walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Skye with Dad, nailing the Pin In

Skye with Dad, nailing the Pin In

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:16 pm

Munros included on this walk: Am Basteir, Inaccessible Pinnacle, Sgùrr Mhic Chòinnich, Sgùrr nan Gillean

Date walked: 02/07/2015

Time taken: 18 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 2442m

23 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Late last year dad and I spoke about going to Skye to try the Pin, dad has never done it and feels time is running out in terms of agility for him so he wanted it ticked off the bucket list. Hence then the reason for this trip. We booked into the Fasgath B&B in Kyle of Lochalsh for the Wednesday and Thursday nights and then played the waiting game for the months to tick away till our big trip. As time went on and we came to the week before our trip I had two beady eyes all over the weather forecast, our days were looking to be the best of a bad week, fingers crossed it remain the same. We arrived in Kyle of Lochalsh on a fine summers evening, settled into the B&B and got an early night.

photo 1.JPG
Eilean Donan Castle on the way over to Kyle of Lochalsh on Wednesday evening

We had called Paddy (our guide) earlier and he confirmed a 9am meet at the Sligachan Mountain rescue hut. Great, we would get a full breakfast at 7.20 and be away the back of 8 to meet Paddy. He said because the weather was not to be the best today that we'd do Am Basteir and Sgurr nan Gillean.

photo 2.JPG
Mountain rescue hut where we met Paddy

Introductions were done, it was only him and us and then we loaded the kit into our packs and Paddy gave me the rope to carry, it was extra weight I could do without but it made me look as close as i'll ever be to a proper climber so the extra effort was worth it :lol:

photo 3.JPG
Clag on the route up to the Bealach a' Bhasteir

photo 4.JPG
Typical Skye rock with minor intrusions running along it

photo 5.JPG
Bealach a' Bhasteir above the snow field

We followed the path up to Bealach a' Bhasteir where we left the packs and got our harnesses and helmets on.

photo 6.JPG
Reaching the Bealach a' Bhasteir, packs off and harnesses on

photo 7.JPG
Getting prepared to head up Am Basteir

Paddy led at a good pace and we soon reached a section where he would lower us down around ten feet as a section of rock had broken away leaving a near vertical drop. I went first and waited on dad, he was a little less steady but managed it fine.

photo 8.JPG
Paddy lowering dad off the first small drop before climb to Am Basteir

Next stop was the summit of Am Basteir, the clag was down but Paddy assured us that the drop over the edge to the North was sheer :shock:

photo 9.JPG
Am Basteir summit, me and dad

We returned to the Bealach and loaded the packs on again and made our way to the Chimney we would ascend up to get to Gillean. Paddy said the options here were to leave the packs and return that way with him lowering us down or we take the packs and we descend off Gillean a more gradual way but it be slightly longer in time and distance. I saw in dads eyes he was not quite ready for the descent so we opted to take our packs. Paddy roped us up and we climbed up the chimney to reach him. This felt great and of course Paddy made us feel at ease and safe.

photo 10.JPG
Paddy leading the climb up the chimney to Sgurr nan Gillean

photo 11.JPG
Dad next up

photo 12.JPG
Paddy leading the next difficult step round before the window is reached on Gillean

We scrambled round the corner to the window, Paddy said as we were carrying our packs that we could not go through as it be too tight a squeeze. Nevertheless we contoured round to it's left and soon were on the summit of Gillean. The clag was still thick but it broke briefly for views back to Am Basteir.

photo 13.JPG
Looking back to Am Basteir appearing out of the clag

photo 14.JPG
Me, Sgurr nan Gillean summit

We took the longer more gradual route off Gillean which took us East away from the summit and then back West below Pinnacle Ridge and then back onto our outward route back to the cars.

photo 15.JPG
Looking back to the days summits, left to right, Sgurr nan Gillean, Am Basteir and Bruach na Frithe

Paddy arranged our gear for quick easy distribution tomorrow and we set off back for showers and food after agreeing to meet again at 9am the next day at the third cottage in along Glen Brittle.
We decided on not such a heavy breakfast the day of the Pin, the weather in Kyle was also drizzle so I was fearing the worst but as we arrived at the meeting point in Glen Brittle Paddy was encouraged by the weather. He said we'd go for Mhic Choinnich first today as a big group had not long passed heading for the Pin. We walked up along the path towards Coire Lagan, once up next to the wee loch below the Great Stone Chute to Alasdair we took a rest and some food.

photo 17.JPG
Sgurr Mhic Choinnich and the start of the Great Stone Chute up to Sgurr Alasdair

photo 18.JPG
Sgurr Mhich Chionnich ahead

Paddy said our next target was just below An Stac where we'd ditch the packs and head over the bealach to Mhich Choinnich. This was quite a scrambly part, nothing technical or hard but constant scrambling, good foot and hand holds though.

photo 19.JPG
And again, look impenetrable from this angle

Soon we made the summit of Mhich Choinnich, it had a memorial from back in the 50's on the summit but it was cracked. Paddy believed this was due to a lightening strike.

photo 20.JPG
Me and Paddy Sgurr Mhich Choinnich summit

We retraced our steps back to the packs passing the big group that had just summited the Pin on the way. Their guide informed us that there was no queue which was a boost.

photo 21.JPG
Looking back down Coire Lagan and Loch Brittle

photo 22.JPG
The Pin revealing itself out of the clag

We had a quick food stop then started the climb up to the left of An Stac towards the foot of the Pin. On reaching it the sun was starting to burn through and views were opening up. A solo climber then came over the top of An Stac and asked if he could shoot on in front of us up the Pin as he was not roping, up he went and we never saw him again, ridge traverse must have been the reason for his haste. Paddy got all the ropes ready then gave us his instructions and then set off on the first pitch.

photo 23.JPG
First pitch up the Pin

Dad then followed and me last, the first pitch had great food and hand holds till one section that the foot hold is not great, we made it over that and met Paddy where he'd set the anchor. He took our picture as things were really brightening up.

photo 24.JPG
Paddy kindly took a photo of dad and I just before start of second pitch, Mhic Choinnich and Alasdair in background, clag had disappeared

The second pitch is a lot easier but a bit more exposed but we were soon hugging the summit rock. As we were the only soles there and would not be holding anyone up Paddy set up and anchor and allowed us up to touch the true summit, this is not something he normally does but due to their only being me and dad he suggested to us it be fine. Great stuff, we'd done it, now lets get down safely. Paddy lowered dad first and he did great, down in super quick time. Me next and the adrenalin going through my body made the experience awesome. We waited on the limpet Paddy as he kindly went back down to the base of the Pin for the bags and we took photos from the summit of Sgurr Dearg.

photo 25.JPG
The Pin

Soon we were on our way back down the ridge past window buttress and back to the path out. I must take my hat off to people that are able to do continuous days on the Cuillin as I was really feeling it on the route back to the car, mostly because I was wearing my Manta winter boots as I did not want to wreck my summer ones. This proved a good decision as the Mantas saw a fair bit of wear over the two days. I was so glad to get out of the boots and into trainers, the sun was shining and I lay for 10 minutes while I waited on dad and Paddy. We cannot thank Paddy enough for the great two days he gave us, I imagine we'll manage the rest of the Cuillin ourselves but it was a great feeling knowing we were with a guide whom knew all the routes etc as that would be one hard place to be navigating in clag :shock:
One last stop over the bridge in Kyle to take a photo of Skye as the light was fading.
Great couple of days, probably the best I've had and luckily I got to spend them with the Mannie Beaner :lol:
Cheers
photo 16.JPG
And the hills of Scotland go on and on, hope to return to Skye next year
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Skye with Dad, nailing the Pin In

Postby kmai1961 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:36 pm

Awesome report, with some really great pics of you and your dad together. Well done to both generations of Beaner! :)

You guys got the (really scary) ones done that we-all didn't get to in May...

Karen
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:91   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:51   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Postby teaandpies » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:01 pm

I can't wait to do this.

Nice report.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby SecretSquirrel » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:08 pm

Excellent report. Good to see the weather cleared for you and your dad climbing the In-Pin.
Great pics and a day to remember! :clap: :clap:
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby ancancha » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:19 pm

Proper mountaineering :!:
Great report and photos.
A happy achievement for both of you :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:33 pm

Nothing quite like the Cuillin, superb photograph of you and your Dad, Mathew worth framing? Now for the rest!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:29 pm

Great stuff :clap: Glad you got some views :D some nice pics there
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:08 pm

Great ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
glad that you had some views for the effort...and nice to see done by two generation :clap: :D :clap: Well done :clap:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Silverhill » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:03 pm

Well done to both of you! 8) :clap:
This is very informative. I’ve got a trip to Skye planned in August (eeks!). I think I will be losing some sleep now. :lol:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Wanderlust7 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:30 am

Great report well done to you both, it looked a magnificent outing.
Wanderlust7
Stravaiging

Munros:229   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:38 am

Great report, great pics, totally wonderful place :clap: :clap: :clap: Can't wait to get up there again this year.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby martin.h » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:06 pm

Excellent stuff Matthew and well done Dad.
What fantastic weather for a brilliant experience. We're looking to have a go at some of the Munros on Skye next year and hoping to use Paddy, fingers crossed.
It looks brilliant on those mountains.
Thanks.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:02 pm

Well done Matt and dad :clap: but wait a minute no Roy and Lochy :lol: bet they wondered why they got left at home, but safer for sure.
So next time the Inn Pinn from the short side ? :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:48 pm

Another brilliant report Matt.

I still have those two scary beasts to do, so your report was really helpful and encouraging- thanks!

Can I ask - was the In Pinn your 150th?

Pleased to say it was mine and in fantastic sunshine like you also.
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:08 pm

Excellent - well done both of you ! :clap:
Good to hear you had a great time with Paddy - he guided three other guys and me round the Cuillin a couple of years back - cracking week and he was great - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

23 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland