walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Little Fell - A guided walk to a forbidden mountain

Little Fell - A guided walk to a forbidden mountain

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:29 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Little Fell (North Pennines)

Date walked: 11/07/2015

Time taken: 5.45

Distance: 15.2 km

Ascent: 651m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After climbing Mickle Fell last year I had been looking for a way to climb Little Fell this year. After contacting the AONB I got an email inviting me on this guided walk on Saturday and I was delighted to take them up on the offer with the added bonus being that Little Fell was my last remaining English Hewitt.

We met at 10am prompt in the little village of Hilton just outside of Appleby and the two guides talked us through the safety for the day - giving us insight into the kind of terrain we were heading in to in the Warcop MOD Range.

The route initially involved a very easy and pleasant wander through the excellent valley of Scordale (available to walk along on any non firing day) with the charming Hilton Beck as company.

At several points throughout the walk our guides stopped us to offer insight into the area and the surroundings and they both came across as very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about what they do.

Roman Fell ahead.JPG
Roman Fell (also forbidden but under 2000ft) ahead near the start of the walk

Gordale.JPG
Scordale and Hilton Beck

Gordale Higher up.JPG
Higher up Scordale

Back down Scordale.JPG
Looking back down Scordale to Roman Fell

After the walk steepened at the head of Scordale we then made our way over pathless and wet terrain towards Little Fell where we found a small cairn marking the highest point - or as near as could be with other surrounding tufts of grass running it close.

Mickle Fell.JPG
Mickle Fell comes in to view

Over the moor.JPG
Looking back over the moor towards Great Dunn Fell

Summit in view.JPG
Little Fell summit now in view

Mickle Fell again.JPG
A sea of peat between Little and Mickle Fell

Cairn.JPG
This cairn could have been the top....

High POint.JPG
But somebody else's GPS suggested this grassy knoll. Not much in it either way!

After this we made our way over to the broken down Trig Point and shelter before taking a pathless descent into Swindale - passing a few army shells along the way.

All that remained now was a pleasant walk through Swindale back into Scordale and back to Hilton.

Trig over there.jpg
The Trig Point is on the other side of the summit

Trig.JPG
Trig Point

Ammo.JPG
Shells!

Swindale.JPG
Swindale

I'd recommend this walk to anybody and would say it far outweighs the idea of risking trespassing with the AONB or the Warcop Range both happier for hill baggers to take this option. Just get in touch with them!

For me personally the walk was slower than the pace I would usually go at but the plus points were obviously that I had more time to enjoy my surroundings (Scordale particularly is a beautiful valley) and that map reading was not needed!
Last edited by Broggy1 on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: Little Fell - A guided walk to a forbidden mountain

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:33 pm

Strangely enough I was just thinking about Little Fell earlier today. The thought of a guided walk is not my thing but it looks like a canny day out. I do have a distant hankering for completing the English Hewitts one day so and this option looks better than trespassing on land that might just have something ready to blow my leg off :shock:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:39 pm

Always nice to see more of the North Pennines Broggy, particularly when it's a much less travelled area. It would be worth doing just for the experience, it's a shame it wasn't at your pace but slower than normal pace beats faster every time :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Broggy1 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:34 am

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Strangely enough I was just thinking about Little Fell earlier today. The thought of a guided walk is not my thing but it looks like a canny day out. I do have a distant hankering for completing the English Hewitts one day so and this option looks better than trespassing on land that might just have something ready to blow my leg off :shock:

It's a good walk and while not something I'd guess you would want to do a great deal it does make a nice exception for this hill - particularly as you say with it being on the MOD land (although I'm sure the risk is minimal).
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Postby Broggy1 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:35 am

ChrisW wrote:Always nice to see more of the North Pennines Broggy, particularly when it's a much less travelled area. It would be worth doing just for the experience, it's a shame it wasn't at your pace but slower than normal pace beats faster every time :lol:

Yes I'd certainly recommend it as a one off for the experience as you say!
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Postby john923 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:51 pm

Thanks for posting this. I too have had my eye on doing this walk sometime as the easiest way to bag this hill. Is it still the case that it's run just once a year? I wouldn't be surprised if others approach surreptitiously from Mickle Fell on the more regular access weekends but the peaty mass between the two is not very enticing. Were there no takers for Roman Fell or was that completely off limits?
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

Postby Broggy1 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:25 pm

john923 wrote:Thanks for posting this. I too have had my eye on doing this walk sometime as the easiest way to bag this hill. Is it still the case that it's run just once a year? I wouldn't be surprised if others approach surreptitiously from Mickle Fell on the more regular access weekends but the peaty mass between the two is not very enticing. Were there no takers for Roman Fell or was that completely off limits?

Yes my understanding is once a year (although he did say they did it twice last year). Best bet is to get in touch with the MOD or the AONB themselves.

I was well up for Roman Fell but don't think the guide wanted to!

Sure you are right. There is a bridleway between Little Fell and Roman Fell that you are allowed to walk on non shooting days and of course you can walk Scordale on them days as well. So pretty sure a lot of folk use these as a route to avoided the guided aspect.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:04 pm

Cheers Broggy, a good informative report for anyone wanting to climb this fell. Congratulations on completing the English Hewitts (or should that be Hetts?) :clap:
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland