walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Our First Munro and Apparently a Common View from the Summit

Our First Munro and Apparently a Common View from the Summit

Postby sross » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:44 pm

Route description: Ben Wyvis, near Garve

Munros included on this walk: Ben Wyvis

Date walked: 26/06/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The third time is the charm, as 'they' say. It is our third time in Scotland, our second time hillwalking and we finally bagged a Munro. Thanks to Walkhighlands and the advice of some of you far more experienced and 'hill-wise', we selected Ben Wyvis. This was fortuitous. The weather reports were somewhat dodgey, but we didn't come all this way to go shopping, so we headed for the hill. We were kitted out for any possible weather event and unlike the two hill-running guys in shirt sleeves, with no packs, who were just leaving the car park as we arrived, we weren't travelling very light.
With the number of you who have already written about this splendid walk, I won't go into any detail about the route. As we climbed the well developed trail, the wind got stronger, and the clouds moved in, soon, we could no longer see the first summit for An Cabar.

My complete lack of fitness preparation in combination with the deteriorating weather was completely gutting me by the time we were halfway up the stone steps. I had real doubts about whether I would make it to the top. At this point the hillrunning duo passed me on their way down and provided a well-timed, visual 'kick-in-the-posterior'. Onward and upward we went.

By the time we got to An Cabar and got our contribution to the cairn perfectly placed, I was about to pack it in. There was nothing to see, the clouds were getting thicker and it was now drizzling. Thankfully, like a good canuck, I didn't leave home without my gloves and my toque. Along with my waterproof coat and plants, and my scarf, I was quite snug. Just as I was deciding that it wasn't safe to be up on top in the current weather, a chipper fellow in short sleeves and shorts and his tall walking buddy arrived on the scene. They were carrying on to Ben Wyvis and then planning to do Tom a Choinnich. I expressed my concern about the weather, and the response was 'you've broken its back by this point, it's only a short climb from here'. Oh, and as to my concerns about not being able to see anything, that was laid to rest too, because apparently this is the most common view from the top of a munro. 'Who knew?' The right words at the right time. Then as we headed off for the peak of Ben Wyvis we met up we a couple who confirmed that you can never rely on the local weather reports, and they provided us with very good advice on how reaching our desintation in the fog. As we say at home, when we drive in bad weather, 'keep it between the ditches', basically we were told to stay between the edges.

I was never concerned about getting lost, Zeke is too good with a map, I just needed to hear a more local person say that we weren't daft. The result was all smiles (thank you to 'Mr. Shorts' for taking the photo)

image.jpg
We can't believe we did it!

We drank our celebratory wine, ate our rapidly deteriorating sandwiches etc. and then started back down. That was interesting too. First we met up with a whole herd of people who were heading for the top. Their leader fell down as we met them, but all seemed in good spirits. Then we even met up with another couple heading up. This just goes to show that the inclement weather must really have been par for the course.

Then, with the wind howling and the rain blowing all around us, I heard a 'belching' noise coming from below us. Zeke called back to me and asked if I was making that noise :shock: We kept hearing it over and over, always below us. I had expectations of some phantom stag or something. It was around this time that we met up with a flock of ptarmigans in their black and white plumage (5 of them-unfortunately the weather was too horrid to risk the camera to take a picture of them). They kept pace with us for several minutes, until they became bored with us and flew off. Just as their leader was taking off, he let out several of his huge 'belching noises'-what a laugh.

The walk down was much easier than up and although we arrived at the car completely drenched because by this point my trusty toque was releasing water down my neck. I feel we got full value for the experience even though there wasn't a panoramic view, it was probably more typical of all the munro climbing that has occurred over the years.

It was an epic day for us.
sross
Mountaineer

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Our First Munro and Apparently a Common View from the Su

Postby teaandpies » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:00 pm

Congratulations :clap:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:36 am

Nice one. Hopefully the first of many!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:47 am

Glad you made it :) Pity you had no views but maybe next time :wink: Guess you might have caught the Munro Bug now :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:00 pm

oh very well done. I call it "Scotland's Favourite View". you need to come back in good weather. Just keep coming back you will get some eventually. :D
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Emmanuelle » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:43 pm

Welcome to walking in Scotland. The summit was in cloud when I did it a couple of years ago but the weather cleared up on the way down (via Tom a'Choinnich) and I got great views :lol: . You'll have to come back.
Emmanuelle
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:78
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:4   
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 pm

You are clearly well prepared for all eventualities (a bottle of wine in your bag, for example...)!

If you enjoyed your day clag notwithstanding, then a walk on a fine day will absolutely blow your mind.

Sadly, it is true that the most common picture is probably of a summit cairn or trig point in clag. But it doesn't have to be.

I'm a total wimp when it comes to bad weather. I can do it, but I don't really enjoy it, so I wait for a weather break, anxiously scanning the MWIS forecasts. And as soon as there's a high over the North West I jump into my car and head off. This is one way of increasing your chances of getting up Munros in fine weather.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Silverhill » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:36 pm

Congratulations! If you’ve had wind, rain and no views on your first munro, then it can only get better for your second. :wink: Unless there is more wind and rain or even snow :shock: .
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby sross » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:53 am

teaandpies wrote:Congratulations :clap:

Thanks! We still can't believe we did it!
sross
Mountaineer

Postby sross » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:55 am

Mal Grey wrote:Nice one. Hopefully the first of many!

Thank you! It was the first of two munros for this trip, if I can get my photos sorted out, at list a pictorial account of our other munro will follow.
sross
Mountaineer

Postby sross » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:03 am

The Rodmiester wrote:Glad you made it :) Pity you had no views but maybe next time :wink: Guess you might have caught the Munro Bug now :lol:

The interesting thing is that we couldn't see the summit on the approach, and we didn't see it when we got there, so it remains a mystery to us. As the photos will prove (once I get the photos worked out) for our next munro, the views were uncommonly good. Unless we win the lottery, I think we'll have to keep the Munro Bug at bay. Thanks!
sross
Mountaineer

Postby sross » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:12 am

mrssanta wrote:oh very well done. I call it "Scotland's Favourite View". you need to come back in good weather. Just keep coming back you will get some eventually. :D

Mrssanta, The benefit of staying for a couple of weeks is that we did get to enjoy about 3.5 seaons, and even some wonderful sunny warm days. I must remember the title 'Scotland's Favourite View and if we frame our summit shot (or at least create a photo book), I'll be sure to put that quote under the photo.

Welcome to walking in Scotland. The summit was in cloud when I did it a couple of years ago but the weather cleared up on the way down (via Tom a'Choinnich) and I got great views :lol: . You'll have to come back.

Thanks Emmanuelle-Zeke has decided we need to give some other hills in the world a chance, so I think Scotland will have to wait a few years for our return. :( The next overseas holiday fund jar, will say 'Italy and the Dolomites' on it. :)
sross
Mountaineer

Postby sross » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:14 am

Silverhill wrote:Congratulations! If you’ve had wind, rain and no views on your first munro, then it can only get better for your second. :wink: Unless there is more wind and rain or even snow :shock: .

Thanks Silverhill, your prediction was quite prophetic and our second munro was an entirely different experience. Actually the most interesting weather we ever experienced was last trip on Stac Pollaidh when we had clag, rain, sleet, snow and sun all within about 40 minutes time. The photos after the weather cleared were amazing.
sross
Mountaineer

Postby sross » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:21 am

Alteknacker wrote:You are clearly well prepared for all eventualities (a bottle of wine in your bag, for example...)!

If you enjoyed your day clag notwithstanding, then a walk on a fine day will absolutely blow your mind.

Sadly, it is true that the most common picture is probably of a summit cairn or trig point in clag. But it doesn't have to be.

I'm a total wimp when it comes to bad weather. I can do it, but I don't really enjoy it, so I wait for a weather break, anxiously scanning the MWIS forecasts. And as soon as there's a high over the North West I jump into my car and head off. This is one way of increasing your chances of getting up Munros in fine weather.

:) Thanks Alteknacker, being married to a retired military person, one must be prepare for anything, and if there is a way of turning something difficult into a party, or a celebration, well then they should be pursued with maximum effort. Living in Canada if we were put off by the weather, then we'd have to stay indoors for nearly 5 months each year. I can now see why so many of the people from Scotland settled in Canada (including some of our relatives) after the clearances, the weather made them feel right at home. :lol:
sross
Mountaineer

Postby ancancha » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:04 pm

Congratulations on your first Munro :clap:

Interestingly it took me a couple of goes to do Ben Wyvis at the end of April, met your runner training on the staircase on the first attempt

Ben Wyvis Runner Staircase.jpg

a father and son getting ready for a big mountain race, I forget the name, they were pretty dedicated though :!:
The weather was atrocious that day

Ben Wyvis Runner.jpg

Eventually I got up a couple of days later though it was still windy and snowing

Ben Wyvis Summit.jpg

and got some tantalising glimpses on the way back down

Ben Wyvis Corrie.jpg

Little Wyvis.jpg

Ben Wyvis Ridge.jpg

Was so looking forward to views of the Moray coast where I was brought up, sais la vie :(

Sorry to have tagged onto your report, hope is Okay :?:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland