walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Getting High - Beinn Bhreac Summit Camp!

Getting High - Beinn Bhreac Summit Camp!

Postby dooterbang » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 08/07/2015

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 700m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Back in April I walked all of the 8 Luss Grahams over 2 outings, one was a double on Tullich Hill & Beinn Bhreac: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=51012
Standing on the summit of Beinn Bhreac, back then, I promised myself I'd be back for a summit camp one night.

So on Wednesday 8th of July at 6pm I decided I'd take advantage of a weather window and summit camp on Beinn Bhreac. It was a mad rush to get gear ready but I was out the door for 6.30pm, walking for 7.30pm :) The sun was out but a strong wind kept me cool, and it meant no midges.

Follow the tree line...

When reaching the end of the tree line simply head straight up in a NE direction...

The ground was wet undefoot, the going was pretty tough as it was pathless, I felt unfit! I didn't stop till I reached the summit, It had taken me 1hr 15mins. It was very windy on the summit, also a tad cold, so on with the down jacket. I wanted to camp on a little ledge near the summit, which I eventually I managed :)

Having pitched the tent it was now time to enjoy the sunset - some serious posing going on here :lol:

Absolutely stunning - the sun dropping down behind Ben Arthur (The Cobbler) simply breathtaking 8)

Feeling very happy with the evening so far I then returned to my tent and got cosy. I set my alarm for 4am and dozed off around midnight, I'd thankfully stopped ruminating about mutant sheep attacking me and my tent!

Slept on and off but felt fine. It was light outside, and cold...I packed up my gear and waited for the 4.44am sunrise.

Bang on time the sun slowly started revealing itself NE of Ben Lomond - It was awesome :D 8)

At 5.30am I managed to drag myself away and headed back down the wet SW face of Beinn Bhreac. It was a fantastic feeling being out all alone at such an early hour. Got back to the car at 6.15am and sped down the beautiful Glen Douglas, It wasn't long before I was immersed in the nauseating metropolis of the big city! I got home at 7am, plenty time for a shower, breakfast and a change of clothing before leaving for my place of work :?

I fully recommend a midweek special for all - a great way to break up the week 8)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Getting High - Beinn Bhreac Summit Camp!

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:35 pm

Grand photos

Weather has been so pish poor this Summer I ain't managed a summit camp with a view yet ! :roll:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby malky_c » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:23 pm

Not fair - that's 2 good walks you've had up there :wink: . Some nice sunrise photos, and great to fit it in midweek without having to take time off :) . Had thought about something similar on Thursday night, but was too lazy to organise it :?
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby dooterbang » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:59 pm

malky_c wrote:Not fair - that's 2 good walks you've had up there :wink: . Some nice sunrise photos, and great to fit it in midweek without having to take time off :) . Had thought about something similar on Thursday night, but was too lazy to organise it :?
Not like you being lazy...! When reading your Tuesday night report I was wondering if you'd be camping on these midweek mini treks :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby kev_russ » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:15 pm

Braw 8) Your no shy o a wee pose eh :wink:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:39 pm

You're never going to get through these hills if you keep doing repeats :lol: :wink:

Cracking idea, doots - well worth it for the results ! Like you, am becoming a bit of a fair weather walker :shock: fed up in the past of seeing little or nothing but getting itchy feet 8)

As kev-russ notes above, did look a wee bit like a good excuse to pose :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby simon-b » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:57 pm

A great idea and some amazing pictures.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby railton22 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:12 pm

What a place to camp! Wow! As for the sunset piccies....just stunning. Looks like an awesome walk/camp. On my to-do list but not sure about the camping bit :wink:
railton22
Mountaineer

Munros:186   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:10   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:41 am

Amazing. I'd say, a repeat worth a couple of new summits :D Lucky you to be able to pick a midweek day with a good weather window. We have just experienced squelchy moss, wet moorland, bog, peat hags, all sprinkled with showers - a lovely Sunday on Scottish hills :lol:

Weather has been so depressing... We fell behind with our Munro count, picking lower hills instead. 18 Corbetts so far this year ain't bad, but I'll never complete Munros at this pace!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Silverhill » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:51 pm

What a great spot to pitch a tent! 8) You lucky so and so to get such a great sunset and sunrise!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland