walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The day I swam across Loch Quoich to climb Gairich

The day I swam across Loch Quoich to climb Gairich

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:27 pm

Route description: Gairich, Loch Quoich

Munros included on this walk: Gairich

Date walked: 19/07/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 7.4 km

Ascent: 716m

78 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was back in April when I first saw Gairich across the water. "If only I had a boat or kayak, so that I could paddle across!" I thought. The idea to buy a Kayak stayed with me for a while, but I decided against it at the end. What did not go away was the wish to approach the Munro by water. The wish lingered with me for 3 months until one morning an idea hit me while standing under the shower ... I could swim across!!! :D :D :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The more I thought about the idea the more I loved it and my brain went into overdrive. How could I take my hiking gear, I need a wetsuit, what would I do in an emergency? :think:
By the time I was dressed the plan stood. I would buy a lilo which I could use to transport my gear across and use in an emergency situation. I would buy a pair of fins, and remembering that one of my friends owned a wetsuit, all it needed was a phone call to ask for it... The more I thought about the idea, the more everything fell into place. :thumbup:

Speaking to some friends with cold water swimming experience they all thought I was insane 8) :crazy: :lol: (specially as there would be no one watching me) but even they had to agree that my plans should work. On top I got some great information (including about everything what could go wrong)

5 days later I had my gear together. I had planned to do a test swim (as the last time I swam was 8 months ago) but when Saturday arrived I knew I could not wait any longer (and miss a good opportunity) after all what can possibly go wrong. :wink: Time to head to Loch Quoich and set up camp.

Gairich across the water and my tent during sunset

I woke up Sunday morning, when the rain which had drummed against my tent at night, had stopped. Looking out of my tent the low clouds had cleared and it was overcast yet bright. Getting up I was as exited as a child at Christmas. :) Forcing my porridge oats down, I could not wait to leave and felt like bouncing. The only company I had was a group of highland cows, who had been my neighbors throughout the night and watched my frequent trips between car and tent ( to get my gear together) with curiosity.

Cows kept watching me

I had stored my hiking shoes, trousers, T-shirt, jacket, underwear, socks, towel, hat, mobile phone, camera and a muesli bar and water bottle in a dry bag, which was double bagged in another 10 l dry bag. Wearing my wetsuit I grabbed my fins, lilo and diving gloves and walked barefoot towards the shore. Stepping into a cold 10 C lake is never fun, but with a wetsuit it was bearable. With my fins on, dry bag strapped across my back, arms resting on the lilo, I started kicking my fins and the adventure could begin.

The walk towards the shore...with slightly different hill walking gear than normal :-D

Excited and ready to go with Gairlich and the 1.55 km distance across the water behind me

The loch was calm and I soon got into a good rhythm. I had no clue about the distance, or how long it would take me, but I was there to find out. Within the first ten minutes or so the cold crept into my exposed toes and made me wonder how long frostbite in a lake would take. Wriggling my toes in my fins did not help and soon they felt pretty numb. Looking across the water towards Knoydard was rather special and resting my head on my neoprene groves, I looked dreamily across the water. The water below me was pitch black and made me wondering how deep the loch was. Wasn't there supposed to be a Loch Quoich monster in the water? :shock: I remembered reading something about it online.. Half way expecting a tug on my fins, from the 'monster' lurking beneath me, :wink: I had lost all sense of time and for a while the other shore did not seem to get any closer. Finning my way across the loch, time seemed to stand still. Only by looking back I was able to see that I covered some distance. The constant movement of my legs kept me warmish, but I knew I could not stop, as I wanted to avoid getting any colder. Finally the other side seemed a bit closer and I decided to take a quick break to take some photos. Leaning across my lilo, I swung my leg around and sat straddled on top of it. Just as well I had many year of practice doing that abroad .When I found my balance I carefully opened my bag to get my camera out and snapped away. Quite nerve wracking and I was only able to relax again when everything was sealed back into the bags.

Over the sea

Half way across full of smiles

Black water...and god knows what lurking in the depths

Shouldering my bad once more, I let myself into the water and and reached the shore 45min after setting off. Needless to say I was well chuffed with myself and felt as if I stepped on land no one else has been.

Myself on the other side with my dry bag , lilo and fins

Drying myself off, I put my hiking gear on and was ready to climb Gairich. Carrying my gear towards some bracken I hid my lilo, fins and wetsuit and shouldered my dry bag. Deer hoof prints led up along side a burn and I decided to followed them. The ground was extremely boggy and my original plan to follow the burn was soon scrapped. Instead of a gentle start, it was straight up with frequents slips on wet grass. Pretty tiring but the views back across the loch were amazing, specially when I spotted a orange dot in the distance, which was my tent.

The start of the walk and bracken where I hid my lilo

Lovely views back

A bit higher up

Loch Quoich

The southern half of the loch

The way up

Having a rest

Huffing and puffing I climbed higher, filling my water bottle in one of the many burns. It was only 2.5km in distance, but I still needed 1.5 hours to reach the cairn. Celebrating in solitude with my muesli bar and water, I did not linger long and returned as soon as I finished eating.

Mission accomplished

Views from the top

The way back down

On the way down

Getting down I made the mistake to follow the burn, which turned out to be a 1 hour walk through soaking ground. Close to the shore I walked through some trees when I came across the remains of a stag. It always had been my dream to find anthers attached to a skull and lifting the head by the horns, I wondered how on earth I should get it across the water. My thoughts were soon interrupted when realized the horrendous smell coming from the head. :sick: :sick: :-| Upon closer inspection the skull had still bits of hair and flesh attached to it. The thought of rotting flesh smell during the full journey back home, soon made me change my mind and with a heavy heart I left my find behind.

My find

Back down at the shore, putting on my wet gear was a lot less worse than I had imagined, actually quire refreshing after the walk back down. Wading into the water with my gear in hand, I realized that the wind had picked up. Hoping for the best I started swimming and soon had to change direction slightly to stop the waves splashing all over my head. Swimming into the wind was hard going, as it pushed against my lilo and made the return journey a lot harder than I had expected. Pretty knackered after a full hour of swimming I reached the shore. Crawling onto some rocks I sat down to take a breather. Feeling pretty shattered I looked across the loch and up the mountain. Somehow it seemed unreal that I had managed it. :D

My 'landing' rocks

Back on the other side, knackered but happy

Getting up I gathered my things and walked barefoot across the rocks, my toes came back to life and the stiffness I felt in my legs lifted a bit. All I wanted to do was sleep, but instead I had to take my tent down, pack my car and drive 4 hours back home. Certainly my least favorite part of the journey.
Needless to say I crashed into bed that night., dreaming about the day and guess which mountain will be conquered by lilo next? :D :D :D :D :D

Sgurr Mor is waiting for me!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: The day I swam across Loch Quoich to climb Gairich

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:39 pm

some purists pour scorn on those of us who use bikes........not sure what they'd say about flippers and a lilo :lol: :wink:

definitely one of the more interesting ways to approach this hill :shock:
...just not sure I'll be adopting it any day soon :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby malky_c » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:46 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Upon closer inspection the skull had still bits of hair and flesh attached to it. The thought of rotting flesh smell during the full journey back home, soon made me change my mind and with a heavy heart I left my find behind.
I'm sure you could have rinsed it out on the swim back :wink: :lol:

Great report, and certainly an unusual approach. Have occasionally thought about swimming across narrow parts of lochs to save time walking round (such as Loch Eilt, getting from the Mallaig road to Essan bothy), but the complication of keeping stuff dry has just seemed like too much effort. That's a novel way of dealing with it - sticking everything on a lilo :D .

However, I think I will stick to using a canoe in the future - slightly more comfortable!
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:52 pm

You go girl! ..you're like superwoman!! :clap: :D
SAVAGEALICE

Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:03 pm

Possibly the most bonkers report on here...and I very much mean that as a complement!! :clap: Well done indeed.

Have you thought of looking into Packrafts? Inflatable canoes that weigh so little you can carry them across the hills. Not cheap mind...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby dav2930 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:20 pm

Good grief!! Rather you than me. The prospect of having to swim back again would put me right off! It made for a gripping report though and actually that's quite an achievement. :clap: Glad the monster didn't get you! :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby mgmt! » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:33 pm

Absolutely brilliant :clap: :clap: :clap:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby oslaallen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:36 pm

Your posts are always wonderful but this is your best yet :clap:
Loved the use of lilo (a super pink one) but I'm not sure it will make my kit list! Can't wait to read your next swim/hike adventure :D
oslaallen
Munro compleatist

Munros:244   Corbetts:25
Fionas:2   

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:55 pm

Well done ML, epic ! Loved reading that, but I'm kind of glad you didn't invite me to this one, unless I could have sat on the lilo as you pushed me across :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:35 pm

Given the way this summer is going, I expect wetsuits to become a common sight in the hills.

Anyway, I'm impressed (and not very much impresses me :lol: ).
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Steven001 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:42 pm

I've never heard of anyone doing that before :clap: You must of had a great sense of achievement when you finished it, well done!
Steven001

Munros:79   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:55 pm

Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby gman » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:26 pm

Brilliant :clap:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby tomyboy73 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:42 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: amazing , well done
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:46 pm

Absolutely zany - even more so than Malky_C's canoe stuff :clap: :clap: :clap: (especially as the route from the dam looks as if it would take about the same time as the swim; and you didn't even take the shortest route across the lake - definitely a case of "because it was there", right!?!???).

And with style - a PINK lilo!

walk-bike-swim..... Begins to sound like a triathlon!

Great escapade!!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

78 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland