walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corrour Sunset

Corrour Sunset

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:18 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Donich, Binnein an Fhìdhleir (or Stob Coire Creagach), Leum Uilleim, The Brack

Date walked: 05/07/2015

Time taken: 11.5 hours

Distance: 28.6 km

Ascent: 2514m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This weekend was supposed to be a trip to Corrour to nab a couple of Munro Tops at the top of Loch Ossian, add another 3 Munros to my tally and get my 200th Corbett - Leum Uilleim. I am always a little wary of relying on public transport, but there really isn't a great deal of options if you intend to start from Corrour :lol: The forecast was grim other than for the Friday night, but I reckoned we could manage it. Loch Ossian had been the site of our first backpacking weekend at Easter 13 and it was with some fondness I imagined re-visiting. My only misgiving about the route I'd come up with was that it did Sgor Iutharn from its flat rear, rather than the exciting looking scramble up the fine blade of the Lancet's Edge. Not very aesthetically pleasing, but efficient. For some reason I'd decided to drive to Crianlarich and get the train from there rather than from Glasgow or Dumbarton - in the end this turned out to be a godsend. I was tied up at work til 5pm so we had a leisurely drive up the road and parked in Crianlarich. We ate our pieces in the sun then wandered to the station to wait for the 20:20 train. This time I knew all about the train dividing and to be in the end carriage for Corrour :wink:

Planned route

leum+2tops.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We could have gone for a pint whilst waiting but decided not to. The train was quiet and we waited for the inspector to come along so we could buy our tickets. Various folk with rucksacks got on and off at Bridge of Orchy and Rannoch. Just when I'd started to think we were getting a free journey, the ticket lady came by. I mentioned we'd be returning on Sunday. "Let me check with the driver" she says "I think the trains are off due to the drivers' strike on Sunday". Having checked with the driver she thought it "quite likely" that there would be no trains on Sunday. Hmmm. Whilst buses replace the trains everywhere else, Corrour is on its own. Change of plan called for :shock: I needed to be back home on Sunday night to give my boy a run to the airport early Monday. I was meant to be working on Monday. And I hadn't packed food for Sunday evening or Monday morning. We decided that we'd do Luem Uilleim and just return on the Saturday lunchtime train and do some of Allison's Corbetts that would be repeats for me thereafter.

It was a glorious evening and we set off along from the station and onto the track that runs north, parallel to the rails for a wee way before heading off left for therise of An Diollaid. Marshy underfoot, I hoped that we would be able to find somewhere drier as we gained height to pitch the tent. As it was such a nice evening I had the fleeting thought of just climbing the hill that night and getting the first train at 08:30 on Saturday morning, but I reckoned that Allison would not be particularly receptive to that plan. It was a lot windier than had been forecast - whilst this was nice in that it kept the midges down, I wondered how blowy it would be higher up. As we climbed we began to gain views over to the Easains, the Grey Corries and the Mamores against a sky turning pink and orange. I pressed on, keen to get a good view of Loch Treig before the intensity of the sunset waned. Places for camping were few - the ground was either too sloping or - when one did find a more level spot - wet. We pressed on hoping that the flatter area on the map before Tom an Eoin would be suitable, and indeed we did find a useful spot. It did mean pegging into moss, and with the wind now quite fierce I wondered if that would hold. I put a fet extra guys on and found some rocks to assist, then sat and watched the sunset dying over the hills. For a time Loch Treig glowed deep red as if filled with cooling lava. It got cool as the sun disappeared and we turned in.

Sunny Crianlarich
ImageP1080718 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080719 by Al, on Flickr

William's Leap
ImageP1080720 by Al, on Flickr

Sunny Corrour
ImageP1080723 by Al, on Flickr

Start of the track
ImageP1080724 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080727 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080733 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080736 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080737 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080738 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080739 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080742 by Al, on Flickr

Loch Ossian
ImageP1080743 by Al, on Flickr

Loch Treig
ImageP1080746 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080747 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080749 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080750 by Al, on Flickr

Pitch
ImageP1080753 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080756 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080760 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080763 by Al, on Flickr

Last glow over Loch treig
ImageP1080770 by Al, on Flickr

A very stormy night followed, the tent being battered and pummelled with 50-60mph winds all night. As a result not much sleep was had. i kept thinking I could hear guylines being torn out and whipping against the tent. Around 2am the rain started and added to the maelstrom. Come the morning I was glad of the room in the porch for somewhere to cook the porridge, as there would have been no way of getting the burner going in the strong wind and rain. Fortunately the rain abated when it was time to get the tent down, but the clag was down and all the hills of the previous evening were swallowed up in the mist.

ImageP1080772 by Al, on Flickr

We set off, still following the ATV track as it climbed towards Beinn a'Bhric. We wandered to the summit, being caught in gusts of strong wind, then turned eastwards down to the bealach and up to Leum Uilleim. A large carin was there to celebrate 200 against. Then off down the narrow in places shoulder of Sron Lagain Ghaibh. As we decended through the clag, views to Loch Ossian and the lochans around it opened up, the water gleaming like silver. We made for the station buildings, meeting a path after a while. 10:40 - almost 2 hours to wait before the midday train. We were wet from the heavy rain and knew we'd cool down quickly, so on with a few layers and a brew. One of the women that run the youth hostel came to wait for her son coming off the next Glasgow train - we chatted and she spoke about the Station House restuarant closing down despite running at a profit as the estate wanted a cafe for hillwalkers, not fine dining. Apparently it might be opening up in the next few weeks as a cafe.

ImageP1080773 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn a'Bhric
ImageP1080774 by Al, on Flickr

21 to go!
ImageP1080776 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080777 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080780 by Al, on Flickr

Corrour
ImageP1080782 by Al, on Flickr

The train was busy with holiday makers. We sat and ate our sandwiches and tried to heat up. What to do now? There were several Corbetts around Tyndrum, and some more up by Arrochar that would fit the bill - having the car at Crianlarich was a great boon. Arrochar was decided upon - we'd do Stob Coire Creagach then try and do Ben Donich and The Brack on Sunday - 3 extra Corbetts for the girl - would bring her down to only 28 more than me :lol:

The weather was foul driving down to Butterbridge. Tops in clag and raining. Fortunately it was only a short hillwalk, though I remembered it as being craggy. We set off through the plantation, very wet underfoot. Height is gained quite speedily, cutting up gullies while the sheep look on. When we neared the summit the way became indistinct and it looked like we'd have to go up a steep crag - I didn't remember this very well. However, Allison found an easier route to our left and we made the top in driving rain. Trying to hide as much flesh as possible from the lashing raindrops we turned tail and beat a hasty retreat, as far as possible following the ascent route. It was dry by now, and only about 5pm - I was quite keen to try and get another hill - namely Beinn Luibhean - under the belt. However Allison wasn't, and to be honest both of us were tired from lack of sleep the previous night, plus the dry spell didn't look like it would remain that long. We scanned about for a place to pitch - one guy was pitched down by the old bridge - I spotted a nice pitch beside the ruined croft just at the NW foot of Luibhean and we made for that. Turned out to be nicely shielded from the road and beside the roaring Allt Beinn Ime that would mask the road noise. Only drawback was the midges (and slugs, as we'd discover in the morning). Anyway we pitched and enjoyed a tasty noodle feed before retreating behind the mesh of the interior for an undisturbed night's rest.

ImageP1080784 by Al, on Flickr

Through the plantation
ImageP1080785 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080786 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080787 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080789 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080790 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080791 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn an Lochain
ImageP1080792 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn Luibhean
ImageP1080793 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080794 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080796 by Al, on Flickr

Allt Beinn Ime
ImageP1080797 by Al, on Flickr

It rained heavily overnight. It took courage to eventually get up and face the hordes of midges we knew would be out there waiting on us. By the time we got away it was at least dry, although with very little wind. We drove to The Rest and Be Thankful and got ready to head up Donich. I had climbed The Brack from Ardgarten last time but the map suggested it should be easy enough to join the two hills, just following the boundary line from Donich to the Brack. Unusually for Argyll hills I was getting some views as we walked up the gentle slopes to Coire Culach. There then follows that crazy bit of collapsed mountain with crags and deep clefts before the final shoulder up to Donich is reached. We sat at the trig for a bit, looking down on Lochgoilhead and charting our route. Then back along to the beginning of the boundary line and views of The Brack - whatever next!. There are a few crags to be avoided, particularly just before descending to the Allt Coire Odhar, but this was easy enough with the visibility we had. Once down we had the task of going up again. From afar, the brack looked oppressively steep, but standing at the base it looked easy enough. We followed the stream uphill in sunshine - unfortunately the midges were also rejoicing in the improved weather and we had a bit of insect misery to endure, especially when they got to the back of my throat. Looking over to the left, Ben Arthur looked impressive, with its fin of rock standing proud amidst a field of boulders. Finally the job was done, we could see the trig point above us. As we touched down the rain began - great timing! We ate our sandwiches by the trig point, trying to face into the breeze to minimise the midge infestation. The it was back down the way we'd come up, making for the track down to the forest of Glen Croe. The initial path is very boggy, marked with white painted poles, but once in the trees an excellent track is reached and the going was straightforward back up to the start of the track. The last kilometre or so was walked in pouring rain and we were glad to reach the shelter of the car.

Rest & Be Thankful
ImageP1080798 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080800 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080801 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080802 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080803 by Al, on Flickr

Wee scrambly bit
ImageP1080804 by Al, on Flickr

Winnie-the-Pooh?
ImageP1080805 by Al, on Flickr

Towards the summit Ben Donich
ImageP1080806 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080807 by Al, on Flickr

Lochgoilhead
ImageP1080808 by Al, on Flickr

The Brack (on Left)
ImageP1080811 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080813 by Al, on Flickr

Ben Arthur
ImageP1080815 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080816 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn Chorranach, Ime, Arthur
ImageP1080819 by Al, on Flickr

Descent off Donich
ImageP1080821 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080822 by Al, on Flickr

Summit Brack
ImageP1080825 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080827 by Al, on Flickr

Descent
ImageP1080828 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1080829 by Al, on Flickr

brack_doni.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Not quite the weekend we had planned, but enjoyable enough. Now I just have to find time to go back and get the Tops we missed out on up by Loch Ossian :lol:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Corrour Sunset

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:46 am

Spectacular skies at Corrour. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland