walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not my life as a dog or was it not?

Not my life as a dog or was it not?

Postby litljortindan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:21 pm

Munros included on this walk: Braeriach

Date walked: 29/06/2015

Time taken: 9.75 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 900m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Easy walk up to Chalamain Gap then a bit of a struggle through the boulders which made me decide on a bypass to the north for the return. Once beyond CG though plain sailing the whole way apart from a surprisingly cold spell for an hour below the top. Still, it felt very easy to get there and the cool/cold wind was quite uplifting. Enjoyed looking down into the Lairig Ghru over the crags that line the lower slopes of Sron na Lairige.
A bit disappointed not to get a clear summit but still plenty of views just below and quite atmospheric having the mist and gusty wind there. Brief stop at the top then straight back down but feeling less energetic and creeking around the knees a bit.
Managed a comical fall just before CG on the way back. Not exactly sure what I did but have taken to keeping my trousers loose around my ankles and seemed to catch one trouser leg with the opposite foot and that was me falling like a log. Managed to stick my right knee out as a "cushion" at the last moment and this seemed to help distribute the impact. Anyway, got up slowly and no damage done. Then took a fairly easy bypass north of the CG and was very pleased with how much peril I avoided by doing this.
So what I thought could be an uncomfortably warm walk was nothing of the sort, on the way up at least.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

view of Meall a' Bhuachaille from near the Sugar Bowl

the cloud that was forecast to lift -onwards!

first glimpse of the Chalamian Gap

final snaky section of path to CG

haha! this looks easy

oh

a bit of a struggle for me

at last, out into the surprisingly open land between CG and Lairig Ghru

route ahead plainly in sight

glimpse of the northern corries

crags looming over Lairig Ghru

view west to Sgor Gaoith

Ben Rinnes to the north east

Lurcher's Crag, Meall a' Bhuachaille, Ben Rinnes and co

March Burn

Devil's Point

River Dee

Lochan Uaine

misty at the top

back down out of the cloud

and the view north

cloud off Sgor Gaoith so probably off Braeriach by now

Lurcher's Crag

bypassing Chalamain Gap to the north -a really easy alternative

Last edited by litljortindan on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Not my life as a dog or was it not?

Postby Silverhill » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:58 pm

I renamed Chalamain Gap Calamity Gap after I managed to traverse it with a 20kg pack on my back 10 years ago (I have learnt to cut down luggage since then). Shame that the views from the summit were a bit misty, but I do very much like the picture with the river Dee wriggling its way down the glen. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Re: Not my life as a dog or was it not?

Postby litljortindan » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:01 pm

Silverhill wrote:I renamed Chalamain Gap Calamity Gap after I managed to traverse it with a 20kg pack on my back 10 years ago (I have learnt to cut down luggage since then). Shame that the views from the summit were a bit misty, but I do very much like the picture with the river Dee wriggling its way down the glen. :D

Wouldn't fancy crossing it with a heavy rucksack but I suppose I was most put off by the sustained concentration needed to avoid a slip and then the back ache that crept up on me as I spent too much time bending the wrong way. Enjoyed the walk despite the lack of summit view -still plenty to see just below the top and lower down.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland