walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tri ann an t Eilean Sgiathanach - Three Skye Munros

Tri ann an t Eilean Sgiathanach - Three Skye Munros

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:19 pm

Munros included on this walk: Am Basteir, Bruach na Frìthe, Sgùrr nan Gillean

Date walked: 04/07/2015

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 18.6 km

Ascent: 1114m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

You may think the first thing I see on crossing the Eilean Ban to Skye is the Cuilinn range , yet it is not ,its the small sentinel of Dun Caan on the Island of Rasaay to the North West that always catches my attention .

Next it is Glamaig and then Marsco , they are all connected and celebrated in Gaelic song and poetry ,have been for generations .

I pulled the car up beside a moonlight Marsco on Thursday night with a mind to undertake Bruach na Frithe and Am Baister on Friday morning given a "good" forecast.

IMG_5014.JPG
An Gealach Marsco - Nighfall on Marsco

A fine sleep in the vehicle and away sharp at 5.30am on the "tourist path" to Coir Fionn and it did indeed look promising

IMG_5015.JPG
An Cuilithionn

Tis a decent slige all the way to the bowl coire and would not be difficult to follow even in misty or cloudy conditions which I could see arriving as I approached !

IMG_5017.JPG
Ceo is Sgoth

Should have gone at 2am, which I have to confess I did consider to catch sunrise as the range as clear all night

Once in the Coire the mist was not to bad , still a confusing place and although I had a bead on the direction there are many trails to choose from ,so I sampled quite a few in all directions to get my bearings . I wandered up a few gullies and out onto Sgurr Am Baister which was clear ! ...then back in and onto Bruach na Frithe ...which wasn't !

IMG_5018.JPG
Bruach na Frithe

A bit disappointing , so I hung about a wee bit in case she cleared as the cloud was thin showing occasional glimpse or more like shadows of rocks ,buttresses and the like......

I wandered down a slighe which I thought was on the Coire Basteir side of the fiacal (tooth) and then caught a glimpse of the rock which was to my left ...ooops ,quick scramble back up and things started to improve.

IMG_5019.JPG
Fiacal Am Basteir

IMG_5020.JPG
A ribhist

IMG_5021.JPG
Sgurr am Basteir

A clear route down under the tooth was visible , I kept well clear of the base as I could hear folk clattering about up in the mist and was wary for falling stones , its a mossach side down the loose rocks and scree ...sleamhnaich gu dearbh .

The clamber up the ridge was steep but fine god holds andin the mist you are aware there is a fair fall either side negotiated the step without difficulty and onto the summit , she wasn't showing much sealltainn !!!

IMG_5022.JPG
Am Basteir

Again we hung around , she cleared intermittently then came in thick again so I clocked the time it was early enough so I reckoned Sgurr nan Gillian was on the cards but what route ?

We gained the Bealach again and had a look at the connecting druim (North) it looked fierce but the fleeting glimpses to the summit made it appear hard but possible , I also looked West to a drop into the West coire under Sgurr Beag which also looked possible gaining the West ridge somewhere mid point .

What to do ?

Ach I dropped into Coire Bhasteir and traversed round losing a lot of height to catch the route up the West ridge a good way round and adding some time onto the journey. I had no knowledge of the North ridge and decided to play safe rather than spend ages picking up and perhaps being turned back on a random route ,getting sensible in my old age ! .

The druim onto Gillian is hard going but care and it presents no issues in fact it is very good scrambling and the weather was clearing .. sgionneil :D

IMG_5024.JPG
Sgurr Beag

IMG_5025.JPG
Glamaig

I scrambled to the left of the ridge to keep out the wind which was picking up and a steep exposed scramble to the wee drop was great cráic , all good olds and dry rock , be mighty different in the wet I guess ....soon enough the summit was visible ....

IMG_5026.JPG
Sgurr nan Gillian

A quick shift onto the mullach and the weather cleared so an hour on the summit exploring and taking pictures

IMG_5027.JPG
Am Basteir , Sgurr nan Gillian

IMG_5028.JPG
Bla Bheinn

I had a bite to eat then clambered down the druim that connects to Bastier , went a fair way down and it looked fairly moderate most of the way and I was tempted to use this as a route out :wink:

IMG_5029.JPG
Clach an Uinneag

IMG_5030.JPG
Seallaidh Coire Ghlas

IMG_5031.JPG
Shios

IMG_5032.JPG
An Uinneag

IMG_5034.JPG
Bealach nan Basteir agus Druim Iar

In the end the sensible head kicked in and I decided to scramble down the route I had taken up except this time over the slabs which were great fun the whole of An Cuilithionn was now in view and a splendid vista all around me with that unusual yellow thing beating down for a change .

IMG_5036.JPG
Sgurr Mhic Connich

IMG_5041.JPG
Sgurr Alasdair agus MhicCoinnich

The drop down was but I was fairly pleased with my day which leaves me only four to do in the range ,Sgurr MhicCoinnich /Alasdair also Sgurr a Mhadaidh / Greadhaidh ,although I reckon there is plenty exploring to do in these fine mountains.

IMG_5043.JPG
Gun Ainm

I mentioned Dun Caan at the beginning here she is on the Eilean Ratharsair with perhaps unrivalled views to An Cuilithionn .......

IMG_5037.JPG
Dun Caan

An Cuilithionn is more than a grouping of hills , it an inspiration to the greatest Poet ever to grace the land of the Scots their finest Bard , bar none , Somhairle MacGill-Eeain or Sorley MacLean .... a'rugadh ann Eilean Ratharsair ann 1911 aig Osgaig.

It is unfortunate that colonisation and marginalisation has watered down our rights , culture , language and side lined his great poem "An Cuilithionn" to the few .

An Eilean uachdrach
a' Chuilithinn ghruamaich,
nan loch suaineach
mo luaidh's mo ghaol

He is way better than Burns who after all was just a Scots speaking fermer :wink:

Go find him ,you won't regret it ........... http://www.sorleymaclean.org/english/chronology.htm
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Re: Tri ann an t Eilean Sgiathanach - Three Skye Munros

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:43 pm

There sure is plenty exploring to do in these fine mountains, as you say! For me, the finest place on the planet. I just wish I lived nearer - reports like this make me quite envious :sick:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby dav2930 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:05 pm

Looks like you had a wonderful time on these magnificent peaks - quite an adventure! Some great photos there. Gaelic is such a poetic language; I really must learn it so I can read An Cuilithionn. :D
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Bruno » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:07 pm

Great report and photos, as ever, Colla. Inspirational in all respects. :clap: :clap: :D
Iain
Bruno
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:117
Fionas:29   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:47 am

Alteknacker wrote:There sure is plenty exploring to do in these fine mountains, as you say! For me, the finest place on the planet. I just wish I lived nearer - reports like this make me quite envious :sick:

Ach takes me 2hrs n 15mins to get to Skye Alte ..spare me a thought :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:47 am

Bruno wrote:Great report and photos, as ever, Colla. Inspirational in all respects. :clap: :clap: :D
Iain

Moran Taing a bhalaich :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:48 am

dav2930 wrote:Looks like you had a wonderful time on these magnificent peaks - quite an adventure! Some great photos there. Gaelic is such a poetic language; I really must learn it so I can read An Cuilithionn. :D

Always translation but much is lost :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:35 am

Agree about Sorley MacLean. Close pal's sister married his nephew - so that's my claim to fame sorted. :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:49 am

Absolutely agree with your comments on Raasay's volcanic Dun Caan, was over on Skye Thursday/Friday and I couldn't take my eyes off it, easily seen from the Mountains and the road. Skye however is something else, so different from the Eastern Landscape, so refreshing, an awesome place :D
Cheers
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:44 pm

Quite a few ups and downs but a good result in the end :thumbup:
I take my hat off to you - not sure I'd want to try that for the first time without a guide - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby malky_c » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:16 pm

Good routefinding :D

I remember setting off to do all 3 of these in winter, starting with Gillean. We didn't even quite get to the top of Gillean, never mind the rest :roll: .

Sounds like you've done most of the difficult ones - the rest will be a breeze :wink:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby dooterbang » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:32 am

Brilliant Colla - epic stuff :)

Skye is just a stunning landscape, never tire of it.

You're nearly there, looks like you'll complete before me....how did that happen :lol: 8)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:37 pm

dooterbang wrote:Brilliant Colla - epic stuff :)

You're nearly there, looks like you'll complete before me....how did that happen :lol: 8)

Aye kinda thinking this year but I ain't going out in bad weather for the last 15 , got to be views ....thagt might hold me back :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby dooterbang » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:01 pm

Collaciotach wrote:
dooterbang wrote:Brilliant Colla - epic stuff :)

Aye kinda thinking this year but I ain't going out in bad weather for the last 15 , got to be views ....thagt might hold me back :D
I totally agree that you should wait for the views, I don't understand people that don't :? . That's why It'l take me longer to complete. Agree also that the weather has been utter crap :(
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland