walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carmarthen Fan

Carmarthen Fan

Postby wurzel » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:39 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Bannau Sir Gaer - Picws Du, Fan Brycheiniog, Fan Hir, Garreg Las [Twyn Swnd]

Date walked: 17/04/2010

Time taken: 7

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 960m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

These are some photos from a walk I did a few weeks back. I've also included better ones from a trip earlier in the month when there was snow on the ground. I found walking it clockwise the best, as this meant there were better views on the long stretch between the road and Gareg Las (or maybe it was because of the better weather that day), and avoided the trudge up to Fan Hir -- going down it was much easier.

There are a few small streams to cross, and with snow melt on the first visit some ingenuity was required to get over without getting wet, but after a few weeks of dry warmish weather they were easily crossed by jumping between stones. This was the best walk I've done in South Wales, and I've now visited all the South Wales Nuttalls/Hewitts. I'm looking forward to visiting some of the more northern Welsh hills next, and hopefully Scotland sometime this year.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

01.JPG
The two cairns on Garreg Las

02.JPG
This mesh was placed inside one of the cairns. Any idea what for?

03.JPG
Looking east from Waun Lefrith towards Picws Du

04.JPG
Looking down to Llyn y Fan Fach from Picws Du

05.JPG
Fan Foel from Picws Du

06.JPG
Picws Du viewed from the east

07.JPG
Looking towards Fan Hir from the SSE
wurzel

Munros:5   
Hewitts:48

Re: Carmarthen Fan

Postby mountain coward » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:03 am

They're beautifully sculpted mountains down there aren't they? :D Never seen anything like the cairn mesh - no idea why that would be there - unless someone's bivvying at the summit cairn/shelter and that's their cover for the night :lol:
mountain coward

Postby wurzel » Mon May 03, 2010 1:38 pm

They are quite pleasing to the eye. I had my first visit to N Wales yesterday, and what I saw up there was a lot less regular -- generally more rugged, rocky and harder on the knees on the way down. Still quite pleasant, though, in a different kind of way.
wurzel

Postby monty » Mon May 03, 2010 1:42 pm

Picture 3 looks tremendous with the drop from the plateau :D
monty

Postby walk aboot » Thu May 06, 2010 1:03 pm

Brilliant photos wurzel :) . Solved the mesh puzzle yet? :think:
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby wurzel » Sat May 08, 2010 9:31 am

walk aboot wrote:Solved the mesh puzzle yet? :think:

I can only guess. It looked like heavy duty stuff, not the sort of thing you'd carry up on your back.
wurzel

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland