walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Climbers Traverse Great Gable

Climbers Traverse Great Gable

Postby Guinessman » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:46 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Great Gable

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Gable

Date walked: 02/07/2015

Distance: 9.46 km

Ascent: 868m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Over the lakes yesterday. MWIS forecast had the weather as 40/50 MPH winds on the tops, rain and thunderstorms which didn't look promising. The day was an arranged meet, meeting two others so backing out wasn't an option. In the event the forecast was well wide of the mark with only one strong gust which lasted for two minutes and only spots of rain. It was a warm day around 25 c. Surprisingly the lakes was very quiet, only saw about 20 people.It was a late start not getting going until 10.45hrs. I hadn't been on this route for some 17/18 years and chose to do it to try and get back into scrambling and feel comfortable with it. I need to do the Inn Pinn in the next few years before I'm past it.

Up the rocky path to the right of Taylorgill force.

View back down into Borrowdale. Just at this point an RAF jet flew over about 100 feet above us. It was a weird sensation I was actually looking the other way and only heard it at first, on turning I saw the jet almost on its side as it banked right over Taylorgill force. It was too quick to get the camera in action

Continued up to Styhead and had bait at the rescue box

From the rescue box there are 3 paths to your right . The first on the right goes up the front of Gable to the top, the left goes back down to wasdale. The required path is the one in the middle. follow that initially on grass until you hit a clear path cutting through the rocks. You then come to the first crag. The path continues along the base of the crag cutting through the large boulders

Continue around the boulders until you come to a large scree field. There are two paths cutting across the scree, I always take the higher one as it ascends gradually at an angle avoiding a straight uphill walk further on. The path leads onto Napes crag.

View backover

As you follow the path at Napes you get your first view of Napes Needle which until now has blended in with the rocks

Easy scrambling leads to the base of Napes Needle and leads onto the open chimney at the rear of the Needle. Climb up this which is known as "threading the needle". Its about 25 feet on polished rock with plenty of handholds and footholds

Scrambling buddy coming up the back of the Needle

and then climbing down the other side a drop of about 35 feet down the cracks

After climbing down from the back of the Needle you drop into a scree filled gully and then climb back onto the rib opposite the needle. From there you get an excellent view of the Needle

The path continues along through the rocks with a few moves requiring hands on rock until you come to the Sphinx rock

You can scramble around the back of the Sphinx, I went around the front on grassy ledges and you then drop into a gully. From there I crossed the scree and onto a rib which leads up to Great Gable. I did see two blokes going up the rib behind the Sphinx

From the top we went down into windy gap and because one of the lads felt knackered due to the heat we dropped straight down to styhead and back to Borrowdale.

Last edited by Guinessman on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Re: Climbers Traverse Great Gable

Postby stevesey » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:50 pm

Excellent write up - another one for the todo list. :-)
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Postby dav2930 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:36 pm

Good scramble that. Makes you want to climb the Needle though doesn't it? I came this way when I did the Coast to Coast, as a variation on AW's original, & wild camped at Angle Tarn. I was lucky with the weather.

If you're looking for practice for the Inn Pin, have you thought about trying Pinnacle Ridge on St. Sunday Crag? Similar standard.

Great report.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Guinessman » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:55 am

Thanks for the comments,might have a look at pinnacle ridge. Don't know about climbing the needle,don't think my skills are up to that level
Guinessman
Walker

Postby ChrisW » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:20 pm

A nice hike and tasty little scramble Guinessman looks really enjoyable :thumbup: Good luck with the Inn Pinn when you do get around to it :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:35 pm

Some great looking rock there! Thanks for this - now in the memory banks for the future... :D
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby davegreg » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:58 am

It''s great!Spectacular mountains and beautiful sight. :thumbup:
davegreg

Postby Guinessman » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:54 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Guinessman
Walker

Postby stevesey » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:02 pm

Wondering how well this would work as a descent route? Seems to be both up and downclimbs when ascending. What do you think?
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Guinessman » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:25 pm

Yes it would work as a descent. You could drop down to the cairn shown in the photograph. From there ,you are at the top of Westmoreland crag you could drop to the right around the crag,from there there is a path trending left that goes to the top of a rib that leads to the sphinx rock area. Personally I would go to the right from the cairn and drop down the rib to the right of the scree . When you can see the side of the sphinx and more or less level with the needle cross the scree and join the traverse.
Last edited by Guinessman on Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guinessman
Walker

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:31 pm

Good report, Guinessman. A pretty exciting way to climb Great Gable.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:38 pm

I was playing with the idea of using this to link Kirk Fell and Lingmell, do you think you'd get a dog along the traverse?
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Guinessman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:11 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:I was playing with the idea of using this to link Kirk Fell and Lingmell, do you think you'd get a dog along the traverse?

I'd say no unless in a rucksack. You could however use the girdle path which contours below the crags and joins the col before Kirkfell.

I've had my westie on striding and Swirral edge with no problem but the gable climbers traverse is more hands on.
Guinessman
Walker

Postby simon-b » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:26 pm

Guinessman wrote:
johnkaysleftleg wrote:I was playing with the idea of using this to link Kirk Fell and Lingmell, do you think you'd get a dog along the traverse?

I'd say no unless in a rucksack. You could however use the girdle path which contours below the crags and joins the col before Kirkfell.

I've had my westie on striding and Swirral edge with no problem but the gable climbers traverse is more hands on.

I agree with Guinessman there, Hughie should be OK on the regular South Traverse path described by Wainwright as part of the Gable Girdle.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland