walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Meal recommendations

Meal recommendations

Postby algorhythm » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:51 pm

During a hill walk I like to stop for something more than just a snack once I've reached the summit. At the moment though its usually just a sandwich deal I've picked up from a supermarket on the way there.

I'd like to be able to cook/prepare something a little more interesting the night before but my cheffing imagination is fairly limited. Does anyone have any hill friendly meal recipes they'd care to share?
algorhythm
Munro compleatist

Munros:30   Corbetts:38
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:13

Re: Meal recommendations

Postby Harko » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:59 pm

Afraid not - I don't really eat much when I'm out on the hills, maybe a couple of babybels and a peperami and that's about it. I prefer instead to go to a nearby pub/hotel for a decent feed when I'm done - a worthy reward for a hard day's work.
Harko
Stravaiging

Munros:51   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby KatTai » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:11 pm

Make your own sandwich instead of buying from the shop? That's about the extent of my food prep for walks goes I'm afraid! I suppose you could make up one of the cold pasta things or tortillas?
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:47 pm

An old friend of mine used to make enough porridge for a week out of genuine oatmeal, put it in a drawer to set, and then just slice a chunk out for his piece. A bit too authentic for someone like me who carries a flask and Cup-a-Soup....correction, carries Cup-a- Soup and gets husband to carry the flask.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby BobMcBob » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:41 pm

I need real sustenance when I'm out. A tuna and bean salad in a tupperware box is rather good. Tinned tuna, tinned mixed beans, cooked rice, various veg and leaves and some balsamic vinegar or salad dressing of your choice. Throw some nuts or seeds in for extra protein and there ya go. Takes about 10 mins to prepare and a damn sight tastier than a petrol station sandwich. Just don't forget to take a fork :)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby cheekykarma » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:18 am

You could make up egg fried rice a day or two before - and throw in any mix of stuff - little bit of chicken - bit evil like eating a chicken omlette! but so good ;)
onions - shrooms - etc - ham - maybe - put it in a tub with spinach leaf - wild rocket - whatever really - rice is great plus you can so mix it up with veg and salad - grapes - even sunflower seeds - almonds nuts - etc
egg fried rice - mix it up in a tub - add whatever you want for your fuel :)

tasty

thats a good cold meal in a tub option

or you get a jetboil - or stove thing - and just make a hot ready in a packet meal - which mostly are the work of the dark lord!
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:9   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:59 am

Take a fishing rod and a frying pan, or an amputation kit and a laissez-faire attitude to cannibalism...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Roeboe » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:59 pm

I buy a baguette or fresh bread, some mackerel or sardines in tomato sauce, olives and chocolate with nuts. Also carry some coffee, tea or minute soup for a quick brew if weather is ok.
Roeboe

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby PerthAlly » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:01 pm

I take tons of sandwiches with me. But scoff them once I'm parked up and ready to walk.

Actually on the hill I take raisins, sunflower seeds and bananas. Tea / coffee is a pain to carry. Plenty of water is a must. Also take dextrose tablets which are superb for a quick energy hit.

A Spanish pal swears by figs. He made me ingest them half way up Ben Vorlich. Personally I think they're disgusting :lol: . Come to think of it , him and his wife brought a regal picnic to a walk in Glen Etive. ie manchego, chorizo and posh crunchy bread. Very European! My cheese and pickle buttie looked out of place! :D
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby teaandpies » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:04 pm

I have 2 rules when it comes to food...

1) Take enough food for 2 men.

2) Useful not tastful.

I personally take sandwiches because they are lighter and take up less room in my bag no other reason. I make them myself. Chicken or tuna with vegetables which as it happens are my favourites.
On a very long walk I'll take a large amount of tuna pasta in a tub.

I try and avoid taking foods that make me thirsty, chocolate, salted nuts, sausage, bacon, crisps are examples.

I do take fruit, it's fairly low in energy but full of water. For easy to eat on the go/quick break high energy foods like cashews nuts, flatjacks, morning bars.
I tend to keep an energy drink and extra water or smoothie plus something to eat in the car if I have use of one for after the walk.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:38 pm

Trek energy bars, Trek protein flapjacks and 9 bars (that's the name of a seed bar, not the number I take!) For longer, tougher walks I'll also add energy drinks in warm weather and chocolate bars when it's cold, and sometimes a pro flapjack (high protein oat bar).

This nutrition system is probably more expensive than making your own meals, but cheaper than a packed lunch from a hotel or B and B. The main advantages are:

1. It's good for all weather conditions, especially on days when you don't want to be sitting around on a summit having a picnic. The Trek bar wrappers are, I find, particularly easy to open even with cold hands or when wearing gloves.

2. You can take all this stuff on a long holiday without worrying about it going off, or having to go to the shops to re-stock when you want to be on the hills.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby kaye.cantlay » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:35 pm

food on the go.....
Lots of snacks....high energy and low volume......frequently.
At least on every summit, and often in between.
Chocolate, flapjacks, dried fruit and nuts, apples and satsumas, hot cross buns with peanut butter and honey, bagels and cheese.
Nothing likely to give me food poisoning after being stored in the car and then a hot rucksack...
At least 2-3 litres of water in my camelback - though I never actually drink enough.
And for me - a mini flask of coffee - for the first summit.
Essential.
Unless you are walking one Munro with the purpose of having a leisurely picnic at the top - which I rarely do....
:D
kaye.cantlay
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:158   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:205
Wainwrights:214   Islands:60

Postby prog99 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:53 pm

3l of water :shock:

For the op. We make up our own lunch(for work days too so used to it) and then take lots of snacks depending on the day. Buying a pack of sarnies from the shops is just throwing money down the drain.
Bagels are fairly indestrucable and then we vary the fillings depending on circumstances. Honey & peanut butter or primula being very durable fillings for back packing and climbing trips.it doesnt take much time and you can control the fillings.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:32 pm

Lunch is usually 2 slices brown bread, peanut butter and rasp jam. Packet of crisps. Cup of coffee and a bar of chocolate or cereal bar (Stoats make nice ones)

If camping out then evening meal is usually - Koka Noodles (veg) with cut up fresh veg (spring onion, red pepper etc), cashew nuts and some veggie sausages in a noodle sauce sachet followed by another choc bar and coffee.

if "car camping" then it gets significantly more exotic and tasty and usually includes a few beers :lol:

Breakfast is always porridge with coconut milk powder and sometimes with raisins. Maybe followed by a coffee and snack bar if I can be bothered and can spare the water/gas
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Silverhill » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:58 pm

Nothing wrong with sandwiches, they work for me when out on the hills! I too prefer to have my main meal after the walk. For inspiration though, what about going to your local supermarket, find the section with the pasta/ couscous salads etc., have a look at what you fancy and then re-create it at home (or alternatively buy it).

Some ideas for variations on the sandwich theme, all easy to assemble:
- pancakes with smoked salmon and sour cream. Roll up and cut to the size of your lunch box
- pitta bread pockets with salad leaves, feta cheese, falafels and a dressing of your choice. Best to put the dressing on just before eating, to avoid sogginess.
- tortilla wraps with salad leaves, cooked chicken, some sweet corn and sauce of your choice. Wrap it like a pocket to avoid ingredients escaping.
- Dressing and sauces are transported in a little cling film pouch. Pierce the pouch with your pen knife and squeeze.

For my munro holidays I’m usually away from home for two weeks and the store cupboard/ fridge don’t fit in my backpack, so my sandwiches are rather simple (cheese and pickle). But if you start from home, the possibilities are endless! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion