walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Caught by the mist this time! - Ben Lawers

Caught by the mist this time! - Ben Lawers

Postby KatTai » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:47 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 15/07/2015

Time taken: 5.1 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 968m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've been lucky so far avoiding pea soup on the hills, but today my luck ran out! The forecast looked good so I opted for Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas for today but sadly the forecast was a little different to what it was last night for early on in the day.

With one dog retired from hill walking, and with no doggy sitter for today, I had to set off early to get in a hill walk and get back at a reasonable time so retired doggy isn't on her own too long, so myself and non-retired doggy (Millie) set off at 3:30am and started out walk at 5:50am. It wasn't looking too promising with the hills shrouded in cloud, but we were there so we started walking regardless! I was hoping it would clear so we took our time sauntering up. Stopped for a bite to eat, spotted what looked like a suitable sheltered spot to find some inconsiderate person had failed to pick up after their dog there, and some poor person had stood in it (not me might I add)! So I ended up sitting in the wind, thank you irresponsible, inconsiderate dog owner! Sometimes I wonder why I bother picking up my dogs poop and carrying it around with me (albeit in my Dicky Bag) when others don't show the same consideration! Especially in a sheltered spot too where people can escape from the wind.

Not surprisingly, I didn't sit for long before deciding to just go for it since we were there. The path is well-made and obvious so easy to follow though I find walking in the mist is boring and tiresome, but we kept on going seeing false summit appearing after false summit. I think I found the summit of Beinn Ghlas, but not sure. It seemed to be as high as I got before the descent into the bealach and there was a pile of stones there that didn't look like they could indicate much else! Down in the bealach we followed the path along seeing lots of sheep watching us, probably thinking we were mad wandering along in the mist to climb a mountain! I spotted the alternative descent route, which was the route I was going to take back as I was fed up of the mist and while the path is good there were some steeper bits going down that I would rather be able to navigate without Millie on the lead which isn't an option with so many sheep around. But first to get to the summit of Ben Lawers which was through the same mist with more of the mountain appearing as we climbed up until we finally spotted the unmistakable shape of a summit marker. We stopped to enjoy the view (NOT!). I did wonder if the sun was going to break through but instead the mist just seemed to get thicker so we just started our descent. Of course, partway along the descent trail the sun started breaking through and the cloud started to lift though when I last looked the summit still held onto a crown of cloud. The descent trail was nice and simple and we were soon back on the original track heading down through the fenced-in bit and back to the car getting back for 11:00am. Not bad going, though possibly an indication of how much extra time that I spend taking photos as normally I'm towards the other end of the estimated time given by WH! I suspect when I try this again if I get clear weather it will take a bit longer!

Of course, I still managed to get some photos!

There is a summit there somewhere...

Something tells me I may have picked the wrong munros for today...

Pretty flowers

Don't know where this came from but it was a complete circle drifting up, had already started breaking apart when I got the camera to focus on it though!

Being watched...

FINALLY!

Oh look sunlight...

Nice views once the cloud lifted!

Mountain ringlet

This was the look I got off Millie at what I'm guessing was the summit of Beinn Ghlas...I think it says it all really!

And just a nice pose from Millie :)
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Caught by the mist this time! - Ben Lawers

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:06 pm

some lovely photos there .....shame about the clag
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby teaandpies » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:43 pm

Stopped for a bite to eat, spotted what looked like a suitable sheltered spot to find some inconsiderate person had failed to pick up after their dog there, and some poor person had stood in it (not me might I add)! So I ended up sitting in the wind, thank you irresponsible, inconsiderate dog owner! Sometimes I wonder why I bother picking up my dogs poop and carrying it around with me (albeit in my Dicky Bag) when others don't show the same consideration! Especially in a sheltered spot too where people can escape from the wind.

You'd hope it was dog :sick:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby KatTai » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:52 pm

SAVAGEALICE wrote:some lovely photos there .....shame about the clag

Well, just means it goes to the top of the list to re-do next year I guess! Maybe next time I'll have better luck :D

teaandpies wrote:
You'd hope it was dog :sick:

I don't want to think of the alternatives...
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby Petr Dakota » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:11 pm

Well done :clap: nice walk there 8)
I did these two in november 2013 in heavy snow, freeze...but clear & sunny sky...
Sorry for the mist, but finally you got some nice views, glad you managed some great photos :clap:
I love your detailed photos - you always have some extra special photos in your reports...like the details of flowers, butterfly, frog, birds...etc Really nice ! :clap: :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Driftwood » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:35 pm

The "pile of stones there that didn't look like they could indicate much else" beside the path sounds like the top of Beinn Ghlas to me. I had cloud for these two as well (though not quite so much, so I had a moment's glance at Lochan nan Cat before the clag closed up), but met my first Ptarmigan on Beinn Ghlas, so didn't mind the missed views.

I'll join the chorus of approval for the wildflower and butterfly photos, but especially the expressive Millie.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby KatTai » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:53 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:Well done :clap: nice walk there 8)
I did these two in november 2013 in heavy snow, freeze...but clear & sunny sky...
Sorry for the mist, but finally you got some nice views, glad you managed some great photos :clap:
I love your detailed photos - you always have some extra special photos in your reports...like the details of flowers, butterfly, frog, birds...etc Really nice ! :clap: :D

Thank you :D The clearing mist gave me a glimpse of what I can look forward to next year and in general I found it a really nice walk so will be high on the list to re-do. I feel kind of bad because it was my 2nd choice for today! (1st choice was Lochnagar but forecast wasn't looking great for over there).

Driftwood wrote:The "pile of stones there that didn't look like they could indicate much else" beside the path sounds like the top of Beinn Ghlas to me. I had cloud for these two as well (though not quite so much, so I had a moment's glance at Lochan nan Cat before the clag closed up), but met my first Ptarmigan on Beinn Ghlas, so didn't mind the missed views.

I'll join the chorus of approval for the wildflower and butterfly photos, but especially the expressive Millie.

Good to know we found the summit, though no wonder so many people miss it when that is all to mark it! I was walking along the path wondering if I had gone passed and missed it or if I hadn't reached it yet. At least there was no questioning the summit of Ben Lawers.

Thank you for the compliments on the photos too :D Millie is great for photography, if only she would smile more often though!
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby roscoT » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:09 pm

Nice report, and you still managed to get some good photos, especially around the nature reserve. Cheers!

Probably the last thing you'll want to hear, but I did these two this afternoon and the weather was great! :wink:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54227
roscoT
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:33
Fionas:20   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:5   Islands:15

Postby KatTai » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:23 am

roscoT wrote:Nice report, and you still managed to get some good photos, especially around the nature reserve. Cheers!

Probably the last thing you'll want to hear, but I did these two this afternoon and the weather was great! :wink:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54227

I could see the weather was getting better when I was heading down, typical! But at least I didn't get stuck in any traffic as I hate getting stuck in traffic. Unfortunately I can't see any of your photos, not sure if it is my computer or not though!
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby ancancha » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:19 pm

I did the Tarmachan ridge and got great weather and views, but like you when I did Lawers although the weather was good to start with it turned to clag at the summit.
Still an interesting walk though :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby trederdog 100 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:05 pm

Think i've been up Lawers 6 or 7 times and I've had a view once! Seems to have an eternal misty hat on.
trederdog 100
Munro compleatist

Munros:158   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland