walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corrour to Rannoch via 6 Munros and a Corbett

Corrour to Rannoch via 6 Munros and a Corbett

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue May 04, 2010 9:12 pm

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Beag (Alder), Beinn Èibhinn, Càrn Dearg (Corrour), Càrn Dearg (Loch Pattack), Geal-chàrn (Alder), Sgòr Gaibhre

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Pharlagain

Date walked: 02/05/2010

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It wasn’t a good start to the trip – trapped in the hostel on Bridge of Orchy station with a load of railway buffs for over an hour. :roll: The train had broken down and we were invited in for a cup of tea while we waited which was nice. I guess us outdoor types must seem boring when we get going as well. We arrived in Corrour at about 4.30 and it all looked a bit grey and drizzly.
loch ossian.jpg
But we walked along to the other end of Loch Ossian before pitching the tent by the river just beyond the lodge.

After soup, noodles, cake and a game of Scrabble we turned in. It was still a bit grey the next morning – Katie seemed reluctant to get out of her sleeping bag
katie.jpg
but it’s amazing what a cup of tea can do!
katie2.jpg
We set off at about 8am, crossed the bridge and walked upstream to cross the Allt Feith a’ Mheallain before tackling the grassy slopes of Creagan na Craoibhe.
climbing beinn eibhinn.jpg
Passing over Meall Glas Choire the ground became rocky as we made our way to the summit of Beinn Eibhinn. There was quite a lot of snow in the north-facing corrie and the way ahead to Aonach Beag was clear,
aonoch beag.jpg
Aonach Beag
down steeply and then up again to the summit. Geal Charn did not look that far away
geal charn.jpg
and we were soon at the cairn having a bite to eat.
summit cairn geal charn.jpg
We decided to head for Carn Dearg via the Diollaid a’Chairn but had to think again. There were a lot of cornices all round the corries and we decided not to risk it.
cornices.jpg
So we walked round the corrie to Sron Gharbh and descended the ridge towards An Lairig before heading east to gain the ridge of Carn Dearg. After lunch at the top
summit carn dearg.jpg
ben alder.jpg
we dropped down towards Loch an Sgoir
lochan an sgoir.jpg
before descending to path and walking back to the tent via Bealach Dubh. It seemed an awfully long way and it was quite boggy after the bealach. But we eventually arrived back at the tent after about nine and half hours.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was a cold night and we had a bit of a blizzard as we set off for Sgor Choinnich early the next morning so not many photos for this bit. However the clouds did clear after about an hour and it was sunny if not very warm for the rest of the day. We contoured round Sgor Choinnich (well, we were carrying the camping gear!) and headed for Sgor Gaibhre
sgor gaibhre.jpg
schiehallion.jpg
Then there was another spot of cheating as we dumped our rucksacks and went across to Carn Dearg
carn dearg from sgor gaibhre.jpg
summit carn dearg.jpg
and back. By this time there were brilliant views all round of the Mamores, the Grey Corries, the ridge we had walked along the previous day, Schiehallion etc etc.
blackwater reservoir.jpg
schiehallion.jpg
grey corries and mamores.jpg
sgor gaibhre2.jpg
Having collected our baggage we went south to bag the Corbett, Meall na Meoig.

At this point I started to have the tea and scones fantasy. Reckoning that we would be in Rannoch in plenty of the time for the train I proposed going to the hotel to while away an hour or so over a pot of tea and some cakes. The thought sustained me through the next hour and a half and the final plod down the road to Rannoch. And the hotel was closed. And so were the tearooms on the station. And the toilets. We had very little water left and so, determined to have a cup of tea, I stalked off in search of some water. A very nice lady in a car parked near the station filled one of our pans with water from her flask and we soon had the stove on and were dipping our last teabag in boiling water.
brewing up at rannoch.jpg
Fortunately the train was on time and we rounded off a great weekend with fish and chips in Tyndrum.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sorry, the order of the photos is wrong but I have tried to sort it out without success. Dunno what is going on. :? But you get the general idea of what we did I hope.
Attachments
summit carn dearg 2.jpg
lochan an bealaich.jpg
carn dearg.jpg
beinn eibhinn summit.jpg
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Corrour to Rannoch via 6 Munros and a Corbett

Postby Graeme D » Tue May 04, 2010 9:54 pm

Great stuff, and Schiehallion from a perfect angle... 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby mountain coward » Wed May 05, 2010 12:30 am

Some couple of days walking that - well done to the young lassie! I can't believe the amount of snow near the Diollaid ridge! in May!! :o

I'd have been gutted if I'd walked all that way and found the tea room shut - that kind of thing really ruins my day as I'm a huge fan of cakies and suchlike at the end of the day! :D

Great pics of the Beinn Eibhinn ridge anyway and thanks for those as I have it to do yet. Think we're gonna tackle it from the Tea Room B&B (if they're still doing B&B - anyone know?), cycle down Loch Ossian, do the ridge and probably cycle back down the other side of the loch for a change in scenery.
mountain coward

Postby Paul Webster » Wed May 05, 2010 8:45 am

Great report. I took a pic of Schiehallion a couple of weeks back from Sgor Gaibhre that is almost exactly the same :D

mountain coward wrote:Think we're gonna tackle it from the Tea Room B&B

At Corrour station? It closed down last year MC - the tea-room mentioned in the report is at Rannoch Station.

Corrour Station has been turned into an extra hostel by the SYHA just last week but I think it is doing food.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Am Bodach » Mon May 17, 2010 12:46 pm

Try it from Laggan. 9.25 hours -17 miles but good approach -cyclable for 3.5 miles
Worst part is leaving the path and heading for Sron Fhuarain (?) as endeless burns and peat hags to cross
Am Bodach
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:78   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:11   Islands:15

Postby davetherave » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:39 pm

Ahhh, brings back fond memories of a recent trip we had. Still struggling with my knee joints, and a calf strain. :lol:

The best part had to be the ridge above the Culra Bothy.... Just a pitty we saw nothing due to the typical Scottish weather. :lol:
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland