walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knoydart and the Rough Bounds day 4 - Ladhar Bheinn is fab

Knoydart and the Rough Bounds day 4 - Ladhar Bheinn is fab

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:32 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ladhar Bheinn

Date walked: 06/07/2015

Time taken: 9.45 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 875m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We have managed to reach Day 4. Last night I was feeling like I never wanted to see another hill again, but I had a great sleep and the morning dawned clear and sunny, with little wispy clouds wafting in and out making lots of atmosphere. It promised to be a lovely day for the Big 'Un.
here is the link to day 3. http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54410
P7061778.JPG
View down towards Inverie from our campsite

P7061780.JPG
happy breakfast tea

P7061784.jpg
Coireachan Leacach

P7061785.jpg
cloud blowing in and out

The original version of this trip had involved starting from Kinlochhourn and doing the circuit of Coire Dhorrchail anticlockwise, but after a bit of reading of books and trip reports it seemed more sensible to do it this way, doing the more difficult scrambly bits in ascent and having already eaten three days' worth of our food so leaving our packs a little lighter.
We had a beautiful spot to sit and eat breakfast and watch the clouds waft in and out of the amazing corrie opposite (between Meall Buidhe and Luinne Bheinn) but eventually we had to pack up the house and set off.
We decided to head back to the top of the pass where we had noticed a path setting off up towards Ladhar Bheinn but this path seemed to last all of twenty metres before disappearing into a bog.
Ah well, we thought, so we set off on a rough bearing into Coire a' Phuill (bog corrie) heading for the slope up to Stob a'Chearcaill where we thought we had seen a gap where we hoped to get up the steep cliff. The bearing weaved about a bit as we dodged bogs, but it was not long before we could see where we were heading for and it looked impassable from a distance with cliffs and waterfalls at the bottom of our target. But as we got closer we could see that there was a possible route right up at the eastern edge of the cliff. There was a short, steep scramble and then a path traversing nicely across the slope to pt.849 at the eastern end of Aonach Sgoilte.
P7061788.jpg
a wee tree hanging on for all it's worth

P7061790.jpg
Stob a'Chearcaill. We are heading for the highest point under the cliff where there is a short but straightforwards scramble easily seen when you get to it.

P7061791.jpg
Looking back - I think that's Sgurr Mor in the background on the right.

P7061795.jpg
Looking back to Mam Barrisdale, Luinne Bheinn and Meall Buidhe

We had our first snack stop just below the ridge line here and sat in the sun thinking it might just count as summer!
P7061797.jpg
The first scrambly bit negotiated, this is where we are going

P7061798.jpg
same view zoomed.

From this point there is another 1.5km of lumpy ridge with several ups and downs and quite a lot of hands on scrambling in short bursts, with one or two moves which are slightly tricky, especially with a full pack. We met a gentleman coming the opposite way, with an enormous rucksack, and were glad we had decided to go clockwise (less uphill, less down-scrambling).
P7061801.jpg
Wow! Sudden view down into Barrisdale bay

It was a fresh, breezy sunny day with excellent visibility and we stopped for a second lunch in a sheltered glade just before the final push to the summit.
P7061802.jpg
happy cups posing.

P7061804.jpg
up across the Glenelg peninsula to Skye and beyond

P7061805.jpg
across Loch Hourn to Beinn Sgritheall

P7061806.jpg
nearly at the top, and that's the way we go down.

What views from the summit and we were so pleased that it was a clear day for this most majestic of mountains.
P7061808.jpg
Rudolph on the summit, view out to Rum with Sleat in front and Canna behind, a bit of Eigg on the left

P7061809.jpg
Me again. Behind is Beinn Sgritheall.

And now we had the treat of walking along the airy ridge of Stob a'Choire Odhar. Nothing at all difficult but you get a feeling of being on top of everything, with great views of the cliffs of Coire Dhorrcail and the way we came, right into the hills to the south of Loch Quoich, with a real sense of satisfaction and achievement.
P7061810.jpg
Stob a'Choire Odhair with Sleat behind and the Cuillin behind that. Totally worth all the effort.

P7061811.jpg
Looking across Aonach Sgoilte to Meall Buidhe - and is that some Weather coming?

P7061813.jpg
looking East the way we came all those days ago

P7061816.jpg
down to Barrisdale

The path down the ridge eventually peters out and we declared UDI and took our own route down the grassy slope into the coire where a confluence of burns marks the start of the Stalkers path down into Barrisdale. This path was boggy at first but soon became another of these beautifully constructed, well graded paths that we were so grateful for.
P7061836.jpg
saying goodbye to Coire Dhorrcail

This brought us right down to Barrisdale Bay where suddenly we were confronted by midges. By this time it was clouding over with spits of rain but fortunately it never came to anything and by the time we had walked around Barrisdale Bay the rain had gone. We chose not to camp at the site because we didn't have any money with us and didn't know if there was a charge. Also we are a bit antisocial and like to be on our own. We found a lovely camping spot on the machair not far from the track and out of sight of the estate house. There was enough breeze to keep the midges away while we enjoyed our tea and watched a ringed plover sitting on its nest.
P7061842.jpg
sitting outside the tent

So, again, there was evening, and there was morning, and that was the fourth day.
When we walked out the next day we came across a polite sign asking people coming in from Kinlochhourn not to camp anywhere (particularly the sea shore!) except at the campsite. The explanation was to preserve the wildness and to avoid disturbing wildlife which makes perfect sense. There were no such signs when we came the other way and we felt very guilty and hope that we didn't frighten off the plover.
The campsite, for info, costs £1each per night so if we go again we will definitely take some pennies with us. The bothy is £3 per night

here is the link to day 5 http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54435

day 4 Ladhar Bheinn 20150706.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by mrssanta on Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Knoydart and the Rough Bounds day 4 - Ladhar Bheinn is f

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:57 pm

Stunning, Ladhar Bheinn looks magnificent (one of the biggest missing ticks on my all-too-long list of missing ticks)

What a trek.

We had a beautiful spot to sit and eat breakfast and watch the clouds waft in and out of the amazing corrie opposite

I remember looking at Coireachan Leacach from Loony Bin, and thinking what an incredible place it was.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby ancancha » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:27 pm

A better day for you and the views are fabulous.
Summit to sea :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby dav2930 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:12 pm

Magnificent. That's a steep hill to climb with a big back-pack! Well done.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby basscadet » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:36 am

So glad you got a good day for it.. Its never been clear when I've been in Knoydart, but maybe one day :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:40 pm

Great that you had another day of good weather - I'm sure it wasn't forecast to be such on MWIS!!!

I love the view looking out from your camp site in the morning - doesn't get better than this :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby mrssanta » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:51 pm

Mal Grey wrote:I remember looking at Coireachan Leacach from Loony Bin, and thinking what an incredible place it was.

I could have sat and looked at it all day -but I think the midges would have got me in the end!
ancancha wrote:A better day for you and the views are fabulous.
Summit to sea :clap:
oh yes sea and mountains what could be better?
dav2930 wrote:Magnificent. That's a steep hill to climb with a big back-pack! Well done.

thanks. bit bonkers really but it's the only way to get round the hills when you have all that way to come
basscadet wrote:So glad you got a good day for it.. Its never been clear when I've been in Knoydart, but maybe one day :D

one day I'm sure. worth going back for anyway
Alteknacker wrote:Great that you had another day of good weather - I'm sure it wasn't forecast to be such on MWIS!!!
:

the good thing about being out of contact for a few days is you don't get a forecast and you just get what you're given - but I think we picked the best week by the sounds of it!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:20 pm

They dont call it the Rough Bounds for nothing,stunning pictures.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland