walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

High route round the Glenshee hills

High route round the Glenshee hills

Postby trederdog 100 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:29 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, Creag Leacach, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 01/07/2015

Distance: 20 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I did this walk with ancancha, and thanks to him for suggesting it. We choose this route as a way of knocking off Creag Leacach and The Cairnwell which ancancha still had to do. I had to do all of them! :roll:

The drive up was uneventful but reminded me of my first time driving to Munro's after passing over two years ago, I choose the Glenshee road for some reason! http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32869

img_0012.jpg
Creag Leacach

img_0013.jpg
The Cairnwell across the glen

img_0015.jpg
Ancancha taking in the sights

We set out, and it was a bit chilly for late June, but the climb up Creag Lecach's stern slopes soon warmed us up. Its good to see the summit, free of clag although looking stony.

img_0019.jpg
First southern summit of Creag Leacach from summit

I just had a pair of new Salewa approach style walking shoes on, so was interested to see how they'd cope with a few Munro's and a rocky top. My feet always seem to get heel lift, but these were so far pretty good and allow a lot of flexibility and breathability compared to my solid Scarpa winter boots. Anyway enough boot chat.

After watching ancancha following a ptarmigan/grouse (we were pretty sure it was a ptarmigan as it had white winter plumage still on) around with the camera for a while, we got up to the first summit, and the first rocky section. Its a brief rise then stroll across to the real summit, just in time for some mist and rain to set in for ten minutes, perfect timing! We managed to get a few summit shots first though.

rsz_creag_leachach_023.jpg
Bird / ptarmigan

creag_leachach_031.jpg
Me posing

creag_leachach_033.jpg
ancancha, also posing

img_0022.jpg
Summit from beneath Glas Maol

The old Salewa's were doing OK, just a bit stiff, but probably better to have boots in the stony tops. We soon descended around the western side of Glas Maol, which we'd both climbed before, ancancha whilst ski-touring I believe. Looks a good place for it . A sturdy group of students were making moves to attempt an overtake but we held them off, taking the ski tracks down...when disaster struck! Well a tweaked leg anyway, maybe not disaster. Ancancha had pulled a leg muscle (I'm good with muscle names :clap: ), he tried stretching it out a bit but ultimately it would curtail his walk. Shame as we were having some good patter and the weather wasn't so bad! :(

I left ancancha to meander back to the cars over the old military road that runs under The Cairnwell, which had him ruminating the origins of during the walk. No doubt it was more picturesque than the ski centre tracks which I endured to climb up Carn Aosda, although in retrospect I should have cut straight up the side. It still would have been littered with infrastructure though :(

img_0026.jpg
Welcome to Glenshee!

At the top it was getting late at about half 5 so I didn't stop for long, but had a nice sit with a view to the north-west, no ski stuff in sight and the birds calling in a reallly strange, melancholy way. No idea what birds they were but it seemed so remote from Glenshee!

img_0031.jpg
Summit of Carn Aosda

img_0036.jpg
The Cairnwell

A quick trot over to The Cairnwell didn't take long, shoes still keeping my feet comfortable so I weighed up the options and decided to plump for Carn a'Gheoidh. Be annoying to miss it!
It was a cracking fast walk over easy ground with a nice view of the Choire Dhirich and then scooting round the Carn nan Sac. I soon reached the summit at 7pm, with great views North to the Cairngorms and just a few mountain hares to keep me company. Hadn't seen anyone else since Glenshee carpark.

img_0052.jpg
Carn a'Gheoidh

img_0053.jpg
Structure approaching Carn a'Gheoidh

img_0058.jpg
Mountain Hare with the Cairngorms as backdrop

img_0060.jpg
All the essentials at the summit. Had to get a shoe shot in

It was pretty cold at the top, so gloves on, coat on - I felt like it was beginning of winter, only to receive a text from friend down in Southampton that hes sat in beer garden with 28 degree heat! didn't have the views I did though. I tried scooting round the grouse / ptarmigan when I saw them, but they're so camouflaged, they scuttered off before me and i studied the ground to make sure I didn't squish any. I descended just south-west of Carn nan Sac, skirting round scree, but over rough stone strewn and heather hidden land.

img_0069.jpg
Pet this little pal on route down

It was a bit sore on the feet (more boot chat) but a quick descent, making sure I went down into Choire Dhirich. A rather steep last section to cross the stream soon saw me down at the old road and a quick trot back to the car at about half 8. Thats officially the most Munro's I've done in a day, and some good chat with ancancha, I'd recommend the route if you have to knock off Creag Leacach :clap: 8)
Thanks to ancancha for the summit pictures and the bird!

img_0076.jpg
My car having a staring contest with Creag Leacach
trederdog 100
Munro compleatist

Munros:158   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:1

Re: High route round the Glenshee hills

Postby ancancha » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:57 pm

Glad you made it all the way round in the new shoes 8)
Pity I didn't get the Cairnwell :( but managed to avoid being ambushed on the old military road ( an in joke, post reply if you want in :lol: )
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: High route round the Glenshee hills

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:24 am

That was a good round. I was looking over at Carn a' Gheoidh last week from Carn Bhac thinking it has a more peaky top than I remembered it having from when I did it in thick clag! :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland