walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A round of Six

A round of Six

Postby Play2End » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:00 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Affric), Beinn Fhionnlaidh (Càrn Eige), Càrn Eige, Màm Sodhail, Mullach na Dheiragain, Sgùrr nan Ceathreamhnan

Date walked: 03/07/2015

Time taken: 16 hours

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 2800m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

From the campsite at Strawberry cottage I hopped on the bike to the start of the walk, the stalkers path up to Bealach Coire Ghaidheil. It was an early start, 4.30am as the local ghillie decided to start work near the bothy at 3.30am and it was his quad bike roaring up the glen that woke me up. Up to the first Munro nice and early meant I was on the summit for 7am. But I was not the first as two intrepid campers were there all night.
It was then on to the next two, Carn Eighe and Beinn Fhionnlaidh. The weather remained warm, calm and sunny. By 11.30am I was off the final summit and heading south west into Gleann Choilien. On the 1:25000 map two huge gullies descend west off the slopes of Carn Eighe and Mam Sodhail, it was my intention to cross one and avoid the other. Following a deer track the first gully was easily crossed and then I headed sharply down to the track in the glen to avoid the other.
After a long stop for lunch at the river I forded it then ascended the grassy slopes to the fourth Munro Mullach na Dheiragain. That slope, in the heat, and just after my ample lunch was a real killer. A protein bar helped me out and I reached the summit for 2pm.
The best part of the day was the long ridge walk over the Munro Top to the fifth Munro Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan. It was so enjoyable in the warm afternoon but certainly a long slog up to the summit. It was 5pm and now for the long ridge walk over many tops for An Socach. In the evening sun it did get cooler but still lovely as I finally reached the sixth Munro of the day at 6.300pm. It was another couple of hours down the slope to where I left the bike and back to the campsite.
It was only when I reached the tent that I felt totally exhausted but glad to have done all remaining Munros in Glen Affric in one day while the sun shone.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Play2End
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:92
Fionas:73   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:17   Islands:32

Re: A round of Six

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:37 pm

A great route! Not tempted to spice it with some piccies???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: A round of Six

Postby Play2End » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:43 pm

No piccies! But you can imagine it...
Blue sky
Clear views
Green Hills
etc etc etc
Play2End
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:92
Fionas:73   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:17   Islands:32

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland