walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Ghaordaidh Soaking

Meall Ghaordaidh Soaking

Postby ancancha » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:54 pm

Route description: Meall Ghaordaidh from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 17/07/2015

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.42 km

Ascent: 917m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather had been pretty bad, rain and wind, The Open had to be delayed :!: but the forcast for Killin had shown an improving outlook with showers and wind diminishing 8)
So off I set taking in a quick view of the falls at Killin with the water crashing down

Meall Ghaordaidh killin falls.jpg

Found the turn off up Glen Lochay, a very narrow but well surfaced tarmac road. Passed a campsite, a very busy one :!:
Spotted what I thought was the parking area, certainly thats where the WH gpx said it should be, but I'm not parking the car too far off the tarmac here :!: it's soaking. Drove further up and probably should have parked at another area where there is indeed room for a few cars to park safely. Carried on a bit further, would I bottle it :?: it is getting late. Found a place to turn round and headed back only to be stopped by a very angry common sandpiper screaming at me from the middle of the road :shock:

Meall Ghaordaidh sandpiper road.jpg

Eventually it retreated to a rock in the middle of the river and kept a careful watch on me until I moved on

Meall Ghaordaidh sandpiper rock.jpg

Got back to where the car was supposed to be parked and after reassuring myself that the actual ground the wheels would be resting on was firm, parked and got my gear on and set off through the gate, over the burn (more of that later) and across the field towards the very old ash trees

Meall Ghaordaidh ash tree.jpg

There are a number of large and I assume very old ash trees. To be honest I'm not expert enough to say whether these are Rowans, sometimes referred to as "Mountain Ash" or actually ash trees :?: If they are Rowans then they are big

Meall Ghaordaidh another ash tree.jpg

Probably taking a look at the photo on this page of a matture Rowan these are ash
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowan

There's also a fine Sycamore

Meall Ghaordaidh sycamore.jpg

Moving on past the Sycamore and across the flowery meadow field towards the style and over the wall

Meall Ghaordaidh buttercup meadow.jpg

The view looking back from over the wall

Meall Ghaordaidh style.jpg

From here the landrover track is surrounded by a fern forest. Got to the cairn which marks departure onto the footpath. I tried to delude myself into believing that the good landrover track was the way forward

Meall Ghaordaidh path turn cairn.jpg

before turning back. Took a few photos of the mini Corie which seems to be the start of the Allt na h-lolair

Meall Ghaordaidh path turn.jpg

before heading up and across this small trickle. By the time I got back here it would be a torrent :!:

Meall Ghaordaidh trickle crossing.jpg

To be honest so far I couldn't believe the boggy reputation this walk had received in other reports, though my perception would change :lol:

Quite a steep haul up to the flatter section before the summit climb, kept thinking oh look just over this crest, just over this crest, but eventually it was just over the crest

Meall Ghaordaidh first sight.jpg

delightfully embellished with some clag :roll:

The flattish next section is a bog trot over peat hag, I had put on my gaiters and so far my boots were dry.

Shortly afterwards the rain became persistent and with driving wind. The complete opposite of what the forecast had led me to expect. It's a pity as the surrounding landscape isn't without interest and I was hoping to be able to look across to the Meall nan Tarmachan ridge which I'd done previously. Guess this was the best I could hope for

Meall Ghaordaidh top start.jpg

Cam Chreag

Meall Ghaordaidh Cam Chreag.jpg

The rain and wind got more severe and I stopped to put on gloves and shelter for a few minutes to see if it would ease, a tell tail spot on the camera lens

Meall Ghaordaidh ruck sack poles.jpg

Other than the angry sandpiper at the beginning of this soaking I wouldn't be getting any wildlife spectaculars :(

Quite an interesting path though on the way up, with several slab sections and other sections of broken up smaller slabs.
Got to the top and took a couple of photos.
From the shelter cairn with a trig point in the middle

Meall Ghaordaidh summit.jpg

and of the cairn, had to be downwind to avoid rains spots on the lens and even though I was quick and didn't get it in focus :(

Meall Ghaordaidh summit cairn.jpg

Such a shame as I'd have enjoyed inspecting the streak of white quartz that forms part of the path and I'm sure the views of the surrounding Glens are fabulous.
Not much point in hanging around up here, it certainly was't a picnic opportunity :!:

Off back down after eventually finding the path which is now running with fresh rainfall. I was very surprised at the quick descent and I was soon at the small trickle which was now a torrent just after the path branches off from the landrover track. Wish I'd taken a photo with the phone which is in an overboard bag. Wasn't thinking. I definitely wasn't going to take the good camera out of the warm dry pocket to subject it to a rain soaking; after all I've just starting getting the hang of it after several months of failures :roll: Just take it from me it's been raining persistently and heavily with obvious consequences.

Onto the landrover track and by now I had thought about the phone camera. A photo of the nice little mini Coire, not so clear now in the moisture laden air

Meall Ghaordaidh mini coire.jpg

Interestingly despite the heavy rain and wind I was smiling and at times laughing on the way down. What interesting reactions we have to diversity :lol:

Got to the ford just before the ash trees and it is a different place now, but my boots are now wet and the car is close by so a walk though the now five inch deep water won't make much difference

Meall Ghaordaidh ford.jpg

Back to the car and off with the wet gear and into jeans and t-shirt for the drive home.

Expect the falls at Killin are spectacular now, although it is dark and I won't see much. The burial ground of the Macnab's is on a piece of ground just down river from the bridge at Killin. I doubt the Macnab ancestors will be getting much peace this night as the river crashes down deafeningly.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Meall Ghaordaidh Soaking

Postby ancancha » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:20 pm

RTC wrote:Brave man heading out yesterday. The rain overnight in the Stirling area had been horrendous. Well done on ticking off a Munro.

Thanks RTC, it was certainly a slow careful drive back down to Stirling :!: very heavy rain and lots of bits of trees blown onto the road.
As you say another one ticked off :wink:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:49 pm

One of the unsung Munros, perhaps, but a nice one, I reckon. Well done for carrying on in that weather, ancancha. The Falls of Dochart do look spectacular after rain, which gives some compensation for a wet day in Killin.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby ancancha » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:58 am

simon-b wrote:One of the unsung Munros, perhaps, but a nice one, I reckon. Well done for carrying on in that weather, ancancha. The Falls of Dochart do look spectacular after rain, which gives some compensation for a wet day in Killin.

Thanks Simon
Very much missed out on the views and being able to investigate the rocks due to the weather, not been a great summer so far. The falls are spectacular and expect after more rain during the weekend even more dramatic.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland