beinn Bhreac. Realising that Fhidhleir and Sgarsoch were really quite close (when looking at the map - zoom out far enough and everying is close!), Scoob came up with the bright idea of adding these 2 Munros to our route :crazy: This was more because we'd both done the very long route with a big river crossing to Geldie Lodge the first time around and Scoob really didn't want to go for the same again :roll: :lol:

The WH description of both of these Munros calls them 'unspectacular'... but our day was far from that! After a 10km cycle, a barefoot wade across the river, then a 14km walk, we could just begin to see our first target! :wtf: Climbing up the shoulder of An Sgarsoch we could see over to Geldie Lodge, finally reaching our first summit cairn almost 6.5 hours after leaving the car park. :shock:
DSC03661.JPG
cycle in starts on wonderfully smooth tarmac
DSC03662.JPG
cycle in finishes on more bumpy ground after the Lodge
DSC03674.JPG
river crossing - above my knee height in the middle; glad I'd just carried my trousers over too!
walk in.jpg
beautiful area, made the hours of walking in pass quickly
DSC03708.JPG
finally made it to the big waterfall marked on the map
DSC03715.JPG
Helpful - at least we didn't have to de-boot again!
DSC03722.JPG
An Sgarsoch now almost in full view, although still a fair way to go!
DSC03731.JPG
looking across the shoulder over towards Geldie Lodge - the alternative route in
DSC03740.JPG
An Sgarsoch summit at last!! :)

Long since figuring we wouldn't be going for all 4 Corbetts on this trip, we could now see the route ahead. Still plenty of daylight so we set off for the next Munro and planned to continue for at least the 1 Corbett, since Beinn Bhreac was our original target and all the rest were just 'add ons' around it :eh: :lol: I was most keen to come back off of Bhreac along the reasonably flat plateau to Leathad an Taobhain as that would give us a second Corbett thrown in to what would be a very long walk out regardless. Another lesson in paying closer attention to the maps though, as that plateau turned out to have many ups and downs as well as endless peat hags. There were some interesting finds though, and even the occassional piece of flatter ground :D
DSC03742.JPG
view to Fhidhleir, our next target
DSC03753.JPG
taking a more direct route up Fhidhleir
DSC03769.JPG
Carn an Fhidhleir summit looking to the Corbetts (Bhreac in centre with LaT off to the right with snow line)
DSC03777.JPG
heading towards the even more remote Beinn Bhreac
DSC03789.JPG
Beinn Bhreac summit at last!
DSC03792.JPG
LaT in the distance - that plateau's not looking quite so flat now!
DSC03802.JPG
a small 'get your breath back'/relief section :)
DSC03806.JPG
surprised we hadn't seen any deer before now, although there was plenty of space for us all out here!
DSC03817.JPG
cool snow tunnel :)
DSC03823.JPG
endless peat hags!
DSC03831.JPG
Leathad an Taobhain summit, woohoo!! Still smiling so can't be that bad :)

So now we only had one top to climb over to pick up the long landrover track back to the bikes. Realising we might not get back to the bikes before sunset at 10.15pm we kept pushing on. Hadn't thought to bring head torches with us today and we didn't have lights on either of the bikes :roll: However we reached the bikes at 10.30pm, cycled over the rough ground that made me feel like I was being violently shaken (bringing out my tourettes! :lol: ) and then finished off with a fantastic cycle on the good tarmac - wheeee! :thumbup: :lol: :D
DSC03849.JPG
track as far as the eye can see - long way til we're back at the bikes
DSC03854.JPG
Yay! Just a 10km cycle left to go...

beinn bhreac.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Mrs Scoob
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Re: A remote-ly interesting alternative route

Postby scoob999 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:44 pm

My feet still haven't forgiven me yet :shock:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:02 pm

Nice route, MrsS - good one for the bike too especially as you get to cycle down Glen Feshie :thumbup: Can remember cycling down from Auchlean for the two munros and getting a bit past the River Eidart before leaving the bike though the last bit involved some carrying :roll: so probably good to stop cycling when you did - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Mrs Scoob » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:41 pm

Thanks RH :) We left the bikes at the best place to make a loop... not sure I'd have gone much further on the rough track but that tarmac road was excellent! :D Almost made up for it :lol:
Mrs Scoob
Munro compleatist

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:59 pm

Thanks for that , was over a few of these on the Tarff round last week and saw nothing ......A wet , windy miserable hall to Feithe Uaine :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:17 am

That is just too far :lol: :lol: while it looks like a fantastic day it's a bloody long way bike or no...can't figure why you two still look so happy throughout :lol:

Really well done Fi, I know Stuart will just keep going like the duracell bunny but this is a long old haul :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:19 pm

A long day in some remote country - great read! I've been looking at a few reports of walks in this area, and it's seems like the bike is the way to go. I'm full converted to this dual mode anyway!

Glad you got good weather: I too have been scanning the forecasts, but generally it's been looking too unsettled for a long drive .... :(
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:54 pm

Wow thats some walk the two of you have done! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Silverhill » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:56 pm

Great pictures of Glen Feshie! But what a trek! :crazy:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby malky_c » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:29 am

Good plan, if a bit of a long day. Any route that goes the length of Glen Feshie is going to be a good one :)

In a similar vein, I think Carn na Caim and A' Bhuidheach Beag from Glen Tromie would be a good route too.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Mrs Scoob » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:53 pm

Collaciotach wrote:..was over a few of these on the Tarff round last week and saw nothing...
Thanks Collaciotach; I hope that means you're due some views on your next walk! 8)
ChrisW wrote:That is just too far.., I know Stuart will just keep going like the duracell bunny but this is a long old haul :clap: :clap:
Kind words Chris :thumbup: but I think he was almost burnt out - I had to point out I'm not physically capable of carrying him :wink: :lol:
Alteknacker wrote:... it's seems like the bike is the way to go. I'm full converted to this dual mode anyway!
Thanks Alteknacker; definitely go with a bike! Hope you also get the weather :)
Mountainlove wrote:Wow thats some walk the two of you have done! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Silverhill wrote:Great pictures of Glen Feshie! But what a trek! :crazy:
Thanks ML and Silverhill! Certainly felt like a big walk but loving the long days while they last!
malky_c wrote:Good plan, if a bit of a long day. Any route that goes the length of Glen Feshie is going to be a good one :) In a similar vein, I think Carn na Caim and A' Bhuidheach Beag from Glen Tromie would be a good route too.
Yep, Glen Feshie is stunning! Hmm... looking at Tromie now.... :roll: :lol:
Mrs Scoob
Munro compleatist

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland