walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tramping on Beinn a' Ghlo

Tramping on Beinn a' Ghlo

Postby Bean » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:38 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Ghlò

Munros included on this walk: Bràigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain, Càrn Liath (Beinn a' Ghlò), Càrn nan Gabhar

Date walked: 18/06/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 1333m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Alistair and I are getting into our Munro's, currently at 27, by the end of this week (our June holiday) we at least hope to have done over 30. Before we got our chart this year, I would have sworn I had done more than this, I feel like we are always in the hills, but these things have a way of deceiving you.
We decided on Beinn a' Ghlo as our big day. A few seasoned hill walkers having breakfast at the B&B that morming confirmed this was a good one. According to the forecast it was right on the edge of potential good weather zone, so we thought we would risk it.

image001.png
The route

DSC_0027.JPG
Off we go.......

From the carpark a nice easy road leads up the glen. As we walked the lapwings kept us company, their distinctive calls ever present and flying boldly to distract us from their young.

Lapwing in flight, 19Jun15, Beinn a'Ghol.JPG
Lapwing in flight

Along the path which seemed to be teeming with life we also happened across a family of Wheatears, three young, and the parents (who seemed to be of similar size!) working hard to ensure they were of more interest than their fluffy bundles.

Wheater Juvenile, 19Jun15, Beinn a'Ghol.JPG
A young wheatear........not quite sure who we are

Wheater, 19Jun15, Beinn a'Ghol (2).JPG
An adult Wheatear standing guard

At an old shed we left the dirt track and continued through a field and open heathland towards Carn Liath which stood before us, the wide scar of the path very visible.

DSC_0103.JPG
The path up to Carn Liath - doesn't look too bad?

The hike up Carn Liath was a lot longer than it looked from the bottom, taking a good hour and a half as the book suggested. It felt like the up hill 'tramp' was never going to end and I was beginning to regret ever starting out, especially after three Munros the day before.

IMG_0739.JPG
Hard work

This is definitely the worst part of the walk, once up there it was fantastic!

IMG_0748.JPG
The first summit - finally

IMG_0749.JPG
Alistair at the top of Carn Liath

From the top we could see the long ridge winding out across to the summit of Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain.

IMG_0750.JPG
Looking out at our way over the ridge

IMG_0756.JPG
Zig zags of the ridge seen well here

IMG_0763.JPG
Coming up on the other side

From the top of Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain.

IMG_0766.JPG
A good view of the Carn nan Gabhar in the distance

The path lead along and down towards a col connecting the last summit of the day.

IMG_0769.JPG
Walking from the second summit to the col

IMG_0772.JPG
Last of the winter snow bank to cross before descending down into the col, we cut out steps to make it easier.

After a rest in the col we prepared ourselves for another burst of energy to climb up and reach the last and highest summit - Carn nan Gabhar. It was a rocky place and hard going underfoot but well worth it for the views. It would be easy to miss the summit up here in cloud as you come to a large cairn, then a trig point neither of which is the summit, that is a further on.

DSC_0106.JPG
Nice view from the remains of the ancient summit of Carn nan Gabhar.

IMG_0774.JPG
Sitting on the rocks admiring the view from the summit plateau of Carn nan Gabhar

From here we walked directly back and followed the line of the ridge right to the end. Another way down would be back down to the col, but we decided that this would be a more interesting way off. I was a bit worried about what the down path would be like, as we had seen it from the earlier Munros and it looked very wide but also steep. I felt nervous as we nearer the end of the ridge but at this point we came across the obvious path which was not too steep and easy even for me.

IMG_0784.JPG
View down the ridge

IMG_0785.JPG
Heading off down the ridge.....

IMG_0792.JPG
The path down looking less scary now

After a long and great day up high we were able to look back impressed at where we had just descended from. The long walk out was initially on a rough track which then finally joined the original landrover track.

IMG_0802.JPG
Walking out

IMG_0808.JPG

It was a perfect evening, the sun was warm and the evening light beautiful as we walked out of the glen. As before there was lots of other life out enjoying it too.

Sheep, 19Jun15, Beinn a'Ghol.JPG
Sheep enjoying the evening

Skylark, 19Jun15, Beinn a'Ghol.JPG
A well camouflaged sky lark

DSC_0124.JPG
Looking back down the path towards stormy skies, from the safety of the warm evening sun
Bean
Wanderer

Munros:69   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:10   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland