walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knoydart and the Rough Bounds day 1 - Gairich

Knoydart and the Rough Bounds day 1 - Gairich

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:12 pm

Munros included on this walk: Gairich

Date walked: 03/07/2015

Time taken: 3.15 hours

Distance: 9.3 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well this was the start of my two week holiday and Rudolph and I planned an epic trip. CWH was off to Uganda with a group from Church so giving us the opportunity to go beyond telephone contact for an entire week!
This trip has been in the planning stage for months - perhaps even years - involving food drops and bicycles - but in the end it was simplified by the extravagance of taking two cars justified (in our minds anyway) by me going on to Islay at the end while Rudolph had to go home.
We dropped one car at Kinlochhourn at the B&B, paid for parking and left a note of our plans with Tony at the B&B. Then we drove to the dam at the east end of Loch Quoich and left the car with a note to say don't come looking for us for a week till the 10th.
Having driven up from Yorkshire on a boiling hot day, it was about a quarter to 8 by the time we set off up the path to Gairich and still above 20 degrees. The midges were out a bit but once we got going we weren't bothered much.
P7031647.jpg
Looking up to Gairich from the dam

P7031648.jpg
Looking down towards Kingie and Glengarry with Ben Tee in the background

P7031650.jpg
The edge of the loch

P7031654.jpg
Looking down to the corner of the forest where you pick up the path to the right going up the East ridge of Gairich

P7031655.jpg
Rudolph striding out

The path is not difficult to find and we followed the WH route up Gairich by a nice steady climb until the last bit which is a bit of a steep pull at bedtime!
P7031656.jpg
looking over to the hills on the North side of Loch Quoich

P7031663.jpg
Upwards and Onwards

P7031666.jpg
looking south to Sgurr Mhurlagain

It was about half past ten when we hit the summit and we were treated to a lovely sunset.
P7031668.jpg
sunset

P7031669.jpg

P7031671.jpg
Rudolph summit picture

P7031673.jpg
me summit picture

P7031675.jpg
more sunset. Cuillin in the distance

P7031676.jpg
the Saddle in the bacground of this one I think

P7031677.jpg
ooh, aah!

P7031680.jpg
beauuutiful

We came down the other side a bit till we found a good water supply and pitched the tent on a nice flat patch which was not too boggy. Bit of a breeze getting up but after we ate some quick food we were in bed by midnight and soon asleep.
But NOT FOR LONG!!
The wind gradually got up and by about half past three the tent poles were flexing so much they were bumping me on the head in the kind of way that makes sleep impossible. Rudolph went exploring to see if he could find a more sheltered spot as we were really not in a fit state to get up and start walking again.
Such a spot was discovered and it was getting towards sunrise, then we saw the most amazing red rainbow. I never would have thought of such a thing!
P7041682.jpg
red rainbow at sunrise 4.30am

P7041683.jpg
the other end of the rainbow

Of course with the rainbow came the start of rain, so we quickly stuffed our gear into the rucksacks, picked up the tent bodily and moved it to a better spot. It must have made quite a sight to any passing deer, us carrying a fully erected tent about 300metres across the rough and boggy ground, reminded me of the Chuckle Brothers (to me, to you).
We found a little flat patch behind a lump of rock and went back to bed, sleeping in till 9am. And it was evening and it was morning, and that was the first day!

day 1 Gairich 20150703.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Here is the link to day 2 http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54326
Last edited by mrssanta on Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Knoydart and the Rough Bounds day 1 - Gairich

Postby ancancha » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:37 pm

Looks good so far with a fabulous sunset :clap:
Sgurr Mhurlagain, an interestingly shaped Corrie :!:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Silverhill » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:40 pm

What a great start to your holiday! Lovely sunset and that red rainbow :D I’ve never seen such a thing (nor did I see a thing when I did Gairich). I’m looking forward to the next installment of your adventure. 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:56 pm

Lovely start to your holidays,roll on your next TR.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby basscadet » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:50 pm

Wow, the red rainbow was fantastic :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby mrssanta » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:24 pm

ancancha wrote:Looks good so far with a fabulous sunset :clap:
Sgurr Mhurlagain, an interestingly shaped Corrie :!:

can't beat a good sunset. one of the great things about camping I think.
Silverhill wrote:What a great start to your holiday! Lovely sunset and that red rainbow :D I’ve never seen such a thing (nor did I see a thing when I did Gairich). I’m looking forward to the next installment of your adventure. 8)

no it never would have occurred to me such a thing would exist - just because the light was red just before sunrise. makes sense really but still amazing!
gammy leg walker wrote:Lovely start to your holidays,roll on your next TR.

Thanks gammy
basscadet wrote:Wow, the red rainbow was fantastic :)

thanks, wasn't it just. Was worth being hit across the head by a tent for that!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland