walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn an t-Sidhein - one of these disastrous days!

Beinn an t-Sidhein - one of these disastrous days!

Postby rob munbett » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:56 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn an t-Sidhein

Date walked: 09/07/2015

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I hadn't been out for some months so I was looking forward to a day on the hills. However, things started badly when I stopped for a quick rest from driving and a cuppa on the shores of Loch Lubnaig to discover that I'd left all my maps at home. This put me in a bit of a mood but I remembered reading about a 'blue route' up Beinn ant-Sidhein from Strathyre that I could manage without OS assistance. Not what I wanted to do but at least it was something. I parked in Strathyre and walked for a short distance north up the road to cross the river on the left on a minor road to the school. Just at the bend was the blue marker showing a path up through the woods. I continued to follow these posts until I was out on the open hillside looking down on Loch Lubnaig.
P1020800.JPG
Looking down on Loch Lubnaig from the ascent of An Sidhean
The first target was the summit of An Sidhean - a rocky little knoll. There was still a path, this time marked by red/white tape on poles, which led pretty straightforwardly through the bracken and heather, becoming more distinct nearer the top.
P1020810.JPG
On An Sidhean looking over to Beinn ant-Sidhein
From this top, there was a drop to a fence, with a style, and a track led over an intermediate top to the summit with an impressive (NOT) cairn.
P1020805.JPG
On the summit (with the cairn?) looking over to the Graham, Creag Mhor
I just followed my route of ascent on the way down, popping up on to the rocky knoll again where there was an excellent flat-rock 'seat' for some tea and grub.
P1020803.JPG
Walking back over to An Sidhean
The day, though, wasn't finished with me. It was very midge back at the car and in the rush to get away, I left my two Leki walking poles behind in the car park. Ah well ... one man's loss ....
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Beinn an t-Sidhein - one of these disastrous days!

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:33 pm

I can understand anyone leaving their poles escaping from a sustained midge attack. :wtf:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Sgurr » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:37 am

Marker poles can be a great help. We were trying to get our heads round the convoluted directions as to how to get to North and South Lee on North Uist, when we saw a note that said that since 2014 marker poles had been in place. Hooray, no falling up to our waists in blanket bog (someone had pointed out this was a hazard), no going the wrong way round the many lochans and getting stuck. Just follow the yellow brick road . Shame about YOUR poles

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby rob munbett » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:07 am

After all the years and all the hills, I felt like an absolute amateur - forgetting maps and losing poles. I'll just have to get back out again and forget about it!
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Postby kevsbald » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:19 pm

Interesting wee pad.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland