walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

2 & 1 do 2 & 1

2 & 1 do 2 & 1

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:23 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Dearg (Corrour), Sgòr Gaibhre

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Pharlagain

Date walked: 29/06/2015

Time taken: 7.05 hours

Distance: 25.71 km

Ascent: 1243m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I decided a while back that I would incorporate these two Munros from Loch Rannoch as I am certain I want to do the Alder Munros from Dalwhinnie or Laggan. Doing them this way meant I got to add on a cheeky Corbett and one I’d not be too keen to be going back for on its own. The weather was supposed to be better later in the day so I had a longer lie in and aimed to be walking by 11am.
The drive along Loch Rannoch took ages, getting stuck behind tractors and delivery Lorries. Just after passing the Eastern end of Loch Rannoch I saw an Osprey fishing in the river Gaur, it never actually took anything but it swooped a few times but pulled out just before it reached the water, it followed the River Gaur West but my photos do not do the situation justice as my zoom is crap.

photo 1.JPG
Osprey fishing

photo 2.JPG
Osprey fishing

Anyway I continued along and passed the Gaur power station till I reached the parking spot for the Road to the Isles. 2 (dogs) and 1 (human) then set off to summit 2 (Munros) and 1 (Corbett).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

photo 1.1.JPG
The start of the road to the Isles, a building site look to it just now

The road was all hard core now, obviously to accommodate the heavy machinery that is being used for the hydro schemes. I personally hate this hardcore and find it terribly uncomfortable to walk on, not mentioning the scars it causes to the scenery, I presume the old Road to the Isles was a muddy land rover track that blended into the terrain a lot better....Nevertheless I made quick time along the hardcore and soon came to the section where the workies were erm....working. I also said hello to two estate workers whom were mending deer fences.

photo 2.1.JPG
Rannoch Station from the track

photo 5.JPG
Coming to point where I broke off the track, Sron Leachd a Chaorainn left, Beinn Pharlagain Right

I decided to go for Carn Dearg first and took to the shoulder to gain Sron Leachd a Chaorainn. I would have been better staying on the road to the Isles for a bit longer and cutting up to Sron Leachd a Caorainn from the West as my route was boggy and wet. My summer boots have really had it now and leak all the time so this made my feet very wet. We soon made the top and followed the path that we came across all the way along the ridge. The clag was down and we could only see around twenty feet so the dogs were told to stay in close. This doesn’t mean they always stay in close but they are good for coming back should they push their luck too far, my main worry is losing them in the mist should they flush a deer, hare or rabbit and decide it’s worth a chase. The clag stayed with us all the way along the ridge till Meall nam Fiadh where the views to the West started opening up to Blackwater reservoir and onward to Carn Dearg summit.

photo 3.1.JPG
Views opening up to Blackwater Reservoir

photo 4.1.JPG
Mist coming and going, dogs returning after a foray

photo 5.1.JPG
Leum Uilleim

photo 1.2.JPG
Mist down this time, another call back for the dogs, summit cairn just in the distance

It wasn’t far now so we pushed on as I was hungry now. We soon made the huge summit cairn and sat out of the rain for a piece.

photo 2.2.JPG
Summit Carn Dearg

On finishing the views started opening up to Sgor Gaibhre and the route over looked simple.

photo 3.2.JPG
Mist clearing revealing Sgor Gaibhre and route over

photo 5.2.JPG
The Corbett Beinn Pharlagain from Carn Dearg

Just as we were about to leave a couple from Glasgow joined me, we had a chat, they had been staying in the Ossian hostel and highly recommended it. We said cheerio and continued over to the next Munro.

photo 4.2.JPG
View to Eastern end Loch Ossian from slopes of Carn Dearg

photo 2.3.JPG
Route over to Sgor Gaibhre

At the low point between the two the ground was again really boggy and we were now starting to be bothered by Golden Plovers, their sharp calls were really irritating the dogs, they were going bananas chasing them about, they really are fast, nimble birds.

photo 3.3.JPG
The boggy low point between the two Munros

We reached the summit and had another wee rest, I decided not to bother with the Munro top and soon continued along towards the Corbett Beinn Pharlagain.

photo 4.3.JPG
Summit Sgor Gaibhre

The Plovers started their calling again and the dogs were charging about, it was funny to see but I have to admit the calling was really starting to grind on me, so sharp.

photo 5.3.JPG
The route ahead to Beinn Pharlagain

photo 2.4.JPG
Looking over to the long ridge of Carn Dearg

photo 1.4.JPG
Looking to Ben Alder Bothy

I knew the actual summit was called Meall nam Meoig and it was slightly West of two small lochs, once I reached the first one we skirted to the West of it and made the steep grassy ascent up to the true summit, the other loch was East of the summit but I had no need to go to that loch.

photo 3.4.JPG
Summit Beinn Pharlagain - Meall na Meoig

We had a rest and took some pictures as most of Ben Alder was starting to clear and also over to Glencoe and Blackwater Reservoir too. I could also see over to Leum Uilleim which from this angle did not look nearly as dramatic.

photo 4.4.JPG
Schiehallion cone from Summit Meall na Meoig

We soon pushed off and I made my way down off the Western side of Beinn Pharlagain to meet the hardcore track at a hydro dam below Sron Leachd a Chaorainn on the Allt Eigheach. From here I followed the Road to the Isles all the way back to the car, stopping to speak to the numerous workies that were really quite friendly, they were probably pleased to see other humans and pleased to speak to the dogs. One young guy spoke for a while, he revealed that he is actually an apprentice mechanic but he was roped into working on this scheme as he gets lots more money to drive the caterpillar truck up and down the tracks distributing hardcore, unreal that!!
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: 2 & 1 do 2 & 1

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:37 pm

Good timing, I've been looking at this route myself so it was good to read your report.........looks a bit on the damp side.

It's a few years since I have been on the track from Rannoch to Corrour, I didn't realise there was a hydro scheme on the go and the track definitely looks different now.

With all the work going on is it still possible to park the car by the side of the road where the track leaves it rather than having to go up to the station??
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:40 pm

Nice one Matt, you saw more than me :lol: Made me go back and check my pics, I didn't take many..it was beginning of December temperatures starting to drop and I recall reaching the first summit and my feet were bloody freezing, a sign that the winter boots with their extra insulation would soon be out. Missed a bridge on the way in too, but river was low, just as well it wasn't needed on the way out as the river was swollen after a day of rain.

The track does look a bit horrible now, it was pretty good before without the hardcore chippings but needs must I guess.

Congrats on reaching 150 :clap: :clap: :clap:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Silverhill » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:33 pm

Hm, yes I remember much wetness being involved with these two. Having seen mist for the best part of the day, that boggy bealach was a bit of a highlight. :shock: It was great fun finding a way through the maze. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby martin.h » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:56 am

Hi Matt, another good 'un and another route idea for us next year, looks a bit on the soggy side tho'.
Congratulations on the 150 and keep sneaking the Corbetts in, its good how the tally grows when you take them by surprise :lol:
Cheers,
M.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:19 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Good timing, I've been looking at this route myself so it was good to read your report.........looks a bit on the damp side.

It's a few years since I have been on the track from Rannoch to Corrour, I didn't realise there was a hydro scheme on the go and the track definitely looks different now.

With all the work going on is it still possible to park the car by the side of the road where the track leaves it rather than having to go up to the station??

Aye Gordie the parking area is just opposite where the track starts so no issues there. It was slightly damp, had better but then been on worse, decent boots and you'll be fine :thumbup:

spiderwebb wrote:Nice one Matt, you saw more than me :lol: Made me go back and check my pics, I didn't take many..it was beginning of December temperatures starting to drop and I recall reaching the first summit and my feet were bloody freezing, a sign that the winter boots with their extra insulation would soon be out. Missed a bridge on the way in too, but river was low, just as well it wasn't needed on the way out as the river was swollen after a day of rain.

The track does look a bit horrible now, it was pretty good before without the hardcore chippings but needs must I guess.

Congrats on reaching 150 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cheers Dave, actually made 150 on the In Pin on Skye on Friday, report still to come :D

Silverhill wrote:Hm, yes I remember much wetness being involved with these two. Having seen mist for the best part of the day, that boggy bealach was a bit of a highlight. :shock: It was great fun finding a way through the maze. :D

It's real rough country, maybe an insight into what to expect for Alder etc :shock:

martin.h wrote:Hi Matt, another good 'un and another route idea for us next year, looks a bit on the soggy side tho'.
Congratulations on the 150 and keep sneaking the Corbetts in, its good how the tally grows when you take them by surprise :lol:
Cheers,
M.

Aye trying to sneak in as many Corbetts as poss, it's a long way to go back for a solitary hill :shock:
Cheers Marts, keep me posted on your NW trip
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:23 pm

Good timing, we were planning a trip in this direction too, but with a backpacking overnighter before going north to Ben na Lap and coming home on the train, so good to see the terrain, even if it is not quite the romantic 'Road to the Isles' I'd imagined.

Good to know the spaniels are in great form :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby simon-b » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:04 pm

Good stuff. It looks a good route, and you got the bonus Corbett. I was on the 2 Munros the same day, walking from Corrour. The Glaswegian couple past me as I was coming down from Carn Dearg towards Sgor Gaibhre (they were going round the other way) so you must have been just behind me on that section. I met them again at the station and we all got the 18:25 train south.

Well done, catching the osprey on camera.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:53 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Good timing, we were planning a trip in this direction too, but with a backpacking overnighter before going north to Ben na Lap and coming home on the train, so good to see the terrain, even if it is not quite the romantic 'Road to the Isles' I'd imagined.

Good to know the spaniels are in great form :lol: :lol:

Haha, I too was expecting something different for the 'Road to the Isles' can't find the exact word to describe my expectations but I was slightly disappointed. That sounds like a great wee trip, look forward to reading that :D
Aye still daft as brushes that two :lol:

simon-b wrote:Good stuff. It looks a good route, and you got the bonus Corbett. I was on the 2 Munros the same day, walking from Corrour. The Glaswegian couple past me as I was coming down from Carn Dearg towards Sgor Gaibhre (they were going round the other way) so you must have been just behind me on that section. I met them again at the station and we all got the 18:25 train south.

Well done, catching the osprey on camera.

Ah pity I missed you Simon, sounds like you had a successful trip though :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:08 pm

That was quite a walk you and the mutts did. Planning these this summer but from the easier route via Scotrail! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:02 pm

Enjoyed that Matt, thanks :clap: :clap:

Interesting route, personally the train trip to Corrour made the day for me and as we proved you can get all 3 Munro's easily before the last train heads south :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland