walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Four Eastern Mamores

Four Eastern Mamores

Postby skillinabottle » Mon May 03, 2010 12:35 pm

Route description: Binnein Mòr and Na Gruagaichean, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Binnein Beag, Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean, Sgùrr Èilde Mòr

Date walked: 01/05/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 19 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Myself and walking buddy set off from Glasgow at 0700 and reached the Mamore Lodge car park for 0900. Two bridge schemes and numerous other roadworks on the A82 slowed us down a little. There was a low (~800m) cloud level and the Met Office couldn't decide if it would brighten up later. We set off at 0915 following the track unsure if we would manage the intended 4 Munros. Our planned route was to head up the south side of Na Gruagaichean but as we approached there was no clear path. Later on we would find the better direct route from this summit but as it turned out our decision to change our plan and do the 4 Munros in an anti-clockwise was the right one.

We followed the gravel track east towards Loch Eilde Mor. We spotted a couple of guys on trail bikes - does this class as a wildlife sighting? They seemed to be in their natural habitat, though maybe spoiling the tranquility of the glen. We skirted round the south side of Sgor Eilde Beag and headed for the south slope of Sgurr Eilde Mor. This munro had what I would call perfect conditions underfoot for both ascent and descent. Large rocks and boulders for light scrambling on the way up, gentle scree on the way down as we glided down the west slope.
Next was a small drop to cross onto the gentle and easily visible path to the east of Binnein Mor. Up to the bealach between the two Binneins - time for a quick rest and recharge. The ascent of Binnein Beag was again rocky. There was a scree slope east face, though we decided against it this time.
We headed for Binnein Mor. We could make out about half of the north and north east ridges from the lochan between them, but they both faded into the cloud. Between lay a snow-filled corrie, this was decision time! With just about perfect timing, a lone walker appeared on the end of the north ridge heading away from the top. We made a beeline for him and he made a bee line for us! After brief chat about the way the wind was blowing we headed for the highest point of the circuit. We were pretty pleased, the route home was set and it all looked straight-forward on the map.

The ridge heading south still had some cornices on the east side - we kept our distance as we made our way towards Na Gruagaichean.
P1030257.JPG
Ridgey Goodness

We dropped off to the west of the last peak of the day and soon caught sight of a path heading back to Mamore Lodge.
P1030266.JPG
Looking towards Am Bodach
I caught sight of Am Bodach and began thinking of the 'Ring of Steall' adjacent. From what I have read it is a step up but is on the to do list. We were back in the pub for 1730 and pretty pleased with ourselves. It turned out to be a great route - hopefully next time there will be a little less cloud!

Apologies for the lack of pictures - if you look at the pictures from other reports on these hill and add in cloud over the top half of each, you'll get the idea. A quick caveat - the ascent probably isn't accurate, it was a contour-counting exercise! :)
skillinabottle
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:22   

Re: Four Eastern Mamores

Postby Paul Webster » Thu May 06, 2010 2:27 pm

Thanks for the report - sounded a very dreich day :D

We spotted a couple of guys on trail bikes - does this class as a wildlife sighting?

Reminds me of a certain hotel's website that says that the area has great wildlife spotting opportunities - with many cows and sheep regularly seen :lol:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Milesy » Thu May 06, 2010 3:03 pm

Great wee circuit that. I done it end of last May on a fantastic summer day.

http://atthebealach.blogspot.com/2009/05/mamores-31-05-2009.html
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby skillinabottle » Thu May 06, 2010 10:42 pm

Thanks for the link. Your blog looks good. some nice pictures there. I see you did Ben Starav recently on a good day too. That has to be my favourite hill to date - I did it in t-shirt weather in late October and was blown away by the views down Loch Etive. :D
skillinabottle
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:22   

Postby mountain coward » Thu May 06, 2010 11:23 pm

Hmmm - I did a similar round but without Na Gruagaichean (which I did another day) and I was knackered! Mind you, I did start off from Kinlochleven itself and come up through the woods... Your ridge pic makes that ridge look really scary - luckily I've already done it so know it's okay really - I like to try to make my pics look like that though, often without success - a little mist probably does the trick! :D
mountain coward

Postby Milesy » Thu May 06, 2010 11:53 pm

skillinabottle wrote:Thanks for the link. Your blog looks good. some nice pictures there. I see you did Ben Starav recently on a good day too. That has to be my favourite hill to date - I did it in t-shirt weather in late October and was blown away by the views down Loch Etive. :D

Cheers. The Starav day was good. Done it from the other side. So walking right the way down the length of the Loch and then coming up over the back tops. Think we only started going up from the loch side about 2pm after a long, slow relaxing walk hence being on the summit at about 8pm as the sun was setting or something lol. Why rush on a day like that?

Also.. Lots of fine scree running fun in the Mamores :)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby monty » Fri May 07, 2010 10:36 am

Hi skillinabottle,
Nice report. Brings back memories of last year when I done these, starting at and returning to Steall waterfall, last year. I had some fun to say the least. The scree up the climb to the summit of Sgurr Eide mor was a bit scary at the time. Looking forward to the ring of steall to complete the mamores this year. :D
monty

Postby fingeez » Sat May 08, 2010 10:32 am

Looks like you had a good walk.
That pic with the cloud, snow, ridge looks a tad scary hahah
fingeez
Mountain Walker

Munros:115   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:11

Postby bradan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:38 am

A good report and a great help in tackling the four. Did them in a clockwise direction in 6.5 hrs last month although that saves to scree horror until last when one is tired :shock: Parking at the old Mamore Lodge is a great benefit..
bradan

Munros:282   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland