walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

View To A Thrill

View To A Thrill

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:24 am

Route description: Beinn Iutharn Mhòr and Càrn Bhac, Inverey

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Càrn Bhac

Date walked: 02/07/2015

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 32 km

Ascent: 983m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After seeing heehaw on Ben Avon I was determined to get back out and get some views. And so I chose this walk and despite it getting bad press I had a truly fantastic time. :D

No early ditching of the bike this time- straight to the omnipresent lodge ruins and off across the heather to Carn Bhac. A short section of peat hags to bounce on and then onto the path up to a further small bouldery ascent and onto the summit. Why can all hills not be this easy??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

And so with a big smile on my face it was down to the bealach, now as mentioned above I was dreading the vast expanse of peat hags but I thought they were absolutely fine- they were lovely and spongy to walk on. Next was the steep ascent- I tried to avoid the stones as much as possible and use the grassy patches to get to the ridge.

The first thing that greeted me a huge marker cairn but what I saw behind it was one of my favourite views of the day- the gently rising curve round to the summit cairn. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Once on the summit my plan was to carry on to Carn an Righ, and then I looked at the time, plenty of daylight left , excellent visibility but then I remembered the last time I was supposed to be heading to this hill and I burst out laughing - what a day that was! Life changing! And so I decided to leave Carn na Righ for another day- a very special day. :thumbup: :wink: :wink:

A good path left from the marker cairn down a gentle sloping ridge down into the heather again but by now the lodge is visible and if you are lucky you'll find a path which ends at a wee white cairn and just another 5 mins gets you back to your bike. Once again the return journey is so much faster than the inward journey. :D :D

Really enjoyed these hills and would happily do them again.
cb1.jpg
cb2.jpg
cb3.jpg
cb4.jpg
cb5.jpg
cb6.jpg
cb7.jpg
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: View To A Thrill

Postby GillC » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:46 pm

Lovely pics Pauline,,,how long do you think it would take to do Carn Bhac on its own,,under pedal power and feet? Cheers :D
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:14 pm

Gill you would manage this in well under 6 hrs no bother. I wasted a lot of time because I intially followed the wrong path (oh there's a surprise!) when I reached the lodge. And there was also record breaking fannying about with my camera!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:15 pm

Gill you would manage this in well under 6 hrs no bother. I wasted a lot of time because I intially followed the wrong path (oh there's a surprise!) when I reached the lodge. And there was also record breaking fannying about with my camera!
pollyh33
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland