walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knoydart and the Rough Bounds day 3. He said easier!

Knoydart and the Rough Bounds day 3. He said easier!

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:28 pm

Munros included on this walk: Luinne Bheinn, Meall Buidhe (Knoydart)

Date walked: 05/07/2015

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 1480m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was day 3 of our Knoydart epic and the link to day 2 is http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54326

We started this day's walk from our eyrie at about 600metres up the Druim a' Ghoirtein of Sgurr na Ciche and our aim was to reach mam Barrisdale via meall buidhe and Luinne Bheinn. This had to be an easier day than yesterday, surely?
P7051735.jpg
the happy mugs at breakfast with Sgurr na Ciche behind.

P7051737.jpg
setting off, with today's objectives in the background

It was another very long day, but the weather was much better, and we took our time a bit more. But they don't call it the "rough bounds" for nothing. The terrain is very complex, up and down all the time, great fun with a lot of little bits of hands on stuff all over the place.
We enjoyed our breakfast of muesli with freeze dried fruit and dried milk all mixed up in a ziploc bag and reconstituted with water - It's actually surprisingly good, especially if you can get hold of some freeze dried raspberries or black currants. I am not a porridge fan - I would like to like it, but the texture does not agree with me - makes me boak, so there you are.
Setting off about ten o'clock we came around a cliffy bit and saw the looong grassy slope straight down to the ford at Carnoch, and this looked an efficient way to descend if a bit steep. Crossing the River Carnach by the ford was straightforward even after yesterday's wet - actually I don't think there was all that much rain, just general dreichness.
P7051738.jpg
Let's go straight down!! you can see the ford of the River Carnach, the ruined remains of Carnoch and the path to Knoydart is beyond this

P7051739.jpg
Looking back up to Sgurr na Ciche and the slope we were coming down.

P7051740.jpg
Butterfly Orchid?

P7051745.jpg
Crossing the ford

Then Rudolph thought it might be fine to take a short cut across the bog rather than take the track - was fine to start with but led then to some very treacherous enormous and wobbly tussocks with gaping black holes between, not fun at all (in my opinion - Rudolph enjoyed this he said!)
P7051746.jpg
Looking across the boggy bog to the slopes we came down

We stopped for our first lunch and a brew on a handy rock above the ruins of Carnoch, before heading up the Mam Meadail path. Although a bit broken in places this is another well constructed and beautifully graded path which we followed to the summit at about 550m which is marked by a cairn.
P7051749.jpg
Sgurr na Ciche and the impenetrable Corbett, Ben Aden, from just above Carnoch

P7051750.jpg
Looking down on the ruins of Carnoch with its walled garden.

P7051755.jpg
Garbh Chioch Mhor appearing from behind Sgurr na Ciche, taken from the top of Mam Meadail

I had read in the SMC guidebook that it was possible to come down to this point from the south east ridge of Meall Bhuidhe, so figuring that going up is easier (technically anyway) than coming down I reckoned it would be possible. When we got there it looked rather rocky and unforgiving and again we had an argument about water - I had reckoned there would be reliable water here but it was not obvious - but easily found in fact just tens of feet to the north of the path.
From the path we could see a grassy rake going up somewhat on our right, and attacked this for the next 200metres of ascent which felt like "grass scrambling" - you just hang on with your hands and push with your feet and up you go! Of course you have to stop and inspect the wild flowers from time to time, just to make sure they are all right. After a while we could turn left a bit and came out on the ridge pretty much exactly in the right place, from which there was a wee path to pt. 942 (spot height on the 1:50,000, no spot height on the 1:25,000 map). Here we dropped our bags and strolled to the summit of Meall Bhuidhe feeling we had definitely earned another blue balloon.
P7051756.jpg
Looking down to the head of Loch Nevis, allowing me a wee rest from Grass Scrambling

P7051757.jpg
Quick break on gaining the ridge, for a bit of grub. Rum in the background

P7051761.jpg
Ben Aden on the left, Sgurr na Ciche and Garbh Chioch Mhor on the right, and the rest of yesterday's hills stretching out behind.

P7051765.jpg
on the summit of Meall Buidhe.

P7051763.jpg
Ladhar Bheinn from Meall Buidhe, tomorrow's target.

P7051764.jpg
Luinne Bheinn, the rest of today's walk. Looks a long way from here!

Returning to our bags, we pretty much followed the path all the way round the up-and-downy, knobbly ridge. It is not difficult to follow but there are a lot of places where you have to clamber over things and hold on with your hands. We saw a herd of hinds and young deer at the lowest point of the ridge but they didn't stop for a photoshoot. There were some gorgeous sparkly stones and the rocks are fascinating, all folded and mixed up with sparkly seams in them.
P7051768.jpg
Ladhar Bheinn again

P7051769.jpg
there's always a lochan

P7051770.jpg
one of the fascinating stones, picture doesnt really do it justice.

We were grateful to reach the summit of Luinne Bheinn at about 7.30pm.
P7051774.jpg
Rudolph on Luinne Bheinn

P7051775.jpg
me ready for the Loony Bin.

From there we followed the path back to the summit of Mam Barrisdale. At least we tried to but it petered out quite suddenly at about 570 metres and we saw it far below us following the old fence line. we quickly dropped down the side of the hill and it was apparent from the boot prints that lots of others have done exactly the same.
After a bit of prospecting we found a good camp spot with a great view down to Inverie Bay with the Brocket Memorial prominent in the distance.
P7051776.jpg
Rudolph blowing up the beds.

Tea was a hurried affair with much mashed potato spooned onto the midge nets, but we were too tired to sit around much anyway, so were soon in bed asleep. And it was evening, and it was morning, and that was the third day!

day 3 meall buidhe and loony bin 20150705.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Here is the link to day 4 http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54426
Last edited by mrssanta on Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Knoydart and the Rough Bounds day 3. He said easier!

Postby dav2930 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:14 pm

Inspiring stuff as the adventure continues! Some cracking shots of Sgurr na Ciche. Must have been quite satisfying to think you'd been over that the previous day. 8) Loved the bit about stopping to check that the wild flowers were ok - as good an excuse as any for a breather! :lol: Look forward to the next installment.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:49 am

This is such a great trip, well done to both of you.

I remember the very steep grass scrambling from Mam Mheadhail onto Meall Buidhe...which became slush scrambling just before we reached the ridge.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby ancancha » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:53 am

Nice views in the photos and I always like seeing Lochans :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:11 am

Really enjoying this saga. Great to see that, notwithstanding the dreadful forecasts for the NW (I scan them every day...), you had pretty reasonable weather (= high cloud base).

This is a place I dream of walking through.

I see from your camp prep pic that you're properly prepared for the rigours of the wild...

Beestie....jpg
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby mrssanta » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:10 pm

dav2930 wrote:Inspiring stuff as the adventure continues! Some cracking shots of Sgurr na Ciche. Must have been quite satisfying to think you'd been over that the previous day. 8) Loved the bit about stopping to check that the wild flowers were ok - as good an excuse as any for a breather! :lol: Look forward to the next installment.

thanks. It's always good to look at hills and think "i've been there!"
Mal Grey wrote:This is such a great trip, well done to both of you.

I remember the very steep grass scrambling from Mam Mheadhail onto Meall Buidhe...which became slush scrambling just before we reached the ridge.

at east we didnt get slush, I'd have slid right back down again!
ancancha wrote:Nice views in the photos and I always like seeing Lochans :clap:

can't beat a good lochan, especially one with sky in it.
Alteknacker wrote:
Beestie....jpg

great pic - they really like me I must taste good! Fortunately we didn't see the forecast after the first couple of days, but I think we were really blessed with the weather.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:16 pm

This is turning into an epic trip rool on the next dat
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland