walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

North Fife 3 Marilyns and a bonus in Perth

North Fife 3 Marilyns and a bonus in Perth

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:07 pm

Route description: Norman's Law, from Luthrie

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cairnie Hill, Mount Hill, Norman's Law

Date walked: 18/02/2013

Time taken: 2.9 hours

Distance: 9.78 km

Ascent: 488m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Forecast was always to be good for today, after a weekend of painting in the house I needed to get out there and get some fresh air. Set off early from Carnoustie to beat the rush hour traffic into Dundee headed over the Tay Bridge and targeted Normans Law as my first for the day, parked at a wee spot adjacent to the Church at the top of the hill just outside Luthrie and started my walk at 0800hrs. Bright and hazy sun with a hard frost greeted me as I climbed over the gate to the first field.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
The parking area has just about room for two cars, maybe not a good choice on a Sunday or a holiday, but fine for retired guy on a Monday. Climb the gate and head up the field, cross over the dyke at the top as there are plenty of places to cross with the fencing already down. Cross back to the upper field later on.
2.JPG
Looking back at the sunrise, a bit hazy but apart from that superb walking conditions.
3.JPG
Follow the stone dyke then cross over to the adjoining field on the right.
4.JPG
Cross this field diagonally (on the return journey had some cows in it, no problems. There is a gate at the bottom of the field with a track, head left up the track.
5.JPG
Track ice and frost beginning to melt.
6.JPG
Nice view looking back.
7.JPG
Keep walking in the direction of the summit and soon you will be faced with some trees blocking your way, head to the right of the trees and you will find a new gate at the bottom of the final climb to the summit.
8.JPG
First sign of the Trig point at the summit along with cairn and directional plate on a plinth.
9.JPG
Trig point and a view towards the River Tay and Dundee. Time to top 50mins
10.JPG
Back to the start the same way total time 1h 30mins

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

11.JPG
Parking area at side of narrow road adjacent to right of way track signposted to Mount Hill. Start time 0950hrs. Good track, head up with farm on your Right at the top there is a y junction take the left fork, it has a directional sign as well, you cannot go wrong.
12.JPG
Tower in the distance, farmer ploughed the field already.
13.JPG
Next track your on gives nice walking with a central grassed area giving the soft option. Pass a wooden gate with an access gate on the side for pedestrians, remember to close the gate.
14.JPG
You soon come to a second gate, here you turn right up a muddier track, also signposted.
15.JPG
Head on up this track which has a dogleg to the right at the top, continue climbing and take a right hand turn and soon you will be able to see the tower on your left.
16.JPG
Your view of the tower.
17.JPG
Trig point at the summit, not a great day for pictures at the top too hazy.
18.JPG
The tower at the summit. It only took 20mins to the top, and 35mins in total to get back to the car. I feel number 3 coming on, bring on Cairny Hill.
19.JPG
Memorial plaque on the tower, above the entrance door.

20.JPG
Parking spot B937 just after a bridge and adjacent to the railway on the left and also near a telephone mast. From here I walked back to the track on the opposite side of the road.
21.JPG
Track on other side of the road
22.JPG
The track enters a field, bouble back on yourself there is a directional sign on a post. Follow the line of the trees until you find a gate, very boggy at this point. Head up diagonally up the field and find a way through a small tree plantation. Through another field where you can see the top. Climb through the goarse bushes near the summit and find the summit stone near a large tree. Sorry ran out of pictures showing summit stone etc. I forgot the downloaded maps must count towards your total. Anyway great morning and headed off to do Moncrieff Hill just ouside Perth and got back to Carnoustie by 1330hrs
[attachment=0]
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: North Fife 3 Marilyns and a bonus in Perth

Postby gyles » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:59 pm

Looked to be a great day out.

Love those crisp, frosty mornings.
gyles

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:2

Postby gmr82 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Excellent 4-in-a-day Rodmiester, I was looking at the North Fife Marilyns 2 weekends ago as it was one of the few forecasts without fog! Looks like you had the same weather today. The colour of the sun on the frosty ground looks absolutely lovely in those early morning shots
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:17 pm

gyles wrote:Looked to be a great day out.

Love those crisp, frosty mornings.

Hi gyles, it was a brilliant morning, having not been out for a while it felt even better. A most enjoyable time was had, only down side was the haze for on the top views.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:23 pm

gmr82 wrote:Excellent 4-in-a-day Rodmiester, I was looking at the North Fife Marilyns 2 weekends ago as it was one of the few forecasts without fog! Looks like you had the same weather today. The colour of the sun on the frosty ground looks absolutely lovely in those early morning shots

Hi gmr82, bare that in mind when your planning as and when you do these, if you get an early start, you might be able to do more in the afternoon. I did not really appreciate how easy Mount Hill would be, and was allowing 1h30m, I did it 35mins, ok I walk reasonably fast, being on my own, you go your own speed and Cairnie Hill was also very short, no distinct cairn or trig point, just a big rock and a pile of overgrown rocks. Good luck when you do them, a frosty day would be good, as some bits are muddy.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:06 pm

I like the look of the first two.

Angus, Perthshire, Fife, I'm tired just reading these reports :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Gordie12 wrote:I like the look of the first two.

Angus, Perthshire, Fife, I'm tired just reading these reports :lol: :lol:

No more Angus for a while, wait for something completely different next week, as I do not wish to bore you any more :lol: :lol: Yep, the first two were good, enjoyed them, no access problems and both had easy parking available.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:07 am

RTC wrote:I was up Norman's Law two weeks ago as a 15 minute detour from the Fife Coastal path between Newburgh and Newport. It was a good way to do it as it was reached after over an hour of rather dispiriting walking. - The path had gone inland in a loop back towards Newburgh for a bit with the Tay totally out of sight. Emerging from the trees and seeing the Tay from just below Norman's Law was a wonderful sight. I really enjoyed the Norman's Law photos.
Like you I did 3 Fife Marilyns in February a few years ago, combining Mount Hill and Cairnie Hill with Largo Law.

Hi RTC, yes Norman's Law was certainly the pick of the four hills, really enjoyed it, you mention Largo Law, I remember doing the LL Hill race many many years ago, when I was reasonably fit, it started at Lower Largo and up the road to the West of LL then went off road to the East followed by the steep climb, I always remember that race as I had a hard time getting into my running rhythm when running on the road down hill after the jolting of all the effort coming off the hill :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:10 am

Nice one Rod, some nice frosty photos there and blue sky as well. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby hills » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:42 pm

Nice report RM, nice day as well. I enjoyed Mount and Cairnie Hill as well, good short walks, yet to do Normans Law, as its a well known coo hotspot, but have been looking at a route from the North which might avoid. That monument on Mount Hill is something else, just shows how much money rich people threw at follies back in the day..
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:37 pm

hills wrote:Nice report RM, nice day as well. I enjoyed Mount and Cairnie Hill as well, good short walks, yet to do Normans Law, as its a well known coo hotspot, but have been looking at a route from the North which might avoid. That monument on Mount Hill is something else, just shows how much money rich people threw at follies back in the day..
IMG_3153.JPG
Coo hot spot, not that many though, and nae bother.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby redvark » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:42 am

Did Mount Hill and Cairnie Hill on Saturday. Mount Hill was a nice easy stroll, except for the abundance of flies. The Cairnie Hill route is obviously one better suited for winter, it was a pig of a route, waist high vegetation and once in the trees I felt about as welcome as an orc in Fangorn Forest ((to use a Tolkeinesque reference), about the only saving grace was the nice views over Lindores Loch on the way down !!
redvark
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:71
Wainwrights:90   Islands:17

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:40 am

redvark wrote:Did Mount Hill and Cairnie Hill on Saturday. Mount Hill was a nice easy stroll, except for the abundance of flies. The Cairnie Hill route is obviously one better suited for winter, it was a pig of a route, waist high vegetation and once in the trees I felt about as welcome as an orc in Fangorn Forest ((to use a Tolkeinesque reference), about the only saving grace was the nice views over Lindores Loch on the way down !!

Agreed, Cairnie Hill better left for a dry cold frosty morning, and as you say good views from the summit.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:46 pm

Sgurr wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:
redvark wrote:Did Mount Hill and Cairnie Hill on Saturday. Mount Hill was a nice easy stroll, except for the abundance of flies. The Cairnie Hill route is obviously one better suited for winter, it was a pig of a route, waist high vegetation and once in the trees I felt about as welcome as an orc in Fangorn Forest ((to use a Tolkeinesque reference), about the only saving grace was the nice views over Lindores Loch on the way down !!

Agreed, Cairnie Hill better left for a dry cold frosty morning, and as you say good views from the summit.

Much more sensible than my attempt (failed) to do all the Fife Marilyns in a day. Now I am 6 years older, it is probably totally unrealistic, but I can still dream

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5891

Hi Sgurr, that would have been some effort, nine Marilyns in a day :) Do you know if anybody has attempted and collected the lot? Thank's for letting me see your report, it's given me some ideas now :wink: Love your photo coming off the East Lomond summit, not nice in such conditions.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Sgurr » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:02 am

I think it's actually eight, as the Bishop is technically in KInross. No, I don't know if anyone has done them. There's a challenge for you Rodmeister....you might even get TROTM, though I doubt if the judges ever come down to these low elevations. I did think that given less ferocious winds and a less dodgy car we could have picked up the others. There is a very direct way up Dumyat from the "back", Largo Law is simple and Dumglow equally has a short version.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland